BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need to fill a gap in my collection: Racing! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herbert Griffin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Looking for a racing game...or at least something with a finish line.

Good for 5-6 players
2 hours at most

I've been considering some of these. Any feedback to seal the deal or additional suggestions?

Jamaica
Also fulfills my yearning for a pirate game! Great artwork. The reviewers seem to really like it or really hate it.

Formula D
Got hooked after watching it played on Tabletop. Are expansions a must to keep the game fresh?

Galaxy Trucker
Seems like there's actually two races. A race to build your ship and another to actually fly it. If I buy the anniversary edition, will it make it a 6 player game? Or just 5?

Race for the Galaxy
Has the word 'race' in the title, but is it a racing game? Need expansion to make it 6 players. Still looks good regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Jamaica

Also, I know you say 2 hours at most, but how do you feel about barely 30 minutes? If you don't mind a "racing" game being distilled down to its essence, I highly recommend Cartagena. Plus, it's still pirates...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have Jamaica or Formula D but Galaxy Trucker nor Race for the Galaxy have racing in them.

I personally would get Jamaica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Snow Tails as well, but I'm sure you'd be happy with Formula D. Jamaica is fun, but feels the least like a race game of the three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamaica.

Galaxy Trucker is... only sort of a racing game? It's amazing, but if you want a true "first to the finish wins" type of thing, Galaxy Trucker ain't it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Herbert
United Kingdom
Fakenham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both Jamaica and Formula D both are great games. If I could only have one it would be Formula D, it has both easy and advanced rules and also the expandability with the extra tracks makes it a winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Jamaica and played formula De but dont own it and theres a reason for it. How did galaxy trucker and race for the galaxy get added in this category?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D is probably the best for racing on your list.

But you might want to look at RoboRally also. A timeless classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Powerboats is good fun and plays up to 6, but my main recommendation would to wait for Thunder Alley to be released. This is looking seriously good...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Davidson
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula E should be out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ave Caesar is perfect for 6 and in 2 hours you easily get three or four races in and have a mini league.

Winner's Circle is more about you betting on horse races, but you do get involved in seeing how the race pans out.

Um Reifenbreite and Rallyman unfortunately max out at four players but both really capture the essence of their subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ave Caesar would also get my vote for this recommendation. Really good game! If you play it in a mini league, you could keep multiple versions of score (like Tour De France, yellow & green shirts):
* one score for arriving first
* another score for arriving with the most points remaining
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Poserdisposer wrote:
I recommend Snow Tails as well, but I'm sure you'd be happy with Formula D. Jamaica is fun, but feels the least like a race game of the three.
+1 for Snow Tails. I have not played Formula D, but Formula De mini is in my trade pile - far too much luck of the dice involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin von Allmen
Switzerland
Zuchwil
Zuchwil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D or, not in your list, RoboRally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rush n' Crush strange that no one suggested this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve of Board
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PitchCar scaletrix with fingers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Get on board Thunder Alley's preorder. It's due to print before Christmas and is only $39 shipped in the U.S.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO the best of the racing games is Turfmaster and Powerboats ...

Roll to the South
Tonga Bonga
Formula D
Snow Tails
Ave Caesar
Long Shot (a racing betting game)
Mississippi Queen are also all quite good.

Jamaica's fun too ... but I rate it lower than above games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula De is a good one, especially if you like motor sports, it's feels very thematic. It's focus is about taking fast and risky or slow and non-risky decisions.

I woudl also strongly recommend TurfMaster.
No other game captures the feeling og being in a race, looking for a good position, and deciding when it's the best time to atttack, best.
One more plus for this is: The winner of each race is usually only determined in the last few moves (but without being too random), so there's no runaway leader problem here.
Also there's a 3-race programm to be done in 90 minutes, so if you have bad luck in one, there's a new chance around in the next.
The disadvantage: It's very expensive (great bits, though!).

In Formula De 1 race takes the 90 minutes, and if you got a bad start, you'll know quite earyl you'll have noc chance to win anymore.

Ave Caesar is a nice lighter racing game.
If you want it more strategic and less luck-driven, look for Ausgebremst, which is almost the same game, but with a few, but very important rule changes!

Another light race game with a higher interaction/confrontation factor is Fast Flowing Forest Fellers.

Snow Tails is also good, more mathy type, but nice mechanics.

I wouldn't recommend Long Shot, unless you seek a light family game playable with kids. It's very luck-driven, low influence and unbalanced. Can be fun with non-gamers, but not realyl sth. an advanced gamer woudl enjoy usually.

Don't know Jamaica yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought I'd throw out there that Formula D is a REALLY fun game if you have a lot of players on the board fighting for position - one of my favorite, if not top favorite, games for playing with larger groups.

However, if you only play it with 2 or 3 players for example, it turns into a bit of a snoozer.

If horse racing is of interest, Long Shot is also a very fun game that is playable with up to 8.

And yeah, I tried Mississippi Queen for the first time this weekend with 5 players and it was really fun. The game has a max of 5 players but can be bumped up to 6 with the expansion. It is however out of print, and pretty expensive to pick up used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
only great racing game I know of is Speed Circuit

other than that there's Formula D
Circus Maximus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Jamaica based on the artwork and components and have never regretted it.

If you want pure racing simulation, Formula D is probably going to do that best. You don't need all of the tracks, but get at least one extra pack.

Race for the Galaxy is absolutely a race. There are two finish lines: someone has built 12 cards, or the VPs are depleted. This means that not only do you have to build the best engine, but you have to do it quickly lest your opponents end the game before you can get up to cruising speed. So the players may not be racing for the same finish line, but they are racing to end the game nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horse Fever is an excellent (and fun!) game based on horse racing...although players are doing more betting (and race rigging) than actual racing.

Great fun though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many games have a race element but personally, if you are looking at auto racing, Formula De, Formula D, or Rallyman (in that order).

Horse Racing? Find a copy of Win, Place & Show, best horse racing game out there.

Magical Athlete is a fun racing game, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Hot Rod Creeps. It's kind of like a PG-13 version of Mario Kart.

Also, The Manhattan Project has always felt like a race to me whenever I play it, even though you wouldn't think it is. Rather than race around a track, you're racing to build bombs devil

And RftG feels sort of like a race, but I think you would be disappointed in it if you got it for that sole reason alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.