Subject: Chess, Chess960, and More, October 12 in Wayne, Michigan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lame
United States
Huntington Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
For fans of abstract games, there will be an event that may be of interest at Warriors 3 game store in Wayne, Michigan (Michigan Avenue east of I 275) on October 12.

The centerpiece of the day's activity will be a Chess tournament. There will be a US Chess Federation sanctioned tournament, and also an unrated, no membership required, Chess tournament.

Of perhaps more interest to many BGG denizens may be the side events at the tournament. There will be a Chess960 tournament in addition to "regular" Chess. Chess960 is sometimes known as Fischer Random Chess after its creator, Bobby Fischer. In Chess960, the pieces start at random locations on the back rank, instead of in their traditional places. As a result, all those memorized opening moves so popular among Chess players are useless.

Finally, I will have my collection of abstract strategy games with me, and will be teaching or demonstrating them to anyone interested. These include ancient games like Chinese Chess and Hneftafl, and more modern innovations like Khet and Arimaa. (Khet is played with mirrors and lasers. Arimaa can be played using a chessboard, but is deliberately designed to be extremely difficult for computers to play.)

If you are fan of abstract strategy games, please stop by even if you aren't interested in the Chess tournament. My ultimate goal is to bring abstract fans together for some serious play in abstract strategy games other than Chess. If the idea interests you stop on by, and if you can't make it that day, but are interested, drop me a line and let me know your interests. If I do a different event in the future dedicated to abstract strategy games, I can drop you a line informing you of that event.

For more information: http://gamesinmichigan.com/warriorschess

Some of the games I will have with me:

Chess (obviously)
Chinese Chess (Xiangqi)
Japanese Chess (Shogi)
Thai Chess (Makrook)
Byznatine Chess
Hneftafl
Gipf
Khet
Hey, That's My Fish
Arimaa
Hive
Jungle (Dou Shou Gi)
Toguz Khumalak (A Mancala variant - and the national game of Kazakhstan)
Tamerlane's Chess (28 pieces per side)
Jeson Mor
Go
Checkers (American and Continental)
Travel Blokus
Pentago
Nine and Twelve Men's Morris
Agriciola- All Creatures Big and Small. (No, it isn't an abstract strategy game, but it is a perfect information game for two players, so has some appeal to some of the same sort of people who like Chess and similar games.)

and maybe some others I have lying about, but have forgotten, and rules for a variety of other games that are playable on a Chess, Checker or Go board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.