Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Nelstead
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had to recommend one game out of the GMT "coin" games (A Distant Plain, Andean Abyss, Cuba Libre, or Fire in the Lake / others I haven't heard of or will be released), which would you recommend I pick up, and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd start with the one where the theme and setting interests you the most. Mechanically all the games are very sound and have gotten plenty positive reviews so I don't think you'll really go wrong. (Note that Fire in the Lake of Fire is not out yet so no final reviews on it yet.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
I'd start with the one where the theme and setting interests you the most. Mechanically all the games are very sound and have gotten plenty positive reviews so I don't think you'll really go wrong. (Note that Fire in the Lake of Fire is not out yet so no final reviews on it yet.)

I agree with what David said. We have the first 3 (and FitL preordered) and have only gotten AA and CL to table so far. CL is on a smaller scale and the one I'll use going forward, for folks not familiar w/ the COIN series. We started w/ AA and it took a couple of games to really get a feel for what you're supposed to be doing.

Personally, I'm most excited about FitL, just because the period/topic is the one that most interests me.

Lastly, even though they all are rated the same as far as complexity, I'd say it goes as follows (easiest to most complex): Cuba Libre, Andean Abyss, A Distant Plain...with Fire in the Lake coming in between AA and ADP.

Good luck and really, you can't go wrong, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Nelstead
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! It's good to know that the series overall is pretty solid. I think I'm going to go with FitL, since that's the scenario that interests me the most. And I'm definitely all for complexity; it was close with ADP for me, but what tipped it for me was being able to save $30 pre-ordering with p500. And if it goes well, I may just end up getting some more COIN games later on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Menard
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speshalke wrote:
Thanks guys! It's good to know that the series overall is pretty solid. I think I'm going to go with FitL, since that's the scenario that interests me the most. And I'm definitely all for complexity; it was close with ADP for me, but what tipped it for me was being able to save $30 pre-ordering with p500. And if it goes well, I may just end up getting some more COIN games later on!

Check for the new Liberty or death! !! The best of the coin series now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.