Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Additional explores rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
- is there a limit to the number of extra explores you can do in a turn?
- at what point in your turn can/can't you extra explore.

i know that once you are reseting hand you can't do it.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you have cards to give you an extra explore you can keep exploring.
You can't use bonus explores before your regular explore, or once you reach the resetting your hand step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But no power can give you more than one extra explore [i.e. Ekzen's ability]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WreckingCrew wrote:

Where does it say that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:
WreckingCrew wrote:

Where does it say that?

I think they were talking about this:
Rulebook wrote:
Explore: When you explore, flip over the top card of your current location
deck. If it’s a boon, you may attempt to acquire it; if you don’t, banish it.
If it’s a bane, you must try to defeat it. (See Encountering a Card on page
10.) You may explore your location once per turn. Many effects allow
you to explore again on your turn; if, during a single exploration, multiple
effects each give you an additional exploration, it counts as a total of 1
more exploration, not a series of additional explorations.
You may never
explore on another player’s turn.

However, that original response was incorrect. A power can give you multiple explores if it allows for it as long as it doesn't give you those multiple explores during a single explore. However, most of the powers that allow for extra explores say 'the first time you explore,' etc, and thus can only be used once a turn. But there may be others in the future that don't have this limitation. Ezran's currently doesn't have this limitation.

Unless there's something I missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
System thinker
msg tools
There are a lot allies who let you explore for beeing discarded.

It happens to me a ton of times that i acuire an ally, having 1 card to much in hand. So i use that acuired allys ability to directly explore again, which is fine since you can play cards at any time. If the next card triggers another extra exploration, like ezrens ability or even another ally appears i keep extra exploring.

I think its ok since, for the allys, i use the card, which get discarded, like something to give, something to get.

No worries, also i can imagine that way of play, finding more and more people in a short time, helping you out quickly (not turning blessing card timer in that case). Nothing strange about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically you can explore as many times as you wish, HOWEVER if you are midway in an explore and trigger an event or situation that provides you with multiple explores they only count as one.

So there isn't a limit to explores as long as each explore is completed before you start the next, if you obtain extra explores when in the process of resolving an explore you will never receive more than one bonus explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
firedale2002 wrote:
dvang wrote:
WreckingCrew wrote:

Where does it say that?

I think they were talking about this:
Rulebook wrote:
Explore: When you explore, flip over the top card of your current location
deck. If it’s a boon, you may attempt to acquire it; if you don’t, banish it.
If it’s a bane, you must try to defeat it. (See Encountering a Card on page
10.) You may explore your location once per turn. Many effects allow
you to explore again on your turn; if, during a single exploration, multiple
effects each give you an additional exploration, it counts as a total of 1
more exploration, not a series of additional explorations.
You may never
explore on another player’s turn.

However, that original response was incorrect. A power can give you multiple explores if it allows for it as long as it doesn't give you those multiple explores during a single explore. However, most of the powers that allow for extra explores say 'the first time you explore,' etc, and thus can only be used once a turn. But there may be others in the future that don't have this limitation. Ezran's currently doesn't have this limitation.

Unless there's something I missed.

I've always found that phrasing confusing. I interpreted this to mean that you can't carry over extra explores. If multiple effects give you extra explores, they don't accumulate over 1. However, once you use that extra explore, you can generate extra explores, even by the same effect that gave you an extra explore before, but only if you trigger it again. That is, if there was an ability that said to discard two cards to explore again, you could explore, discard two cards, explore again, then discard two more cards, and get to explore a third time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
You can't use bonus explores before your regular explore, or once you reach the resetting your hand step.

I know you're right about the resetting your hand step, but are you sure about not being able to use a bonus explore before your regular explore? The "discard to explore" cards don't have anything on them to limit their timing, so I thought they could be used any time between flipping the blessings deck and resetting your hand. In the case of Lini with an animal ally, I could see doing this just to recharge the ally before starting to explore.

As for the other conversation that sprung up about getting limiting multiple extra explores at once, I can only think of one thing that does this. Ezren gets an extra explore any time he acquires a spell while exploring. There's a barrier (Mystic Writings or something like that) that gives you 1d4 spells if you overcome it. So if Ezren overcame that barrier and picked up 2+ new spells, that would trigger multiple extra explores, except that the rulebook says he can only get one extra explore out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The phrasing on that as multiple additional explores only count as 1 is there specifically for the locations like the General Store that has the phrasing of if you don't find one of 3 types of boons you get a free explore. This means you can't keep triggering that. At least that's what I think it is there for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
Fromper wrote:
medwards wrote:

I know you're right about the resetting your hand step, but are you sure about not being able to use a bonus explore before your regular explore? The "discard to explore" cards don't have anything on them to limit their timing, so I thought they could be used any time between flipping the blessings deck and resetting your hand. In the case of Lini with an animal ally, I could see doing this just to recharge the ally before starting to explore.

As for the other conversation that sprung up about getting limiting multiple extra explores at once, I can only think of one thing that does this. Ezren gets an extra explore any time he acquires a spell while exploring. There's a barrier (Mystic Writings or something like that) that gives you 1d4 spells if you overcome it. So if Ezren overcame that barrier and picked up 2+ new spells, that would trigger multiple extra explores, except that the rulebook says he can only get one extra explore out of it.

Are you sure that Lini can recharge animals which she is discarding? I thought that her animal recharge skill was limited to cards which were 'played' as opposed to discarded.

Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fromper wrote:
medwards wrote:

Has there been an official word on this yet? My understanding was that you can only use the 'to explore' cards after your first (free) exploration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kysmart wrote:
The phrasing on that as multiple additional explores only count as 1 is there specifically for the locations like the General Store that has the phrasing of if you don't find one of 3 types of boons you get a free explore. This means you can't keep triggering that. At least that's what I think it is there for.

Now, I think this DOES trigger every time you explore the store!

Some effects like this say "for your first exploration", the store does not.

The wording, to me, just means that you can't get 3 'explore again' effects during one exploration and save them up to use later. You can only ever have 1 "explore again" in the bank. But when you spend it you can top it up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Roberts
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:

Are you sure that Lini can recharge animals which she is discarding? I thought that her animal recharge skill was limited to cards which were 'played' as opposed to discarded.

Anyone?

If the animal has a power on its card that allows you to discard it to explore, then you did "play" it. The rule you're referencing is when Lini (or any other character) discards a card - any card - to get an effect or use a power...e.g., Lini's "bear form" where she discards to use d10 on a strength or dexterity check. That isn't "playing" an animal, as it's not triggering one of the effects listed on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

You are correct, but I believe that the example intended for Lini to be playing those allies for their "You may explore the current location." power, so you're both right.

If Lini discards an ally to, for example, feed the Town Square, she can't recharge it. (There's little reason to do that so far, but in the future adventures...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamemonster wrote:
The wording, to me, just means that you can't get 3 'explore again' effects during one exploration and save them up to use later. You can only ever have 1 "explore again" in the bank. But when you spend it you can top it up again.

Yep, this exactly! thumbsup

It's rare that you'll generate two extra explores at once, but if it does happen, award yourself a badge for being super-awesome and only use one of them (otherwise, you run into annoying memory and nesting issues).

Some locations are designed to be `burned through' very quickly, and that's an intentional balancing factor in scenario design (especially as the scenario scales from 1 to 6 players). When you find a location that you can close quickly, you should be awesome, feel awesome, and move on to the next one (chewing gum: optional).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.