Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Replay value rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.C. DaVault
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am on the edge from buying this or passing it up. My question is the replay value. Or is it one and done?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with different characters or groups of characters gives a different experience. There are also plenty of fan made scenarios, plus all the future adventures Paizo have produced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tanco
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you like solo games there is a lot of replay value. If you have finished all the scenarios with your friends and they want to play a different set of heroes then the replay value I say is high. Otherwise, you go through it once then put the game away until the next expansion arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wont account 2 or 3 play of the same 8 scenario a high replay value...

Sentinels of the multiverse got easily a hundred play (even without a computer version) and people are still wanting to play it because there is Billions of combination of heroes/environment/villain that provide for very different game experience.

Scenario driven game usually lost their appeal faster, and as there is currently not a lot of difference in gameplay between the 8 basic scenario (only 1 having some minor difference in winning condition), I will rate the replayability as moderate to low.

PAGC variety and difference is definitely lower. All the villains are quite similar, location share the same bane and boon cards randomised from the same pool for each scenario in a path. Heroes have minor difference in gameplay mechanically and they are all build from the same cards so they could be seen as somewhat generic indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
I wont account 2 or 3 play of the same 8 scenario a high replay value...

Sentinels of the multiverse got easily a hundred play (even without a computer version) and people are still wanting to play it because there is Billions of combination of heroes/environment/villain that provide for very different game experience.

Scenario driven game usually lost their appeal faster, and as there is currently not a lot of difference in gameplay between the 8 basic scenario (only 1 having some minor difference in winning condition), I will rate the replayability as moderate to low.

PAGC variety and difference is definitely lower. All the villains are quite similar, location share the same bane and boon cards randomised from the same pool for each scenario in a path. Heroes have minor difference in gameplay mechanically and they are all build from the same cards so they could be seen as somewhat generic indeed.

This is true; however, you also need to account for the 5 extra scenarios that get released every other month. I believe 7 of the initial 8 are of the standard villain format, but 1 is slightly different (recruit allies). Hopefully, future scenarios will have some more variety. Still, you do have a point that the scenarios are pretty similar. Then again, different Sentinels games feel pretty much the same to me mechanically too, despite the different heroes/villains/environment.

A year from now, I hope they release another adventure path with different mechanics than the standard "close the locations then defeat the villain."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh. Every game is going to be different. Every location has random cards, so even playing the same scenario with the same characters will play differently each time. As an example, playing two-player, my wife and I had one game where two of the henchmen were in the top two cards of their location, and were the two locations we explored first. Another game, the henchmen were all in the bottom half of the decks. We used the same characters, and the two games played very differently.

Then, if you vary characters you play, or vary the number of characters, you open or close different locations and how the game plays. Of course, choices for each characters deck also impacts how the game plays.

Now, throw in different scenarios, including fan-made scenarios, and there is a lot of replayability.

I just don't see how people aren't getting replayability out of the game. It's like saying Defenders of the Realm has low replayability because the bosses all move towards the city, and you are drawing from the same deck of Darkness/Hero cards each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
every time you play through a scenario it's going to have different content.

Two games will never play the exact same in this, despite the end goal being the same in the current two adventures we have.

There's tons of replay value in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my 14th most played game that I own, out of 380+. And I've only owned it a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
While each scenario will have the same locations (dependent on the number of players), each location's deck is completely randomized and unknown until you explore it.

I've played the first scenario 5+ times across three different groups and solo as well. I have enjoyed it each and every time.

I also use the character sheets provided by Paizo on their site and do not mark my cards. (This allows you to play with more than one group)
While set up between different groups takes a little more set up time (taking out cards from adventures not on yet with one, adding them back in for the other, getting all the cards for each hero), it really doesn't add much. I've not once felt the set up was too long. (First time it was, but that was due to unfamiliarity, now set up is a snap)

If you only play with one group, set up will be simpler cause there's spots to store characters and their decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.