Lucas Connors
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I don't post on BGG very much, however I do use it extensively as a way of essentially journaling my board game collection and (more recently) my plays.

I have been recording my plays for just over a month now, and I been starting to wonder what other BGGers are using some of the player fields for. I think I understand what most people would use Name, Username, and Team/Color, Score, New, and Win for but I am not so sure about the others.

I imagine "Starting Position" might be used for a game like Last Night on Earth where each player begins in a different location on the board (perhaps LNOE isn't the greatest example, but you hopefully get the idea), but would you also use it in place of "Team/Color" for a game like Space Cadets where your position in the game can change? Does anyone use Starting Position as literally a way of describing where each player sat at the table? Does anyone use it to describe a starting hand in a card game?

Now "Rating" is the one field I am the most confused about. Is this field meant to be used as a way for players to record how they each felt about how that particular game went, or perhaps more generally on how much they enjoy the game as of that play? Or is the use of "Rating" generally used in some other way entirely?

Also, out of curiosity, do you use the other player fields I only briefly mentioned in an unusual way? If so, how do you use it?

I searched for a bit looking for someone else with a similar question but I couldn't find it, sorry if the question was already posted (or if this is the wrong place to post the question).

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RevolutionTech wrote:
Now "Rating" is the one field I am the most confused about. Is this field meant to be used as a way for players to record how they each felt about how that particular game went, or perhaps more generally on how much they enjoy the game as of that play? Or is the use of "Rating" generally used in some other way entirely?

It's meant to be used however *you* want.

Personally, I leave Rating blank, most folks that I run into do the same. Some record the end rank there (not needed for myself, since score does that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
RevolutionTech wrote:
I imagine "Starting Position" might be used for a game like Last Night on Earth where each player begins in a different location on the board (perhaps LNOE isn't the greatest example, but you hopefully get the idea), but would you also use it in place of "Team/Color"

When using those fields, I indicate who went 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc so that my formfill auto fills username and colors, since I list the players in the same order regardless of who went first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:

When using those fields, I indicate who went 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc

That's how I use "Starting Position" as well and I think this is how it is supposed to be used. In games like 7 Wonders, where all players play simultaneously and there is no starting order, I still use it to indicate the order in which players are seated at the table. (In 7 Wonders, it can be quite relevant which wonder/player was a neighbour to which other.)
I order player entries according to how they finished the game (from winner to last). Sure, the fields "score" and "win" indicate that as well, but it is easier to see if ordered.

I have always understood the "Rating" field to be supposed to be used for a rating number which has been assigned to you for your skill in the game (usually either as an Elo or as a TrueSkill rating, these are two different methods to determine a skill rating).
For instance, in Chess most players at club level and above have an official Elo rating assigned to them by their national and/or the international Chess organisation. (The name may differ on the national level, for instance it is called DWZ in German, but it is still based on the Elo algorithm.)
For other games, many gaming websites also give you a rating based on how you did in the game so far.
For instance, Yucata uses a TrueSkill system and the Catan Online World uses an Elo system for all of the games you can play there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Stimson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always list players in order of first player to last player, so starting position doesn't do much for me there.

I do use it for initial race/power selections in Small World, and often for first-two-turn buys if I remember to write them down in Dominion. I've been considering trying to come up with some kind of notation for "openings" in Summoner Wars and would use it there as well. (If I ever translate my personal spreadsheet to BGG).

Basically, for whatever early action may dictate long-term strategy and help me remember the particular game. Sometimes I use "team" for this kind of thing too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Glicko and Glicko-2 rating systems. Used eg. by some players of Go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use Starting Position for games in which we have different characters, abilities, or tasks, such as Space Cadets (starting position, with changes noted in comments) or Star Wars: Epic Duels (main/secondary characters). Otherwise, I leave it blank.

I only use the Team/Color field when we play in teams, to note who is on which team.

I always assumed Rating meant personal skill level, so I always ignore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.