Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
Awhile back I went to the thriftstore & found these tic-tac-toe Kiwis & Pūkeko which I had to get as they were just so cute. When I got them I was vaguely thinking to use them for Shear Panic & was suggested by others they would work for Hey! That's My Fish & Splut!.

1st here's a picture of the completed project.

As they were both New Zealand birds I went with a that as the theme thus was born 'Egg World'. Luckily I'd just discovered Fimo doll formula which is the bomb. The detail you can get is amazing & as I had to paint the pieces to match the tic-tac-toe pieces all was well.
1st I sculpted 1 of each pieces to figure out the design. I also painted up the kakapo with acrylics to test the painted look. I was just going to use him as a test & not put him in the final set but I love his wonky look so he stayed. By the way when I was sculpting him I kinda had the Mynha bird from Merry Melodies in mind.

So once I had the initial sculpts done it was time to do the rest. I had to distinguish between 2 of the birds in each set for Splut! to be the sorcerer & the ogre. I gave a stick to one & an egg to another. The Stick Goddess or Michelle is the sorcerer & the Egg Chucker is the ogre, any of the 2 others would be the dwarf. I also needed to make bases for the bought birds so they could work in Shear Panic.

All the bits sculpted & baked

Kakapo

Erect Crested Penguin

Next it was time to paint. I'm a messy everything & painting is no exception, at one point I tipped the blue & acquired a new dedicated painting shirt. Me & blue have a magnetic relationship, I always seem to get it all over me.
Here's an image of my painting station about halfway through.

1st I painted the bases & glued on the Kiwis & Pūkeko. I painted the eggs the color of each bird's eggs

Next I did the eggs. The eggs are the olive green eggs of the Shining Cuckoo, although a tad brighter.

Then it was The Garden, The Possum & The Shining Cuckoo(aka:Rodger, The Shearer, & The Black Sheep)

Both the Kakapos & Penguins were painted at the same time.

With all the sculpts done I needed to design the cardboard bits. I started with the hex tiles for Hey! That's My Fish. I mounted them on foamcore which I don't like that much but that's what I had. I'll probably redo these on some Risk boards once I pick up another one at the thriftstore but for now they'll do.

Then it was the scoreboard which was a simple affair.

The player boards are modified files from the game page. I took out the sheep pictures, edited some words, & changed the colors to black, blue, green, & brown to match the birds.

Finally I needed a Splut! board. From the beginning I wanted to just make a leather board with hand painted or burned lines but I never found a piece of leather big enough at the thriftstore. So now I needed to design one, I really like how it turned out. This is the only file that might be useful to anyone else so if anyone wants it it can be downloaded HERE. Please note that I just added the wooden background to the image for effect, it isn't actually part of the file. The centre runes say Egg World by the way.

Bird Panic

Hey! Where's My Egg

Splut! No need to change the name of this

This has been a long project but I quite pleased with it. There are a few things I might change but all in all I'm happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome DIY work! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freakin' Ed
United States
Saylorsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very impressive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, it was a lot of work but I love these. Definitely a fun build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
Wow. I'm from New Zealand and i must say a Very good Job.
Keep up the Good work.!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG(osh) that's simply awesome!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the real Pukekos ... fimo ones are even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.