Puzzle Strike» Forums » General

Subject: What version did I get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just got this game from a Math Trade and the owner didn't know which version he had.

How can I tell which version I got?

Also, the chip tray is completely full and some of the chips were stored in one of the bags which I find odd. Shouldn't everything fit on the tray? Does this mean that the game include an expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Koopmans
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the third edition, it will say "Third Edition" on the cover underneath "Bag of Chips".

You can also check the combine chip. If it has a -1$ on the bottom, it would be from the third edition.

I suspect you have the second edition, plus the upgrade pack, which is why you have extra chips. The upgrade pack also included three additional chips not found in the base game (Dashing Strike, Combinatorics, and Custom Combo).

See
for an example comparing the 2nd edition vs upgrade pack chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

It looks like you are right. Second edition +upgrade. Any easy way to tell what chips are part of upgrade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The upgrade pack has only 3 puzzle chips: dashing strike, combinatorics, and custom combo. The other chips are all character chips. I don't have a list of handy of which exact things changed, but I bet a puzzle strike player has that handy somewhere.

My main reason for posting was to let you know that for years I've had the latest version of all the chips and cards for all my games as sirlingames.com. Puzzle Strike chips are here: http://www.sirlingames.com/pages/puzzle-strike-chip-images

The bad news is that after years of that stuff being there, for some reason ALL the links to cards/chips broke last weekend. It seems to be a problem on the hosting end that's beyond my control. They are looking into it. So...in case you need to see the 3rd Edition or Shadows chips, you can check back there in a bit and hopefully the tech problem will have been resolved by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Koopmans
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the three extra puzzle chips already mentioned, these two images should let you spot the upgraded versions of the character chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
And if you need to see the 3rd Edition base set and Shadows chips, the technical error has been fixed and the images are now working again: http://www.sirlingames.com/pages/puzzle-strike-chip-images
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, so this is the first I've heard about a third edition. If I were to buy a 2010 copy, is it safe to assume that is the second edition? And will that simply come with extra, replacement tokens. Other than that, there is no difference between the second and third edition?

Thanks for any clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
yes, 2010ish is 2nd edition, or possibly even first edition if its wooden. There are quite a few differences between 2nd and 3rd actually. I recommend getting 3rd.

Inbetween 2nd and 3rd edition there was an update to some of the characters available as a mini expansion of sorts (dubbed the "Upgrade Pack"), but those chips don't cover the scope of changes from 2nd to 3rd -- consider it 2.5 edition. Those replacement chips also aren't included with a new 2nd edition, and it's not safe to assume that a used copy would have them unless stated otherwise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Third edition has many differences. The rules are different in 3-player and 4-player mode so that there's no player elimination and that you can crash to anyone you want. The 3p/4p modes are very interesting in 3rd Ed, and it required rewording a lot of chips.

All Combine chips have -$1 on them, which changes dynamics quite a bit. Several chips were rebalanced around that. Other chips were just powered up to be more fun.

3rd Edition also comes with 4 player boards and 4 screens to hide your chips. The box is a bit bigger to help accommodate those components.

If you have 2nd Edition, you can still play with 3rd Edition rules though. The rules are freely available at www.sirlin.net/ps/rules. If need to look up any 3rd Edition chip text, all of it is http://www.sirlingames.com/pages/puzzle-strike-chip-images
There's also a free iPhone app with the chip images, a bank selector, and other features: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fantasy-strike-assistant/id7...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see, really good info guys, much appreciated!

There are a few going for 20 bucks at the BGGCON flea market, if it was just rules changes, I wasn't going to sweat it, but if that many of the chips were tweaked, I'd rather just have the most up to date set. I'm stil reluctant to plop down 50 bucks for the game, but eventually a 3rd edition has to go on sale, or used.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sirlin wrote:
[text]

Hi David,

Thanks for the info. I just bought from you fresh copies of Puzzle Strike and Shadows. Do these have the updated rules or have there been later tweaks not yet incorporated into the boxed manuals? I see all the key stuff about being able to send gems to any player etc. is in here but just wondering if I should print out a copy of the rules from your site or if I can rely on this one. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Thanks!

The printed rulebooks in Puzzle Strike 3rd Edition and Puzzle Strike Shadows are completely up to date. The online pdfs are exactly the same, so there's no need to print them if you have physical copies of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Robinette
United States
Westbury
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the 2nd edition and upgrade... seems like I'm stuck with them, now...

Is there a way to play 3rd Edition with the 2nd edition stuff, or am I out of luck?

It's my own fault, really... it is sold out everywhere that I usually get stuff, and I went to eBay... and now I realize I got the second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Jarmusch

Oakland
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo Jason's despair. I purchased the 2nd edition and upgrade. Is there any way to get a physical copy of the third edition rulebook and copies of the chips that have been altered?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The rulebook is freely available at the link in my previous post.

Basically every sheet of chips is updated amongst the balance changes, fun factor changes, and wording for the new FFA mode. So an "upgrade" would include like all sheets of chips and the screens and boards which is practically everything. It just wasn't economical to produce a separate thing that was most of what's in the box, minus the box. So the 3rd Edition itself is the upgrade. Though you can use the freely available 3rd Edition rules with 2nd Edition chips and just minor changes like -$1 combine, and knowing that "next opponent" really means "choose an opponent." Or if you're more into it, the advantage of actually having the third edition is more fun factor on the puzzle chips, and characters that are more balanced around the -$1 combine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Robinette
United States
Westbury
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really unfortunate... now I'm left with a sealed 2nd edition game and upgrade that I have no interest in opening.

I purchased the game based on high recommendations, and I realize that it's my own fault for not doing my homework (I honestly did not know that there were different editions, or that they were so... different)

There are a LOT of retailers out there with the second edition/upgrade pack looking to sell them... so I don't blame them for being unspecific.

A part of me feels terrible that I'm now trying to find a way to sell off what I have, knowing that if I tell a prospective buyer the truth that they'll pass... meaning that I won't find any buyers ('cause I'll always be honest about stuff like this)

... at least I can vent here about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
DJDJ wrote:
I echo Jason's despair. I purchased the 2nd edition and upgrade. Is there any way to get a physical copy of the third edition rulebook and copies of the chips that have been altered?

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22662763/Changes%20since%...

&

http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1653389_lg.jpg

There was also some discussion of fan projects to transfer images from the 3e Print and Play version onto stickers to affix to the 2e chips, but I don't know of anyone who actually did that, and there would be potential issues with the stickers changing the weight and feel of the chips in the bag allowing for draw-stacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Robinette
United States
Westbury
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great... are there blanks in the 2nd Edition box (or expansion) that I can use to make the "new" ones in the meantime?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
Yes there are blank chips in the 2e box. However only like 10 of them, so you'll have to be picky about what you use them for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Robinette
United States
Westbury
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there more than 10 new unique chips in 3E that would require their use, then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you can get your hands on the puzzle chip randomizer cards, those are a good way to "update" to 3rd edition, at least for the puzzle chips -- they are large and magnified prints of each puzzle chip, and you can place one next to each bank stack. Then, rather than reading what their puzzle chip says, players should read what the card says and follow that (which I've found for some new players is easier anyway since the text is bigger!)

I've seen them for cheap on the Sirlingames store before in the past (Even recently I think), right now they seem to only available in a bundle though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Robinette
United States
Westbury
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the sad part is that my 2nd edition + expansion are still sitting sealed... and I have a very low incentive/motivation to open them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky me, I just picked up a copy and didn't even know there was a third edition out. Hmph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
Demo'ed this at gencon and found a sealed copy at the auction hall. Turns out it's 2nd ed. Is there a way to get the upgrade pack still? Didn't see any on the sirlin games website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
There is no upgrade pack to go from 2nd Edition to third because it would need to include every sheet of chips in the box. (And also the boards and screens). So 3rd Edition itself is basically the "upgrade."

The Combine chips have $-1 on them in 3rd Edition, and that system change causes many other chips to have to change around it, and various balance changes around it. Several puzzle chips (non-character chips) were also boosted in power to make them more fun. And the 3-player and 4-player modes work differently in 3rd Edition and Shadows. They no longer have player elimination and you can crash gems to any player. This required changing wording on many chips about where they crash to. So that's why the upgrade is basically a new game at that point.

I have not sold 2nd Edition for years now so I'm a bit surprised it's still out there.

To the poster above who has "2nd edition and the expansion," if that means the Puzzle Strike Shadows expansion, that is a standalone game that has exactly the same rules as the 3rd Edition base set. (It can also work with the 2nd Edition set with a few mods, there's a guide about it here on BGG somewhere.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.