Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The full listing isn't up yet, so more still to come. Most items are 50% off currently, but that may slowly drop as time goes on if this follows the pattern of their summer sale. Personally, I'm not seeing much that interests me (maybe Guatemala Cafe???), but YMMV. $150 for free shipping.

http://www.timewellspentgames.com/content/home.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom of Solomon @ $24.98 is a good deal. That's almost $10 cheaper than CSI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll to the South Pole at $17.49 is a few bucks cheaper than other sellers. Solid push-your-luck race game with theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mayer
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemanue wrote:
Kingdom of Solomon @ $24.98 is a good deal. That's almost $10 cheaper than CSI.

Indeed a good deal, but can also be found at Miniature Market for $18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of Time Well Spent, but have never been particularly impressed with their sales.

If Dave took a page out of the CSI/MM playbook and offered even just one deeply discounted hot title at any given time I bet he'd get a lot more $150 orders.

Edit: The Battles of Westeros and Space Hulk Death Angel expansions at 50% off are a nice grab for those who picked either up on sale at B&N or HBO.com these last few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
If Mike took a page out of the CSI/MM playbook and offered even just one deeply discounted hot title at any given time I bet he'd get a lot more $150 orders

It would also help if they modernized a little bit and used a facebook page to promote their deals, accepted Paypal, etc. They would probably become my go-to game store if they did that. Time Well Spent and CSI have both wowed me with their customer service. TWS's prices are usually a little better, but CSI takes Paypal, so that's where I shop. Plus, they're not in the front of my mind like CSI is, since CSI promotes everything via facebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemanue wrote:
It would also help if they modernized a little bit

Site redesign please! It is painful using TWS's website. I'm sorry but it's 2013 and that website is stuck in 1995!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Gamemanue wrote:
It would also help if they modernized a little bit

Site redesign please! It is painful using TWS's website. I'm sorry but it's 2013 and that website is stuck in 1995!

I am not sure what your specific complaints about the website are. It is uncluttered and functional. I never have a problem with the search function or checkout.

I have heard similar complaints about BGG, yet people still use this site.

But the complaint about the lack of PayPal payment option is valid. But PayPal fees are rather ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
But the complaint about the lack of PayPal payment option is valid. But PayPal fees are rather ridiculous.

Average fees for a card not present business accepting major credit cards are between 2.3 and 2.5% of the total charged.

Paypal charges 2.9%.

Literally less than a 1% difference, and even that is offset by the much higher costs associated with merchant service providers. (high set up and/or monthly fees where PayPal has none)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Brooks
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day..."
badge
Gnome dance is best dance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, nowadays, if you're an online business and don't accept Paypal, you're just doing it wrong. I get people's problems with it, but they do make online shopping FAR easier for the consumer, which is the ultimate goal. The faster you can get them through the checkout process, the faster you get money from them.

Hell, I've seen brick+morters that are starting to accept Paypal now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
I am not sure what your specific complaints about the website are. It is uncluttered and functional.

I was inclined to post earlier, but didn't want to just complain. But since you asked... This is ugly and eye-strain inducing:

This one is much more pleasant to browse (MM's current sale), almost like you're at the store, sortable 5 different ways, and with one-click add to cart buttons:

diehard4life wrote:

There is no real alternative to BGG for what it provides. Particularly the community. There are plenty of viable alternatives to TWS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

diehard4life wrote:

There is no real alternative to BGG for what it provides. Particularly the community. There are plenty of viable alternatives to TWS.

Also, BGG has a better excuse. It's a huge beast of a site with a diverse assortment of interconnected functionality. BGG has a Detailed Game DB, Forums, Game Logs, Geek Lists, Store, Trades, Guilds, Blogs, Pictures, etc. All of these things are connected to each other in various ways. A UI overhaul would probably require rewriting the site from scratch, which is a massive undertaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly, I like the TWS layout. In the example above, the TWS page allowed me to browse some 40 or 50 games. In the other example there are 8, and my eyes have to scan across the page. For a quick look it seems easier, and if you want more information or buy you just click it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
Oddly, I like the TWS layout.

Yes, that is odd.

Solamar wrote:
In the example above, the TWS page allowed me to browse some 40 or 50 games.

Maybe microfiche would be even better? laugh

Solamar wrote:
In the other example there are 8, and my eyes have to scan across the page.

Unless you don't care about price, you still need to scan horizontally in TWS. In fact it's worse because the price is buried in the middle of a line of details (more eye strain). FWIW, MM also lets you choose a list view, as opposed to the grid view I showed.

If you like densely-packed text only, more power to you, but I can scan an array of images for potential interest way faster than text only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimeWellSpent is the only place I shop. Their website isn't fancy, but it is functional. They have the games I want at a great price. That is all that matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralsar wrote:
TimeWellSpent is the only place I shop. Their website isn't fancy, but it is functional. They have the games I want at a great price. That is all that matters.

I have shopped there multiple times in the past myself for reasons stated, but now there are other options where the selection, price, and free shipping limit are all the same or generally more favorable, and the website is more attractive.

Edit: If I lived just minutes from TWS, as you do, that might affect my inclination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
ralsar wrote:

I have shopped there multiple times in the past myself for reasons stated, but now there are other options where the selection, price, and free shipping limit are all the same or generally more favorable, and the website is more attractive.

Edit: If I lived just minutes from TWS, as you do, that might affect my inclination.

That definitely helps in our case too. It's on the way home from the missus's work

That said, on occasion, we still will buy from other places, but it's certainly not due to website design

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
curtc wrote:
ralsar wrote:

As much as I love TWS, Dave, and the fact that he's my FLOLGS... I can't count how often I've looked at his sales, thought there was nothing I wanted, and then later look back going, "OH, that is THAT game?! Man, I should have bought!"

You can judge a book by its cover, otherwise books wouldn't have them! Same goes for board games.

So, the 1995 site design is cheap... but I think showing the box covers in a sexier format would pay for itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
curtc wrote:
ralsar wrote:

As much as I love TWS, Dave, and the fact that he's my FLOLGS... I can't count how often I've looked at his sales, thought there was nothing I wanted, and then later look back going, "OH, that is THAT game?! Man, I should have bought!"

You can judge a book by its cover, otherwise books wouldn't have them! Same goes for board games.

So, the 1995 site design is cheap... but I think showing the box covers in a sexier format would pay for itself.

Now there is something to that. Good call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
The site might not be as pleasing to the eye as some, but you will be VERY hard pressed to find an owner as helpful and as responsive as Dave. He, Tom, and Jim (RIP Boulder) are (and in Jim's case, was) simply great dudes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
gilby123 wrote:
Honestly, nowadays, if you're an online business and don't accept Paypal, you're just doing it wrong. I get people's problems with it, but they do make online shopping FAR easier for the consumer, which is the ultimate goal. The faster you can get them through the checkout process, the faster you get money from them.

Hell, I've seen brick+morters that are starting to accept Paypal now.

PayPal also offers seller protection that credit cards do not offer. It's saved our business a lot from bogus credit card payments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see changes and trends quickly and easily on the front page of TWS, and I see updated information on a month by month basis. There is an attempt to get harder to find titles, but not to overinflate the price simply because it is early or a bit harder to find. I don't miss Paypal as I can type a number in. I am not that lazy yet. I would prefer the layout that is there. I dislike CSI. I like B and B, but feel more drawn to TWS as there is obviously more there going on.

I don't think I found anything on clearance that I want to pick up, but that is mostly because I own a lot of games already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkestoceans wrote:
I dislike CSI. I like B and B, but feel more drawn to TWS as there is obviously more there going on.

Why do you dislike CSI, and in what way is there "obviously more going on" at TWS than at BnB?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
This is ugly and eye-strain inducing:

This one is much more pleasant to browse (MM's current sale), almost like you're at the store, sortable 5 different ways, and with one-click add to cart buttons:

The wall of text at TWS is just hard for my brain to parse. I find myself having to read it carefully not to miss something. It's an effort. The layout at MM is much easier for me to interpret at a glance. As such I'll usually shop somewhere else before TWS and buy it there if I find it. It's not worth a couple of bucks to strain my eyesight and give myself a headache trying to interpret what's going on at TWS.

And while some people may prefer the layout there, I'm pretty confident that the conventional wisdom is that it's not good design. And it's sad, website design is so cheap these days and it would cost so little to make the website look contemporary and user-friendly.

Lastly, when I see a page like this it makes me wonder how competent the business is. I'm much more likely to think it's a fly-by-night operation rather than a well run professional business. It's like a company put their business website on a geopages site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if they want to stay with a dense text-only page, they could:
- Put the final price you pay FIRST instead of almost-last
- Bold the final price you pay
- Align the values in columns
- With column headers, they wouldn't have to repeat the text on each line, and could just have the numbers (or highly abbreviated text)
- Avoid Burgundy-on-white text
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.