Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: How many hours to play through base game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were to succeed first try at every scenario, about 8 hours. Some people claim to do this, others have a much higher loss percentage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Base game only has 3 scenarios in the Perils adventure. The base box does come with the first adventure for the Rise of the Runelords adventure path.

If you're talking about just the base game itself, if you succeed the first time through, and not counting reading the rules and learning the game, you could probably do it in 3-4 hours, and that's if it took you an hour for each scenario. Some people are much faster than this, and some slower

More people can increase the time more, too, because there's more table chatter, tactics discussion, 'help me' requests, and more people that need to think about what they'll do.

As far as succeeding the first time through, we've played the first scenario three times and ran out of time all three times so far, but nobody has died yet, so that's a good thing. One got very close, had no cards left in deck, and managed to evade an encounter with the Enchantress. Good times, good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously, I included the first Adventure since it came in the Base box. But technically, Firedale is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also depended how many times you play though,
1 complete 8 mission campaign , 1 to 1.5 hours per mission, so all in all 8 to 10 hours
but then you have the other characters and add on characters so double the time,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, most of the times you see mentioned here in this thread are if you succeed every single time. It's unlikely but possible, especially if you mess up on a rules idea or neglect to check out the Errata.

I think I saw someone say that, based on the statements here on the forums, on average, it'll take at least 3 attempts to successfully complete a scenario. So in the initial box, with 3+5 scenarios, counting an hour for each attempt, that's an average of 24 hours of gameplay.

Some gaming groups get together and play 2-4 hours a week, so for them, that's 3 weeks or more worth of play, if all they play is PACG.

It just all depends on how your group plays, how fast/slow they make decisions, and how rough the 'random number generator' (ie shuffling and die rolling) is for you to succeed at the scenarios.

There's also room for official replayability and it's infinitely replayable outside of the official scenarios, adventures, and adventure path.

All of this is just with the base set and the first adventure that comes in it.

As more adventures are released, it'll extend that much more for each one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
firedale2002 wrote:
I think I saw someone say that, based on the statements here on the forums, on average, it'll take at least 3 attempts to successfully complete a scenario. So in the initial box, with 3+5 scenarios, counting an hour for each attempt, that's an average of 24 hours of gameplay.

Wow... I think you're doing something wrong if it takes you three attempts for each scenario! I think the parties I've had have only ever ran out of time once (from playing almost 20 scenarios).

I've spent more than 30 hours playing games from the base box so far. I've solitaired a two character and six character party through all 8 scenarios in the base box (I find it takes just over an hour to play a two character game, just over two hours to play a six character game solo). I've also played some scenarios with friends and embarked on the AP with both a gaming group and my wife.

There's plenty to keep you going in there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamemonster wrote:
firedale2002 wrote:

Wow... I think you're doing something wrong if it takes you three attempts for each scenario! I think the parties I've had have only ever ran out of time once (from playing almost 20 scenarios).

I've spent more than 30 hours playing games from the base box so far. I've solitaired a two character and six character party through all 8 scenarios in the base box (I find it takes just over an hour to play a two character game, just over two hours to play a six character game solo). I've also played some scenarios with friends and embarked on the AP with both a gaming group and my wife.

There's plenty to keep you going in there!

Yeah, if you get into this game and really dig it, good luck playing through only once; my bookkeeping might as well be a whole game itself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rougenoir wrote:
Milarky wrote:
also depended how many times you play though,
1 complete 8 mission campaign , 1 to 1.5 hours per mission, so all in all 8 to 10 hours
but then you have the other characters and add on characters so double the time,

Correct. And if you decide to solo each of the 7 base set characters through the full 8 scenarios, that's 56 hours at a minimum. Then you can start trying to solo combinations of 2 characters from the base 7, which offers 21 combos I think, or a further 168 hours, if they never lose. Then you can try any combination of 3 characters ...etc...

In summary, I'm fairly sure you can get more than 8 hours.

Except you will be bored to death before half that time...

There is not that much difference between character to play all eleven solo. And encoutering the same boon and banes for 11 campaign ? That is plain dull.

I think you will play this once solo, once with a group and, If you have no other game to play perhaps once more then wait for the expansion pack and pray it offer different gameplay. Every scenario is build from the same cards with quite minor différence between location and vilain/henchman. Not on the scale of diifering goal as in LOTR or SotM nor variety in encounter like in Agent of the Smersh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
There is not that much difference between character to play all eleven solo.

I could not possibly disagree more. I've already enjoyed playing different characters in a group setting and exploring their differences. However, a good group can overcome most obstacles and the character differences can become less pronounced.

Solo, though, the game plays SO dramatically different with each character that it's suddenly added a tremendous value to the game for me. Each subtle difference in powers and card selection between them forces you to analyze and act on each turn to play directly to the character strengths. And the funny thing is, the thing that usually causes any chance of failure in solo games are your characters limitations, rather than the game situation. Valeros is great, for example, right up until you need Wisdom to close locations, and you have to plan for that and waste a couple turns in the process... or even worse, you hit a Siren.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I doubt if I'd want to play through the whole thing with every possible character combination all the way through, I also definitely wouldn't just play through the 8 adventures a single time. You'll want to explore different characters, in different combinations.

And because there are random cards in the locations each time, you can easily play through each scenario several times without it being redundant. The exact number of times might depend on the individual player, but I could easily see going through each scenario at least 5 times with different character combinations before they start to seem routine.

Plus, that's just playing the adventures that the game comes with. There will be more published every two months, plus you can create your own, or look for the fan made adventures. There are at least 10 fan made adventures, some with multiple scenarios, already available on the forums of the publisher's web site (Paizo.com). The amount of possible customization is one of the great features of this game. But I guess I'm showing my table top RPG roots in thinking that making your own adventures is normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hawks
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamemonster wrote:
firedale2002 wrote:

Agreed. I've played 20-30 scenarios, and the only time I've lost was playing solo (with Ezren.) We've come close a couple of times, but typically, we have about half the blessings deck left to go at the end of the scenario.

I've played mostly 3-player, if that makes a difference, but I have played a 6-player game and a number of 2-player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group of 4 is, not to be modest, generally *very* good at co-op games. We have played enough co-op games that we work well together and know each others strengths and weaknesses. That said, our first attempt/tutorial game of Brigandoom ended in failure by running out of Blessings (timer). That said, all of our henchmen were in the bottom half of the deck, and we did have the bad luck to roll poorly and fail two location closings. We still weren't all that close to winning when it ran out.

I personally think that succeeding at a scenario on the first try probably isn't the norm for 4+ players unless you get very lucky with the cards or dice rolls, as the time margin is too slim for much error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:
Our group of 4 is, not to be modest, generally *very* good at co-op games. We have played enough co-op games that we work well together and know each others strengths and weaknesses. That said, our first attempt/tutorial game of Brigandoom ended in failure by running out of Blessings (timer). That said, all of our henchmen were in the bottom half of the deck, and we did have the bad luck to roll poorly and fail two location closings. We still weren't all that close to winning when it ran out.

I personally think that succeeding at a scenario on the first try probably isn't the norm for 4+ players unless you get very lucky with the cards or dice rolls, as the time margin is too slim for much error.

Probably true. The game does require more strategy with more players, so a first time group will probably not handle it well while still figuring out the rules.

I played it solo first to learn the rules and picked up some strategy myself and some online, before introducing anyone else to it. That seems to have made a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

We've played through all the adventures 3 times now with 3 different sets of 4 characters, and only failed an adventure once. And that was on our 3rd play of that adventure. (It was the one where you have to recruit allies of all things; we didn't have a foe to fight!).

We made several mistakes (well, most of them we were playing by the rules, but the rules were wrong), but every single one worked against us rather than for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rougenoir wrote:
Fromper wrote:
While I doubt if I'd want to play through the whole thing with every possible character combination all the way through, I also definitely wouldn't just play through the 8 adventures a single time. You'll want to explore different characters, in different combinations.

Exactly so. My suggestion was of course OTT, but it was a response to the absurd suggestion that you would get no more than 8 hrs and a single play from the base game. It is equally hard to believe that the OP was satisfied with that answer.

For the record, I never said "no more than 8 hours". I said 8 hours if you succeed at every mission playing through once. That's more of a minimum time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Knodel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
What surprises me is that no one mentioned that you can create your own
scenarios with this game.

The question the OP asked would be similar to asking how many hours will it take to get through 1 DnD module, not realizing that you have the whole DnD system at your disposal for unlimited adventures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several people have posted fan made scenarios with custom mechanics already, both here and on Paizo's site. And there are going to be 5 new scenarios every 2 months. Plus, playing the same scenarios with different characters comes out feeling very different, because there are 11 characters (not counting the fan made ones posted around here), and they all play differently.

I won't say that there are infinite replay opportunities before the game gets boring, but if you can't get at least 30-40 hours worth of entertainment out of the stuff that's already out there, plus more in a few weeks when the next adventure pack comes out, then I kinda feel sorry for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Knodel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
petercox wrote:

I mean, really all you're doing it adding a different paste on plot to what is essentially the same gameplay,

and that is different from DnD how? You don't get different mechanics by starting a new DnD module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
banjothulu wrote:
boardgamemonster wrote:
firedale2002 wrote:

Agreed. I've played 20-30 scenarios, and the only time I've lost was playing solo (with Ezren.) We've come close a couple of times, but typically, we have about half the blessings deck left to go at the end of the scenario.

I've played mostly 3-player, if that makes a difference, but I have played a 6-player game and a number of 2-player games.

We've played somewhere around 20-25 times now, each time with 3-6 characters (with a bias towards 5- and 6-character games). I've played about 8-10 games solo (sometimes with a pair of characters, sometimes with just 1). We're experienced gamers who can beat Ghost Stories, smash Pandemic, Flash POint, Shadows over Camelot etc etc.

And our win/loss ratio is as close to 50/50 as makes no difference. The usua pattern is to play a scenario and lose, replay it and win, implying that we didn't get it right the first time, though some games are clearly easier than others. We're really *not* getting a "one and done" vibe from the game, and have restarted the campaign with new characters awaiting Adventure Deck 2. And although the villains - and the basic idea - of each scenario is familiar, the game is neither any easier nor any less exciting for being our second time through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Well in terms of value in pure hours/$, it's worth noting it gets more efficient the more add-on decks you buy. If we take the 8 hour thing as true (albeit for getting through with no fails):

$60 for the base set that gives 2 hours introductory scenario and 6 hours for the first adventure deck.

There are five adventure decks planned and printed at $20 each, so that's $100 for 30 hours if we assume they are 6 hours each..

So a total of $160 for 38 hours play.

So if you get everything, that's $4.21 per hour.

Your target of 20 hours for $60 base set comes out at $3 per hour. So it's still out of your spec, but much, much closer than the initial figure looked (8 hours for $60 = $7.50 per hour).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people - and storm knight is one of them - seem to be able to win every scenario they play. But it would seem that the 50/50 win/loss ratio is closer to the norm. Thus to play through the first 8 scenarios - those in the box - equates to 16 hours of gameplay.

Which is better value - a single-player video game for $50 that has 20 hours of gameplay, or a $50 board game which takes four players 16 hours to ay through? I don't know, not being a fan of video games these days. But Pathfinder has been played at least as often on our game club nights as any other game this year, and a lot more than quite a few games. Unless they are "hits", we tend to play a game just nice or twice. Games without any scenarios or scripts thus often have fewer hours of gameplay than one that has these scenarios.

However, although the scenarios are "fixed" - a given scenario will use the same villain and henchmen, have the same number of monsters and equipment cards each time it is played - because those villains can be easy to find or hard, can be in one location or another, the monsters can be thematic or random, can appear undefeatable or walkovers, every playing of a scenario will be completely different.

There are some scenario-based games where playing through a given scenario once probably does represent the most likely way to play through the game (Mice and Mystics, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective), there are other games where the scenario is simply a reuseable setting - games like Heroscape or Mage Knight The Board Game. Although the point of the game will vary somewhat from scenario to scenario, and the aim of a given scenario will always remain the same, the game itself contains so much variety that to play through each scenario of the game doesn't give you the feeling that you've completed it, but rather that you've left a lot of things unseen, undone. Can you call yourself a real hero if you've never encountered, let alone defeated, the stone giant - because it wasn't drawn from the box on any of the 8 games that you played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.