Hide
5 Posts

Nuns on the Run» Forums » Variants

Subject: Varient with MONK expansion.. More challenging for Novices. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Craig
msg tools
Played NOTR for a while now with 2-4 players and noticed that the guards hardly ever win. So I got the Monk expansion, hoping it would add challenge. The only problem is, the Monk can only 'see' the novice, which means there's no significant penalty and most of the players didn't see it a big deal to be 'seen', especially if the Monk can't 'catch' a novice.

When the Novice disappears from the Monks sight, the guard player still can't do anything about it. As a result, there's not much incentive on NOT being seen by the Monk. On our next try we're deciding to try a variant. This includes the following:

The Monk will still have his same movements and impairments (no sound checks, no capture, etc). However, IF a novice is seen by the Monk, then a screech token is to be placed next to the Prioress OR Abbess, depending on which one is closest. (As if though the Monk yelled out, warning the others). It doesn't matter WHERE the Abbess and Prioress are on the board. If both are the same distance from the novice token revealed by the monk, the guard player decides which of the two guards to deviate. This allows for 1 guard to deviate as a penalty for getting seen by the monk. After the guard deviates (if they choose to do so), then the game rules still apply to continue to deviate (sounds checks, vanishes, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even realize this game had an expansion. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
The guards really aren't supposed to win all that often. Since the individual novices can win independently of each other, the game treats the guards as just another player. Would you play a game where you're chance to win was 1 in 6 but player 6's chance to win was 3 in 6? Thus, I believe the game is tuned such that the guards only win once per number of total players, and thus roughly equal to the chances of any novice winning.

The MONK expansion works fine as is. With fewer novice to spot or hear, the Monk helps. But it is not, and should not, be a panacea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Craig
msg tools
Thanks for your response as I respect your input. However, my gaming group along with many others on this site have commented that the guards are usually more difficult to win with.

You mentioned players 1-6 with 6th player having an odd of 3 in 6 to win.. To us, that's how the game is now, only with the novices. It's as though the novices win 3 to 6 compared to the guards. So to answer your question, no, I don't like to play a game like that, which is why we are trying to add 'balance' to the game. In my opinion, the novices should be more difficult to win with because a lot of us think it's more fun that way. In the end, that's all that matters. We like the difficulty of really being under the gun to make tough decisions of running vs. sneaking. But with the basic rules, the novices in our groups along with many others, run more than anything. And if playing the guards with the altered tweak means more chances of finding the novices (which don't necessarily mean you'll catch them), then it makes for more excitement on their end.

If you like it how it is now and wouldn't want to tweak it, then that's your opinion and that's all that matters in your personal preference with your gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I'm concerned every game is a kit. I'm pleased that you enjoy Nuns so much. I hope that The Monk can help make your experience even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.