HK Speed
msg tools
We've played around 3 games with Iron Fist so far, and we're just about ready to ban the character because of this single card.

Living Weapon
8 Damage
9 Recruit
"Reveal cards from your deck until you have revealed two cards with the same (Recruit). Draw all the cards you have revealed.

First of all, simply having 8 damage on a card is already top notch value. A lot of characters need to combo for that. Secondly, the special is insane. The minimum draw is 2 cards and the maximum is way above that. I've drawn 6 cards with this special alone... Needless to say, I felt this was game breaking.

I was wondering what other people's thoughts are on this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Charleson
Australia
Broadbeach
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredibly, which is why it costs an arm and a leg. But, depending on the game you are playing, it can be nigh impossible to buy the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely overpowered. No doubt about it. Even as the most costly card in the game, it still does way too much damage.

...that being said, I rush for it every stinkin' time, hahaha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also rare, so hardly game breaking. One card, which if you only play solo you will see more often, but in multiplayer games, that is one card out of 70. Hardly game breaking by itself. It is powerful, though, and thus a ton of fun when it shows up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add Rogue to anything to break the broke-a-meter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterGM wrote:
Add Rogue to anything to break the broke-a-meter!

Or, add Rogue to anything to explode the fun-o-meter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HK Speed
msg tools
Jacovis wrote:
It's also rare, so hardly game breaking. One card, which if you only play solo you will see more often, but in multiplayer games, that is one card out of 70. Hardly game breaking by itself. It is powerful, though, and thus a ton of fun when it shows up

In terms of pure fun factor, I agree that it's great. I also agree that game breaking is probably the wrong way to describe it.

That said, I'd still argue that in terms of competitive card balance it is poor. To put this in context, I generally play the game with 2 players. And we play a little bit competitively where we both want to have the most VPs at the end. Sadly, we currently feel that the card value on this is just too high for its cost and imbalances the game on a competitive standpoint. It isn't fun for the other player to watch as you potentially draw 5-6 cards for free when we're counting points.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was some way to counter the card, (eg. require a combo of some sort), but there isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely a powerful card. I'd probably give it 7 attack instead of 8, if I were designing it, but that's splitting hairs.

I've gotten higher attack totals from Thor's use-recruit-as-attack card and Black Widow's "Covert Operations", so I don't think it's more overpowered than those. Hulk's rare gives you 10 attack if you combo it with a single strength card, which is easy to do if you're playing with the Hulk. I recently went on a 5-card run with Daredevil's "Man without Fear" rare that resulted in more attack and more draws that I've ever gotten with "Living Weapon".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HK Speed
msg tools
DarthEd wrote:
It's definitely a powerful card. I'd probably give it 7 attack instead of 8, if I were designing it, but that's splitting hairs.

I've gotten higher attack totals from Thor's use-recruit-as-attack card and Black Widow's "Covert Operations", so I don't think it's more overpowered than those. Hulk's rare gives you 10 attack if you combo it with a single strength card, which is easy to do if you're playing with the Hulk. I recently went on a 5-card run with Daredevil's "Man without Fear" rare that resulted in more attack and more draws that I've ever gotten with "Living Weapon".

Good point in mentioning other strong cards.

I guess I might just be overreacting because of some isolated cases where the card was just incredibly powerful and very decisive in determining the outcome of the match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game in general is overpowered. There are so many sick combos. Just all the sick card-drawing is enough to let you draw your entire deck every turn, or close to it. Really, does OP even have much meaning in this game?

BTW, this isn't so much a criticism as an observation. I think it's just designed that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faded wrote:
The game in general is overpowered. There are so many sick combos. Just all the sick card-drawing is enough to let you draw your entire deck every turn, or close to it. Really, does OP even have much meaning in this game?

BTW, this isn't so much a criticism as an observation. I think it's just designed that way.

The thing is though that, when you get to that point in the game, the game is almost over. You might have two turns at most in which you can draw your whole deck (or nearly so). You have to build and hone your deck to get to that point. That pay-off is what makes the game fun, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree with that. You keep playing and recruiting heroes until your deck eventually reaches a critical mass. At that point, you can pretty much beat on the MM at will. It's just a matter of getting your deck to that point before too many scheme twists come out, too many villians escape, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faded wrote:
Yeah, I agree with that. You keep playing and recruiting heroes until your deck eventually reaches a critical mass. At that point, you can pretty much beat on the MM at will. It's just a matter of getting your deck to that point before too many scheme twists come out, too many villians escape, etc.

And especially the other player(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.