Keith M. Sandler
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SR: 9/14/2013 Fury of Dracula

Alex and I were in the mood for some Drac attack, and we knew that would get Maranda over early so she could take another turn at playing Dracula. Jon was supposed to be running late, but he ended up joining us by the second turn and picking things up rather quickly, loving the game more and more as it went on.

Cast:
Maranda: Dracula
Keith: Lord Godalming, Mina Harker
Alex: Dr. Seward
Jon: Van Helsing

We began with Lord Godalming in England to prevent Drac from hiding in Britain or Island for the early game. Seward began in France, I believe, Mina in Central Europe, and Van Helsing in Eastern Europe, somewhere near or on Sofia, I think.

We maintained our usual hunter strategy of attrition. We try to never draw Event cards, as we find they can be way more helpful to Dracula than to the hunters, especially if the hunters are on their game and finding traces of the Count’s trail in time to get rid of pesky vampires. After several turns, Mina found herself stocked with weapons, and we had our first hint of Drac’s trail-- he had begun in Prague and had attempted to circle around to attack Mina by night. Luckily, he wasn’t able to carry out his attack, and we followed his trail south after rooting out the rest of his initial trail, as day turned into night.

He took to sea! We followed the trail to Genoa, where the Count must have set sail. We sent one of our characters seaward, as well, but it is very tough during Drac’s initial sea move to come up with a strategy of blocking potential points of disembarkment. Luckily we seemed to guess correctly, spreading eastwards as Drac ran aground in Eastern Europe.

He was a busy boy, and we spent a lot of time attempting destroy new vampires while still putting the heat on the Count. We debated using a point of Resolve, as we were now in the second day, but the cost to use Sense of Emergency would still be 5 hit points, so we did our best to close in around Dracula using normal transportation methods. Mina ran into several minions which she was able to run away from, hoping to save her weapons for a confrontation with Dracula himself (she had two stakes and a knife!). Meanwhile, Godalming, Van Helsing and Seward, were taking turns closing the net on Drac and staking new vamp’s (two more in Eastern Europe).

We finally had the Count’s location, but only Mina was prepared for a fight with him, and he was quite far. As the second night ended, both Mina and Van Helsing used Resolve for Sense of Emergency to close in on the Count. We were able to take out the vampires, but more importantly, Mina closed in on Dracula himself. Luckily, it was daytime, and Drac had lost some blood already from his sea travel.

The battle didn’t take long, and Mina was victorious, stabbing Drac with her knife to secure the victory!

This is always a fun game for our group, and I was rather impressed in Alex’s deductive abilities and Jon’s ability to pick up the combat tactics. Maranda is definitely learning her way to becoming a great Dracula, but I think I may want a turn again soon, or allow someone else to take on the role. Plus, it can be lonely being Drac, and I think she may want a more social role for a while.

At any rate, it was great to get this one to the table again, and it was nice to see Jon enjoying it so much.

Vleh!

-kMs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.