Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb
The tile in question is shown in the image linked below, second from the right on the bottom row.

www.boardgamegeek.com/image/89278

The rules say the following: When a player places a follower here, he must choose between the cloister and the city. He can place a follower on the cloister even when the city already has a follower (on a connected tile).

In a recent game, I played this tile in a city where my wife already had a meeple, so I placed mine on the cloister. Later, my wife drew a princess tile, and we debated whether or not she could play the tile on her city and kick my meeple out of the cloister. I argued that the rules treated the city segment and cloister as separate features, and therefore my meeple was safe. She went along with it and placed the tile elsewhere, but I agreed to look into it.

So, what does anyone think? Was I right? Or is the cloister part of the city, and therefore subject to death by princess? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Swedlund
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game in front of me, but I would guess the answer hinges on what the rules say about Princess tiles. If they refer to kicking knights out of cities, then you were right. If they refer to kicking followers out of cities, then an argument can be made for your wife's point of veiw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A manned cloister in a field does not count as having your follower in that field, does it? A manned cloister on a road does not count as having your follower on that road, does it? I'd apply the same rule here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Pate
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going on memory, I believe the princess does remove a knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb
esswedl wrote:
I don't have the game in front of me, but I would guess the answer hinges on what the rules say about Princess tiles. If they refer to kicking knights out of cities, then you were right. If they refer to kicking followers out of cities, then an argument can be made for your wife's point of veiw.

I checked and the rules for princess tiles specifically refer to knights, and not the generic term followers.

Blackberry wrote:
A manned cloister in a field does not count as having your follower in that field, does it? A manned cloister on a road does not count as having your follower on that road, does it? I'd apply the same rule here.

Makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the following FAQ will help here:

HiG wrote:
Question: Can a builder also be removed from play by placing a princess tile?

Answer: Yes. The builder is considered to be a follower here as well. The player who places the card can as such freely decide which meeple he or she removes.

Source: http://carcassonnefaq.blogspot.com/2005/07/can-builder-also-...

It seems clear from this that even the builder is 'a follower', and that 'followers' can be removed by placing the princess tile.

The general taxonomy can be seem in Aldaron's rule summary: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/97308.

Anyway, the point here is that when you place a princess tile in a city, anyone (any follower) in that city can be removed, be they 'knight', 'monk' or 'big follower' (there's a special rule for Übermepples: http://carcassonnefaq.blogspot.com/2005/07/can-big-follower-...).

Death by princess it would seem to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.