Popular Tags: [View All]
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used army painter Necrotic flesh for the regular zombies as my base. I really liked the results and it saved me a ton of time not having to paint the skin. I am looking for something like that for the toxic zombies. Any ideas? I would like some suggestions rather than going and buying every green I can find and try them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I intend to use necrotic flesh, but with a green wash. And possibly a highlight of GW scorpion green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
I intend to use necrotic flesh, but with a green wash. And possibly a highlight of GW scorpion green.

I would second this. Washes are key to giving the skin tone different colours so you should be able to differentiate them enough to make them look like different types of zombies. If you're not really shading or highlighting then maybe AP Army Green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Reznor
msg tools
mb
I used skeleton bone for my regular zombies, gave them a pale look. How green do they come out with necrotic flesh? Not radioactive-looking enough? Haven't worked with washes a lot, yet. Still amateur level painter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been pondering this very question and am curious to see how everyone else paints their toxic zombies.

I used (and loved) Necrotic Flesh for my Season 1 zombies, but plan to go full-on green for the toxic zombies, so will be trying Army Painter's Goblin Green as a primer. I'll post some results once I actually receive the minis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorastro wrote:
I've been pondering this very question and am curious to see how everyone else paints their toxic zombies.

I used (and loved) Necrotic Flesh for my Season 1 zombies

Did you use Quickshade on those? It sure looks like you did.

I love the bases, but it looks tricky, I'd be curious to know how you did manage to cut all those bases without going nuts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:
Sorastro wrote:

I used (and loved) Necrotic Flesh for my Season 1 zombies

Did you use Quickshade on those? It sure looks like you did.

I love the bases, but it looks tricky, I'd be curious to know how you did manage to cut all those bases without going nuts!

Yes, I used the Stong Tone Quickshade; I've never used it before but was pretty happy with the results.

I found cutting the zombies off their bases pretty simple - I just sliced through the sole of their feet with a sharp craft knife. I think I would have spent far longer basing/painting the stands in the usual way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorastro wrote:

I used (and loved) Necrotic Flesh for my Season 1 zombies, but plan to go full-on green for the toxic zombies, so will be trying Army Painter's Goblin Green as a primer. I'll post some results once I actually receive the minis...

Wow. That is a seriously impressive set of zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
FezAZ wrote:

Thanks Todd. I can't overstate how easy the "Necrotic Flesh primer - base colours - Quickshade" technique made things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorastro wrote:
FezAZ wrote:

Thanks Todd. I can't overstate how easy the "Necrotic Flesh primer - base colours - Quickshade" technique made things.

On the zeds you only used primer - base colours - quickshade? Not a single work on the lights?

What did you apply the quickshade with, a brush, or the dipping and shaking technique?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:
Sorastro wrote:
FezAZ wrote:

On the zeds you only used primer - base colours - quickshade? Not a single work on the lights?

What did you apply the quickshade with, a brush, or the dipping and shaking technique?

For some of the zombies I did a quick, light dry brush on the dark suits to pick out the trouser creases etc (pre Quickshade), and I painted the eyes post Quickshade to preserve their brightness and make them "pop".

I applied the Quickshade with a brush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you used the same quick shade "strong tone" for all the colors on all the models ?
The effect is really good, seems much better than any brown wash from Citadels which makes light colors "dirty"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder what brush you used, as well.

I have a can of QuickShade strong tone but it doesn't give me the same result, for some reason.

My can is 2 years old though, that could be it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried necrotic flesh on some spare zombie figures I have, and couldn't get quite the same tone as you got. It is still quite green. How you applied the shade with the brush : on the whole model or with a fine brush only in creases and areas to shade?
Do you have work in progress pics that show the different steps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I've found some rough WIP shots I took whilst working on my Season 1 zombies; They're not brilliant as the lighting is mostly indoor and half were taken with my phone camera but I'm happy to share them if it helps.

I used an old brush to apply the Quickshade (just Strongtone) and just blobbed it all over the figures. After a minute or so I would then soak up any areas where it was pooling too much (such as between the fingers or in the mouths). I would sometimes find I had to do this a couple of times - checking every few minutes for over pooling.

Fist I stuck them all on some cardboard with white tack to make them easier to spray:

After a good coat of Necrotic Flesh:

Now with some simple base colors (plus a little light drybrush on the trousers):

..and now after a Quickshade:

...and another batch, just after a Quickshade:

And a final shot of the suited walkers after some matt varnish spray (I used the army painter stuff initially but the nozzle blocked so I now use Dullcoat) and the addition of glowey eyes and some blood:

Here was my first "test" fatty (Sorry again about the wildly-varying light conditions):

And here's all the fatties:

And here's the same process for the Abomination:

Base colors:

Quickshade:

Matt spray:

Finished with some additional highlights to the face, and of course, plenty of blood:

A final shot of the complete hoard:

I can't overstate how happy I am to have discovered Quickshade (I later went on to use it for my Space Hulk set). With two young children now running (and crawling) around my house, my free time is being squeezed, so the time-saving benefits that Quickshade offers is invaluable.

Happy painting!

S.

EDIT: I have created a YouTube Zombie Painting Guide for anyone that's interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this WIP is really helpful! thanks so much.

How many paint colors do you have/ use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look great, what recipe did you use for the blood? I am seriously tempted to do bases like yours when I get around to painting my set as they look great. Did you just use superglue to glue them to the base? I'd be afraid of misting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
They look great, what recipe did you use for the blood? I am seriously tempted to do bases like yours when I get around to painting my set as they look great. Did you just use superglue to glue them to the base? I'd be afraid of misting?

Thanks Jonah,

I used Tamiya Clear Red (X-27) with a little dark brown (Scorched Brown) and some black mixed in. It does give a nice deep color and glossy finish.

Yes I just used a small amount of superglue on each foot - often using my finger to dab off excess glue leaving just a thin layer. There is some occasional misting but it's barely noticeable once the figures are on the board.

One thing to mention regarding the clear bases is that the figures are inevitably more delicate as a result (those with smaller feet and the runners for example). So a small drop or bit of mis-handling will cause the figures to come off the stand. For me it's a price worth paying for how cool they look, and it doesn't take a minute to re-glue them back on, but it is something to be aware of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, misting and brittleness are my two main concerns. It does look very cool though. Have heard good things about Tamiya Clear Red so I'll have to pick some up. Of course, I actually need to get around to painting my set....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchet Jack wrote:
this WIP is really helpful! thanks so much.

How many paint colors do you have/ use?

Sorry for the late reply mate - I've never actually counted until you asked; I currently have around 40 paints out on my painting station (although I don't think I used that many for the zombies) and a further 40 or so in a draw. Many of those are several years old and probably need throwing out tbh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I've tried a couple of methods to achieve a good "toxic" look and in the end found the green primers (Army Green and Goblin Green) to be too dark. So I just used a simple glaze (Games Workshop's Waywatcher Green) over the usual Necrotic Flesh primer, followed by some Strong Tone Quickshade and I'm happy enough with the results. I could have gone to town adding additional highlights to add vibrancy but would rather keep things quick and simple when faced with such numbers!

I also tested a 50/50 glaze mix using Guilliman Blue and Bloodletter (again over Necrotic Flesh) for the beserker. I might try slightly different ratios perhaps for a more purple-ish look but here's the result anyway:

And for comparison here's a shot of all three zombie types (I deliberately kept the clothes largely the same colour for the sake of control):

I think there's enough differentiation in skin tone to spot them easily enough on the board, although I'm still a little unsure of the berserker colour.

How's everyone else getting on with their toxic experiments? zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorastro wrote:
Hi folks,

I've tried a couple of methods to achieved a good "toxic" look and in the end found the green primers (Army Green and Goblin Green) to be too dark. So I just used a simple glaze (Games Workshop's Waywatcher Green) over the usual Necrotic Flesh primer, followed by some Strong Tone Quickshade and I'm happy enough with the results. I could have gone to town adding additional highlights to add vibrancy but would rather keep things quick and simple when faced with such numbers!

Fixed that for you! They look really great, I agree that the Berserker could do with some more differentiation but the Toxic's look fantastic. Really need to get my backside in gear and try to paint some of these.

Are people bothering to clean the mold lines off? As a long time wargamer the bane of my life is mold lines and I hate removing them (particularly on the cheap plastic that Zombicide uses) but feel that I should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:

Fixed that for you! They look really great, I agree that the Berserker could do with some more differentiation but the Toxic's look fantastic. Really need to get my backside in gear and try to paint some of these.

Are people bothering to clean the mold lines off? As a long time wargamer the bane of my life is mold lines and I hate removing them (particularly on the cheap plastic that Zombicide uses) but feel that I should.

Thanks Jonah. I have to agree with you about the mold lines - they're a real pain. I've tried to scrape off the most obvious ones with a craft knife but there are some that are really fiddly to get rid of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, Do you have dogs? I would love to see painted dogs.
I assume the method is the same...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work!!!! I have to get back to painting mine....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.