Subject: FIrst play @ FALLCON 2013 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all BGG's,

So it was my first time at a Board game / game convention today! I was crazy impressed with what was offered here in town and was pumped to be a part of it!

While i was walking by some tables where people were setting up, something caught my eye on a table where players were setting up some demos. Allegiance caught my eye the 2 days before while on Kickstarter. I loved that it was a board game designed here in Calgary, and if that was not enough the art work looked great, very clean and vibrant.

So after making some brief eye contact i was asked if i would like to play, and we were off.

One of the designers played the Paladin class, while i dug into the Necromancer class.

Right off the bat, the art work that was on the cards was clearly a "working copy" but even at that it was obvious that the quality of art would be there. the designers mentioned that the components would be made of better material 2.5mm player bases for each character, and i even got a chance to look at some of the "final" artwork, and WOW! this game will pop for sure...

After a brief tutorial and concept overview we were off.

The basis of the game is in part very "Magic: The gathering" in how you turn a card sideways when using them, as well as how the cards themselves were setup with attack and toughness value, flavor text and power or action explanation. Everything else was a new style derivative. The designers wanted to offer players more options and control over other card games. As players increase gold production each round,and thus gain more gold, they are able to buy new powers both offensive and defensive. These range from adding elite units to your entourage to negating powerful effects and turning the tides of a game.

Although i lacked the basic comprehension required; from lack of TCG experience; the guys were there guiding me and suggesting different moves and trying to get me into the game to understand what, who and why things were happening.

I give kudos to the designers, i could see myself playing this down the road, but the learning curve for me would be moderate but by no means difficult.

My Necromancer's power were in the dead, or specifically the discard piles that form after killing off an enemy. He could lose units, but gain basic skeletons, he was also able to cause a player to discard cards which is never a great choice. Unfortunately even though i had him "on the ropes" at one point, i was ultimately annihilated but in good form. AS the designer gave me much heads up that my demise was nearing.

The designer was the Paladin, who was a protector, offering negating effects, and plenty of healing. Although he played quite offensively i could see that the paladin was a tough unit against the necromancer. Classic match up right?

Overall i was quite impressed with the game, the design and even the backgrounds from the designers, i wish them the best of luck, but i do not think they are too far from a homerun here.

If you can, check them out....

ALLEGIANCE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Underground Games
msg tools
publisher
Hey Jesse,

It was great meeting you at Fallcon. Its a pretty awesome event and I cant wait to attend next year.

Thanks for taking the time to write us our first review and im glad you enjoyed the game so much! I am sure the depth you provided have helped alot of people get a better understanding of Allegiance.

I hope to see you around at the sentry box on their board game night and we can have a rematch!

Cheers,
Adrian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.