Subject: The Elder Things just....killed me rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Farrell
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just played a game tonight with 2 of my friends. One of them got the Elder Things and the Miskatonic University...and, WOW, did the Elder things destroy us. I had Minions or Cthulu/Bear Cavalry, and my other friend had Innsmouth/Ghosts...were we just not playing well enough, or are the Elder Things really that ridiculous? lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you give some details? How exactly did they win?

Any specific play situations that arose that made them seem so powerful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Farrell
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
well..he gave us A LOT of Madness, and I was lucky enough to draw almost 0 minions. I had the Bear Calvary, and wanted desperately to destroy a lot of his minions, but never got the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of that. The elder things sound like the most appealing new faction to me. I love the idea of filling my opponents decks with madness cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick` G

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've not played the new expansion much, but it already seems the Elder Things are a very very strong faction, since they deal out the most Madness cards, and the 10 power Elder Thing and 6 power Shoggoths (which you have to have 6 power down to play) can break a 20 breakpoint base fairly easily. Our first game they won bc the Madness cards they dealt brought the other "winner" below their VP. The second game we played, I dominated the rest with them and the Zombie faction, since I was able to play the Elder Thing multiple times (which is also possible by Begin the Summoning).
My question now, is how to manipulate or defeat the Elder Thing, since it isn't affected by other players' cards.. All we could think of is Terraforming, but surely there's more that can be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claypeace wrote:
My question now, is how to manipulate or defeat the Elder Thing, since it isn't affected by other players' cards.. All we could think of is Terraforming, but surely there's more that can be done.

Actually, Terraforming does not affect any of the minions on the base -- they just stay there. Although you can switch the base for Ninja Dojo or Temple of Goju so the winner gets fewer points, or Jungle Oasis so his winnings are minimized.

Actually, some things you might try are:

- Complete the Ritual, since placing minions on the bottom of their deck is not on the list of "Affect" -- though I think it should be.

- Sleep Spores, since changing a minion's power is also not on the list of "Affect" -- though again I think it should be.

- Destroying or returning his other minions so he has a limited choice of what to destroy when he plays Elder Thing.

- Let him win the one base, but try for runner-up there, and/or work on other bases. Smash Up rewards careful thought about which bases to compete for and which to leave alone.

- Try to counter Begin the Ritual by using things like Innsmouth or Temple of Goju to get Elder Thing out of his discard pile (or with some cards, out of his hand) and put at the bottom of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick` G

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you Bryan.
I tend to forget the rulebook's definition of the word "Affect", so I'll consider those options.
The Terraforming idea was exactly what you suggested. It was just trying to think of any way to limit such a powerful minion.

Of course, I played again using the Steampunks with Elder Things, and didn't draw the Elder Thing at all before 15 VP were scored, but it ended up a tie after the Madness cards were pulled out, so the next round I was able to get Aggromotive, Rotary Slug Thrower, and the Elder Thing, getting 17 points, breaking the base and winning with 18 VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.