EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I'm a bit confused by the Mutiny deck/Mutineer.

For one, I'm not sure how the Mutiny stuff is supposed to work, thematically speaking. In the show, the mutiny was A Really Bad Thing that nearly tore the humans apart - in the game it seems to be a "you can do some cool stuff but at a cost" but might get tossed in the Brig. That doesn't sound terribly bad to me...

And unless I'm missing something, are there no real consequences for being the Mutineer? I mean, I'd have thought that the Mutineer would at least get Executed at some point or something (which would be in keeping with the show), but it sounds like they just get thrown in the brig like anyone else (but can have more Mutiny cards before they do). And I find it a bit odd that the Mutineer is instantly revealed when it's received as a Loyalty Card - wouldn't the Mutineer want to stay secret?

Am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mutineer is forced to draw a Mutiny Card if there is a Jump Prep Icon on the Mutineer's Crisis.

The Mutineer also draws an extra Loyalty Card to replace the revealed Mutineer Card, so they are still just as likely to be a Cylon.

Edit: Clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDG_ wrote:
I'm a bit confused by the Mutiny deck/Mutineer.

For one, I'm not sure how the Mutiny stuff is supposed to work, thematically speaking. In the show, the mutiny was A Really Bad Thing that nearly tore the humans apart - in the game it seems to be a "you can do some cool stuff but at a cost" but might get tossed in the Brig. That doesn't sound terribly bad to me...
Eh... it's similar to Trauma tokens in Exodus' IN module... "trauma" isn't a pleasant thing, but will say that it's definitely something that can make something a better person, or can be good otherwise. Similar concept applies to Mutiny.

EDG_ wrote:
And unless I'm missing something, are there no real consequences for being the Mutineer?
As mentioned, the Mutr (Mutineer) draws an extra loyalty card, but I believe that ends up being neutral. The Mutr. card is in essence a YANAC card, so no difference there (the Cylon Symp and Symp Cylon from base and Peg respectively don't have you drawing an additional Loyalty card, but it's a "sidegrade" since some people may prefer any of those to the Mutr and vice versa).

As also mentioned, the Mutr draws a Mutiny card if he resovles a crisis card with a jump icon, he draws a Mutiny card, so that helps balance out having a higher limit of 3 before going to the Brig.

Not mentioned (at least yet), the Mutineer loses titles upon getting that card. Not having titles isn't always bad for the Mutr's team, but losing that control isn't non-trivial.

Again, it's just like the Cylon Symp, or Symp Cylon. The former is typically considered bad, but sometimes, it ends up turning you into a cylon and putting you on the winning team. For the latter, some people like being a "cookie cutter" CL (with no skill set nor abilities), like a change of game pace, or would've liked to switch teams anyways.

EDG_ wrote:
I mean, I'd have thought that the Mutineer would at least get Executed at some point or something (which would be in keeping with the show), but it sounds like they just get thrown in the brig like anyone else (but can have more Mutiny cards before they do).
Well, gameplay-wise, there's no execution in Day, and they get to keep it that way.

Thematically, IIRC there were Mutineers who weren't necessarily executed. Otherwise, go with the we're telling our own story.

EDG_ wrote:
And I find it a bit odd that the Mutineer is instantly revealed when it's received as a Loyalty Card - wouldn't the Mutineer want to stay secret?
You could say the same thing with the Cylon Sympathizer and Symp Cylon.

EDG_ wrote:
Am I missing something here?
[shrug] Probably, but I try not to think TOO hard about that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea is that the mutineer actually wants what is best for the fleet, and thinks that their actions are justified, whether they are or not. They aren't trying to destroy the fleet.

To that end, the Mutineer's efforts (the Mutiny cards) may be helpful or harmful to fleet. The overall theme though is that the cards tend to give players abilities that often attack those with titles, or emulate the abilities of those with titles. If the title holder is trustworthy, these mutiny cards are likely to be a nuisance. If the title holder is not trustworthy, mutiny may actually be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks folks, that's made it a bit clearer for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mutineer card means that Mutiny is always an issue, and they will often want to spend their turn getting rid of a Mutiny card from their hand rather than doing something more useful. Thematically, they're someone more like Lee Adama or Gaius Baltar or Starbuck in the later series - someone who disagrees with the direction of the fleet and is an open focus for rebellious sentiment - rather than someone like Gaeta or Zarek who is actively attempting to overthrow the current leaders.

Mutiny cards tend to either be good for you/your side at a title-holder's expense, or provide a trade-off by giving a generally good effect with a generally bad side-effect. Thematically, they represent bypassing the chain of command and going outside established procedures to do "the right/necessary thing"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
But the mutineer isn't necessarily always going to be in play, because it's only there if there are 4, 5+CL, 6, or 7+CL players, right?

I guess I still don't really see any major consequences for the characters for mutinying though, and it feels like there should be. Unless the consequence is that by being in the brig they have a better chance of being executed, but that doesn't really make the mutiny cards go away because the player's next character will still be able to draw them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDG_ wrote:
But the mutineer isn't necessarily always going to be in play, because it's only there if there are 4, 5+CL, 6, or 7+CL players, right?

I guess I still don't really see any major consequences for the characters for mutinying though, and it feels like there should be. Unless the consequence is that by being in the brig they have a better chance of being executed, but that doesn't really make the mutiny cards go away because the player's next character will still be able to draw them.
Since Mutineer is something that gets dealt out randomly, I don't think it should be strictly a bad thing. It just makes you play "differently". For all that matters, it may not make the Mutr a "half human, half cylon"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
EDG_ wrote:

I'm not quite sure what your question is. Being in the brig is nearly always bad for whatever team the brigged character is on. Fundamentally, Mutiny cards allow characters to do things that normally are more the domain of the President and Admiral, and put them in danger of going to the brig if they don't do those things. I really have no idea what your expectations for the mechanic are, though, so it's rather difficult to figure out how to respond to your post.

Thematically, the Mutiny cards don't necessarily represent a full blown mutiny, but a variety of actions characters take to subvert the authority of the leadership. Lots of characters took such actions over the course of the series, including Adama and Roslin. Of the top of my head...beyond the obvious, there's also Apollo, Starbuck, Tigh, Anders...the list goes on and on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
ok, thanks. I suppose I'm seeing it more literally like the show, where the mutineers and loyalists were more polarised and wanting to kill eachother more. But do I get what you're saying.

Guess I'll see how it works in practice, that may help me get my head around it better .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only characters on board Galactica that never entertained mutinous thoughts or committed technically "mutinous" actions were, ironically, Boomer and Athena. Dee, Cottle, Kat, and Hot Dog might qualify but they were never focal points enough for us to know for sure.

In game terms the reason Zarek and Geatea were executed was less because they were dissidents and more because they went way too far and went against the rest of the group's plans instead of just keeping their heads above water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't know about you, but I'm quite sure shooting the Admiral in the chest counts as a mutinous Action.

Agree on Athena, I guess. I don't recall if she helped Helo avoid Cylon Genocide?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is at least one example for Athena

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When Athena freaked and shot Natalie Faust (the Six) because Athena thought she was going to take Hera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Another head-scratcher for me here:

Can people who have the Admiral and/or President positions also be the Mutineer? Or even use Mutiny Cards themselves? Because that seems really weird to me if they can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone except (revealed) Cylons can have mutiny cards. The Mutineer gives away all title cards he may have (edit: when he becomes the Mutineer, yeah, I was too lazy to add this at first).

You should really go over the Mutiny cards and read the actions they have. They have some beneficial effects for the humans and/or whoever plays them, but also costs or consequencies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not completely outrageous for president and admiral to have mutiny cards. Their positions come with their own standards of conduct which the holder may or may not respect. Not to mention that the two may be at odds I both each other. "Mutiny" may not be the proper word for the admiral undermining the President, but the idea is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
The Mutineer gives away all title cards he may have.

That is not entirely correct.

Daybreak Page 6 wrote:
When a player receives the “You Are a Mutineer” Card facedown, he must immediately reveal the card and draw an additional Loyalty Card. Anytime a player receives the “You Are a Mutineer” Card, he draws one Mutiny Card and gives each Title Card he has to the player whose character is highest in the order of succession for that title (excluding himself). (After that, the Mutineer gains and loses Title Cards normally.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Arcadious wrote:
Daybreak Page 6 wrote:
When a player receives the “You Are a Mutineer” Card facedown, he must immediately reveal the card and draw an additional Loyalty Card. Anytime a player receives the “You Are a Mutineer” Card, he draws one Mutiny Card and gives each Title Card he has to the player whose character is highest in the order of succession for that title (excluding himself). (After that, the Mutineer gains and loses Title Cards normally.)

I think there are Mutiny Cards that let you steal the President or Admiral card from someone else, so I guess that kinda makes sense? Still seems odd for a President or Admiral who isn't the Mutineer to be able to play a Mutiny Card though.

Another question: some of the Mutiny Cards (e.g. A Necessary Risk) say to place ships on a 'space area' - if the Cylon Fleet board is being used, are the ships placed there or on the Galactica board?

Also, what cards allow you to draw Mutiny Cards? How often do they show up in a game? Is it likely for players to end up in the Brig a lot because they've got more than one Mutiny card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
EDG_ wrote:
say to place ships on a 'space area' - if the Cylon Fleet board is being used, are the ships placed there or on the Galactica board?

"Space area" without a qualifier refers to an area around Galactica (i.e. the main game board).

EDG_ wrote:
Also, what cards allow you to draw Mutiny Cards? How often do they show up in a game? Is it likely for players to end up in the Brig a lot because they've got more than one Mutiny card?

Skill check effects and discarding some Treachery cards causes you to draw mutiny. The new Colonial One locations can also manipulate mutiny cards.

When you get a second one (or a third one as a Mutineer), you select which one to keep and go to the brig. The probability changes, so you are basically pushing your luck with keeping a mutiny card in hand. Especially so if you are the president (someone can take the presidency).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
We had our first game and now i see how they work. I think only two people got brigged because of excess mutiny cards (I was one of them) - unfortunately the cards that showed up in our specific game weren't terribly useful for anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.