Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Decker
United States
Kingsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anyone paint the figures found in various board games?

Most of the games I have use meeples or cardboard markers, but a couple of them, zombie games in particular, use figures that are, I guess, rubber or plastic.
I didn't want to go crazy with this so I was thinking maybe 6 to 12 small bottles of paint and a couple of brushes.
A few questions.. Model paint ok or do I need something different?
Any paints available that wash out with water?
Do I need to seal the figures after I am done with some kind of clear spray on?
Where do you get your painting supplies? Brand names are helpful so I get the right thing.
Does wanting to paint these figures put me into the deep end of the geek pool?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ddandb wrote:
Does anyone paint the figures found in various board games?

No, no-one at all does that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have access to an FLGS they most likely sell painting supplies for minis games. You probably want to get a primer too. As far as being weird, don't sweat it. You're up to your chest in 'geek' just by posting on this site. Also some games like The Adventurers sell separate sets of painted minis so there is definitely a lot of interest in this.

I've also painted my lieutenant and ambassador from Lords of Waterdeep because by default one is white and the other off-white, so now I can tell them apart without having to hold them next to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
In all honesty, you'd get the attention of a more knowledgeable group of people if you ask here: Miniature Painters Guild

*Not sure if you can post without being a member or not, but anyone can join and everyone there is very helpful and kind. Join us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
And thats the last we ever saw of
George Decker
United States
Kingsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Falconer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've painted Runebound (Second Edition) characters, Bombay Elephants & Palaces, two sets of cars for Formula Dé, the figures for Isla Dorada, my Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar gears, starships for Cosmic Encounter, the figures for Star Wars: Episode 1 – Clash of the Lightsabers and a spare set of figures painted white to play History of the World with seven people.

I also painted little pink hearts on my tokens of affection for Love Letter.

I am painting a double set of the super rare figurines for Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage right now, almost done.

If I had to start over I would get water based paint, but I am so used to the enamel stuff, I'd like to see how well the tubes of water based stuff lasts though. I am sure you can get good results with either.

I adore painted figures for games. But I am way past the deep end.

Blub. Blub.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Decker
United States
Kingsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
And thats the last we ever saw of
George Decker
United States
Kingsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

The sound of crickets chirping....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Brennick
United States
Lewiston
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I have painted Mansions of Madness, Mice and Mystics, Super Dungeon Explore,and The Adventurers: Temple of Chac. I have started but am a long way off from finishing Zombicide. I am not super skilled or anything, so my pieces don't have blending or awesome highlights or anything like that...but I really like how a game looks after it's been painted. The pieces stand out a lot more than when they were gray.

I've got several more games on my list to be painted, so I suppose I am long off the deep end, hehee

I use water-based acrylic paints. for brand I mostly use Citadel because I managed to get a huge set of them for cheap on ebay. I also have some Reaper brand paints (I prefer to use that brand when I use brush on primer too), and those have a nice, thick consistency, so when I mix in water they still look nice and bright.

One thing I missed when I was first starting out that I will recommend straight away is to soak the figures for a bit in warm water before you begin working on them. The releasing agent for the molds remains on the pieces for a long time, and washing it off will help the paint apply better.

Some nice, soft brushes (mine are sable hair I think) seem to work best, although I don't think there's any best brand to use. I did find some brushes that people use to decorate fingernails with in salons that I really love for detail work, because they are soft, fine and the handles are half length, so I find I have more control when I use those for painting tiny things.

I don't think you -have- to seal your work after, but I like to just for that extra bit of protection. I use a Krylon matte finish spray that really seems to work well. I do have a gloss finish for when I have painted monsters that I want to look really slimy (like some of the monsters in Mansions of Madness...matte finish does not do a Shoggoth well ), but usually matte is best.

It's a great way to relax after a long work day, so I hope you have fun with your painting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.