Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Quantum Torpedoes are pretty good, and I had an idea for a fleet that can, potentially, fire them every turn, instead of every other turn like most ships.

Gor Portas with Martok
USS Enterprise with Picard
Defiant with anyone with a lower captain skill than Martok.

The Enterprise gets 2 actions per turn via Picard's ability, so it can reload and target lock each turn. The Gor Portas doesn't need to expend target lock to fire, so it can target lock every turn. The defiant sticks close to the Gor Portas, benefitting from Martok's ability, so it can reload and target lock every turn. Firing three spreads of Quantum Torpedoes every turn is pretty brutal, I think we can all agree. The question, then, is "is this an effective use of a fleet's SP?" We'd be spending a minimum of 2 SP on faction penalties by putting Martok and the torpedoes on the Gor Portas.

I don't have the cards in front of me right now, so I'm not sure what the cost is for this fleet so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
Donatra -Romulan- +1 attack to all allies within range 1 should work.
Think her captain skill is a 6.

EDIT :

gor Portas 26 pt
you still need a target lock, it is just not discarded when you use a weapon
Martok 5+1 pt
quantum torpedo 6pt

38pts

enterprise 28pt
picard 5pt
quantum torpedo 6pt

39pts

Defiant 24 pt
Donatra 4+1pt
quantum torpedo 6pt

35pts

102pts total

Looks like you would have to scrap donatra....cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the only ship special ability that this build relies on is the Gor Portas, so we could downgrade the other ships to generic versions, or even to entirely different ships. The Enterprise is a big, fat ship, and it's expensive, too. It'd be nice to have, sure, but if running something smaller, like the Reliant, puts us under budget, then we can do that. I really like the idea of Donatra on the Defiant, so I'd rather not scrap that.

Also, your figures forgot to add the +1 SP for Quantum Torpedoes on the Gor Portas, and miscalculated the grand total SP for the fleet.

Let's say...

Gor Portas: 26SP
-Martok: 5+1SP
-Quantum Torpedoes: 6+1SP
Total: 39SP

Constitution Class Starship: 20SP
-Donatra: 4+1SP
-Quantum Torpedoes: 6SP
Total: 31SP

Miranda Class Starship: 18SP
-Jean Luc Picard: 6SP
-Quantum Torpedoes: 6SP
Total: 30SP

Altogether: 100

That's 17 attack dice across three attacks per turn, with an additional 3 damage per turn if they all hit. There is definitely potential to take out enemy ships before they get to attack at all.

The strategy, then, is to form a tight formation around the Constitution, so that Donatra gives her benefit to both of the other ships. Maybe the Gor Portas and Miranda up front, then the Constitution in the rear, so that you form a triangle, keeping all three ships as close together as possible. You move forward slowly, hoping to launch your initial volley at range 3, then get a second volley before the enemy has a chance to break up your formation. Hopefully, you can take out two ships in the first two rounds of shooting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
These mixed builds really make my head hurt for some reason...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This build has 1 critical flaw keeping it from dominating out of the shoot: most games ships don't come into range of each other in the first turn. Anything with cloaking as a capability will take that action and prevent a target lock. What does this list offer to deal with cloaked ships until such time as you can get a target lock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True. Cloaking pretty much screws this build before it gets started. Or at least it prevents it from firing first, which is supposed to be its main strength; shoot first with so much sustainable force that you wipe out the opponent's ability to fight back before he can do anything. I wonder if there's a way to wipe out the cloaking advantage with one ship while the other two retain the "quantum rain" build. Maybe sacrifice Picard for something specialized against cloaked ships. Does such a think exist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FortuneFavorTheBold wrote:
This build has 1 critical flaw keeping it from dominating out of the shoot: most games ships don't come into range of each other in the first turn. Anything with cloaking as a capability will take that action and prevent a target lock. What does this list offer to deal with cloaked ships until such time as you can get a target lock?

Funny, I just thought of that this morning.

The other thing to note is that you are doing 5 dice damage at range 2-3 and get an extra damage if you connect. Donatra could possibly add another die to 2 attacks.

You can get 6-7 dice damage with basic attacks by going with Klingon ships and forgoing the torpedoes all together. You are also not stuck having to get target locks AND you get the range 1 bonus attack die as well.

Neg'Vahr
Vor'cha class
Valdore

+Donatra

All 3 cloak too. Not a bad little bonus either.

Edit.
Don't take me wrong. I really like your build and what you are trying to do with it. I just wish that there was a ship that let you shoot them without requiring a target lock. that would be pretty awesome.

I think it would also be cool if there were weapons that did splash damage (eg. all targets in range 1 take damage) which would really help push ships apart.

I also think it would be really cool if more crew had "free" actions on them. I think the biggest hang up with most crew is that they require an action to use their abilities. It is nice but at this point big ship + good captain > ship with crew.

Still a fun game to play though.
AND there are still more waves to come !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my cards with me at the moment, so I'm not sure; can you field all three of those ships with decent captains for 100sp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
I don't have my cards with me at the moment, so I'm not sure; can you field all three of those ships with decent captains for 100sp?

18 points to spare if you take the generic versions I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neg'Vahr 30 (named)

Vor'cha class 26 (generic)

Valdore 30 (named)
+Donatra skill 6 4pts

90 points

That leaves you with 10 points for captains.
So you will get a good captain on the Neg'vahr and a decent one on the Vor'Cha.

For instance you could put Picard skill 9 (6+1pts) on the Neg'Vahr and Nu'Dak skill 5 (3pts) on the Vor'Cha.

Picard is ....well Picard.
I picked Nu'Dak because he lets you convert 1 battle station to a hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems like a super good build. Now it begs the question: why isn't everyone running this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard C.
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Main flaw with this build is the weak field of fire. If the enemy ships can survive your first frontal attack and get on your flanks, you are at a big disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
That seems like a super good build. Now it begs the question: why isn't everyone running this?

Agreed, it is a good build. I won't run it because it is not faction-pure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.