Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul D
Australia
Carnegie
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game looks beautiful. The topic is also great. And the talk of a wargame-Euro hybrid sounds right up my alley. BUT: I never play boardgames solo (no desire to at all). I also avoid co-op games (I, personally, find them pretty boring). I get the impression that this isn't a co-op game; both player can lose, but only one can ever win -- I think this sounds interesting.

But I'm having a hard time getting a grip on how the 2-player gameplay works. I took a quick read through the rules, but wasn't left with a clear impression. I watched the first bit of the 2-player game variant video, and it helped, but I don't have 2.5 hrs to watch it all.

So I'm wondering if this game is for me -- would anyone be able to help give me some insight here? Would it be worthwhile only for 2-player play?

I saw Joel Toppen post this in another thread:

Quote:
The 2-player game is semi-cooperative. Both players must work together or they BOTH LOSE. The catch is that only ONE player can win! The players split the responsibility for the tribe. While working for the good of the whole tribe, they also want to gain as much influence for their own faction within the tribe. This usually forces tough decisions: do I do what's best for me? Or do I do what's best for the whole tribe?

In some ways, this way of playing presents a better model of the historical reality than the solitaire game does -- where the player has much more unified control.

-Joel

So, is it then that the 2 player game is just 2 people playing a solitaire game each on a common game board? Where the 1st to finish wins? ... sorry if I'm being a bit thick in the head here, but I'm having trouble getting a sense for what it'd be like to play... if anyone can add any further insight here I'd appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bertucelli
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for the Two player game is in the play book but here is a little taste of it hope this helps. Both players are playing the same game on the same board semi-coop durning a players turn one player will be choosing what action to do while the other will execute how it will done so you may work together or maybe not.

16.1 Winning and Losing
In this variant, two players will play the game together in a semi-cooperative
manner. If 12.1 applies at any point during the game, both
players lose! At the end of a scenario when the victory conditions
table is consulted, if the result is not Minor Victory or Major Victory,
both players lose.
But while both players can lose; only one player can win! During
the course of the game, both players will have the opportunity to
score Influence Points (or IPs). At the end of the game, provided
the players have collectively achieved at least a Minor Victory, the
player with the most IPs wins the game. If tied, the player holding
the non-Headman card at the end of the game wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.