Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 5 Player Deck Builder Recommendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When Ascension Chronicle of the Godslayer went free on ios a few weeks back I got it. I enjoyed it and it made me want to add a deck builder to my collection.

I am thinking Legendary is the game I should get because my usual gaming group is 5 and my oldest kids (6, 8, and 10) also play with my wife and me regularly.

Are there any other deck builders I should consider that play 5 and the kids would enjoy?

Thanks in advance!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Sentinels of the Multiverse?

Never mind, not a deck builder. Sorry.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
msg tools
Postin’ over here, boss.
badge
Post over there, Luke.
Avatar
mb
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
StercusCaput wrote:


For a more easier-to-setup and learn one, DC Comics Deck-Building Game.

Also there's similar one but has the theme with Lord of the Ring.

All the above are variations on Ascension mechanism, so it's mostly down to which theme you and your group would like.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! So far it looks like Legendary is still the one I'd go with, but if there are any others I need to consider please let me know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arctic Scavengers plays with 5. But I have no experience if it's easy on the kids, sorry.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I never realized how many of the big deckbuilders max out at 4 players until you mentioned this. I have played Dominion with five players before, but the downtime gets pretty significant. Perhaps Core Worlds? Might be too long and complicated for kids though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff James
msg tools
I haven't played Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game so I can't say if it's good or bad. I have played DC Comics Deck-Building Game and love it. The thing that made me get it over Marvel is it's not a co-op and very easy to teach and learn but it seems a better player wins more often then not. With DCDB the only things you have to worry about is "power" which is used to buy stuff and "victory points" used to win. With playing with younger kids I think that is a plus.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolinski
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arctic Scavengers+1 just played this this weekend with my 10 yr old boy, after the first few turns he got the hang of it, we just played the base game, we really enjoyed it, we want to try it again and add the expansions to it
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff616 wrote:
I haven't played Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game so I can't say if it's good or bad. I have played DC Comics Deck-Building Game and love it. The thing that made me get it over Marvel is it's not a co-op and very easy to teach and learn but it seems a better player wins more often then not. With DCDB the only things you have to worry about is "power" which is used to buy stuff and "victory points" used to win. With playing with younger kids I think that is a plus.


I've heard the DC comics game is basically Dominion with a different theme pasted on. Is that true?

To the OP, you could always do an advanced search as well, and put "5" as the max players and choose the "Deck Building" mechanic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff James
msg tools
Couldn't tell you never played it
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Jeff616 wrote:
I haven't played Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game so I can't say if it's good or bad. I have played DC Comics Deck-Building Game and love it. The thing that made me get it over Marvel is it's not a co-op and very easy to teach and learn but it seems a better player wins more often then not. With DCDB the only things you have to worry about is "power" which is used to buy stuff and "victory points" used to win. With playing with younger kids I think that is a plus.


I've heard the DC comics game is basically Dominion with a different theme pasted on. Is that true?

To the OP, you could always do an advanced search as well, and put "5" as the max players and choose the "Deck Building" mechanic.


No, it's Ascension lite with a superheres theme. Legendary is Ascension take-more-time-to-set-up-and-is-coop with a superheroes theme.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to add, if you got one of the big box Ascension sets plus one of the small box sets, per the rules, Ascension accommodates up to 6 players. Just sayin'
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the tips.

It's good to know that Ascension plays up to 6 with some expansions. I might have to get that for the group, but I know my kids would enjoy the superhero (DC or Marvel) theme more. Thunderstone falls into this category also. I'll check it out if I get one for the kids and another for the group.

Arctic Scavengers wasn't on my radar; I'll check it out.

Can anybody comment on if Core Worlds is kid friendly? At first glance I can see why Jordan would have some concern that it's too long and/or complicated.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain is kid friendly and with the expansion, plays up to 5. Unfortunately, it's not expected to be in stores for a few months yet.

I think the DC Comics Deck-Building Game is a good suggestion
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fortyfive wrote:
Can anybody comment on if Core Worlds is kid friendly? At first glance I can see why Jordan would have some concern that it's too long and/or complicated.


It depends on the kid and how competitive they want to be, or if they are satisfied in playing along. However, I think 10+ years would be good.

The game mechanics are not that complicated, but there are a lot of different cards, so it is sometimes not easy to select between them. But that is true during the whole game: you try to prepare, but are never sure what you are going to have to go against.

And yes, with 5 players you're probably going to have a 3-hour game. With three about 90 minutes.

But you can still get it as your 3-player game with deckbuilding component and then find out if the 8- and 6-year-olds want to try it.

(Edits: it seems today I'm not able to write anything correctly the first time. Or the second time. Or the third..)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arctic Scavengers is really good. If you leave out the included expansion it may work with kids. It might require some handholding, hard to say.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hoon
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Shadowrift. It's a co-op deck builder that plays2 to 6 people.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.