BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board gaming Birthday Party! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Synowiec
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Since I'm hitting one of those interesting milestone birthday's in a week and a half and everyone is being whiny that I'm not having a big party (outside my wife who just wants me to be happy). I honestly haven't felt like it at all and have been dreading this for the past year knowing everyone's expectations. I'm not antisocial I just don't like having everyone over and doing all that work for a few hours of fun or going to an overcrowded bar to get a couple of free drinks.

So I've decided to do what I want to do which is spend the day doing what I want. Yes I know that's greedy of me, but it is my day. I've actually taken the day off work and decided to hold an all day board gaming marathon. Basically I'm spending the day playing board games and generally doing what I want (basically just eating horribly).

Should I send out invites to friends and family to come spend time with me while I indulge myself in my cardboard based vice? I have a good amount of multiplayer stuff and just want to play a few long games and take the day to relax. I'm trying to be social just I don't feel like having a huge get together I'd rather spend the day with my wife and relax and enjoy. Has anyone else tried this? Also I know this is a midweek day I figured people could come over after they get off work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds awesome. Go for it; it's your party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it. As long as there is cake, its a birthday to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
digter
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the two others said: do it/go for it. It's your birthday and you should do whatever you want.

I'm celebrating my 30th birthday this november and i've kept it simple and inivted 7 of my best friends (all non gamers) to an all day boardgaming birthdayparty.

This is how I've planned the day:

10:00 - Welcome and drinks
11:00 - Formula D (in teams of two)

13:30 - Lunch

14:30 - Lords of Vegas (play in teams of two)
16:30 - Um Reifenbreite (PLay in teams of two)

18:30 - Dinner

19:30 - Robo rally
21:00 - Das Motorsportspiel
23:00 - The Resistance

Alternatives: Dixit, Say Anything, Telestrations, Shadow Hunters

The winner of each game is awarded 10 points, 2nd place is rewarded with 8 points, 3rd place: 7 points 4th place: 6 points, and so on.

There's a lot of racing games on the list, but most of them are good with a lot of players and nongamers in particular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A day of gaming is what I did for my 30th 25th birthday. It was a blast. If gaming is what you want to do on your birthday, then game away!

My boyfriend and I just hosted a day of boardgames yesterday for a housewarming party.

It was pretty casual; we just told people to show up any time after 11am. We had 3 tables available to play on (and you could fit a pair of small games on the big table), and we had a PC game (Legend of Dungeon) ready to go for anyone interested.

People trickled in throughout the day, and left when they needed to. Most people sent a message in some form or other (text, facebook, etc) with an approximate time they'd be coming by, and that allowed us to hold off on starting new games if we knew someone was going to arrive soon. The only games played by the whole group were a couple early games, before we could split into smaller groups, and then Cards Against Humanity at the end of the night.

We put out a bunch of finger foods, and ordered pizza at dinner time. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, so much so that we were told we have to do it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.