Subject: Best recommendation for a second 'first play?' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed this game heavily on Kickstarter and love the theme, I have also just received my wave 2.
I'm really trying to like this game but everytime I attempt it I'm just uninspired and let disappointed.

Last night I tried to play a game of it with the wife using the first campaign scenario and it really didn't go well. My wife really didn't enjoy the game (though I suspect if I play the Vanguard and she the Strain she will have more fun having the upper hand)

Is there a particular scenario or set up you have played that really was fun and balanced to be anyone's game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
Custom games. The scenarios are mostly... well... tutorials.

The custom ones are where the fun is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second scenario in the Outbreak campaign, Steel Beach head, is good. It doesn't suffer from choke points to the same degree and the timing mechanism stops nano being too big an issue. The only problem is that it's quite large. It does however feel very thematic and it can be a nail biter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you recommend forces for Steel Beach Head please?
Or even any other set ups that you have found to be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For your first attempt I'd keep it simple. Once you understand the scenario you can then adjust the forces to be more optimum for your playing style.

For the Vanguard I'd start with one or two of the elites of your choice, depending on how many new models you want to get the hang of, and fill the rest out with Samaritans in each group.

For the Strain I'd go two symmetrical forces of one Stalker, one Quasimodo and the rest Revenants.

Make sure you've got your head around the Vanguard victory timing mechanism before you play as the wording is not great and its key to the game.

I'd try not to get too hung up on who wins first time around. Just fling the Strain at the Vanguard a get that whole last stand vibe. After the first play once you've got the rules and models down you should be able to see the subtleties and can go for a more co-ordinated assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.