Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have no friend cards in your hand, is it possible to still use the 'Ask Friends for Money' action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bradandmary wrote:
If you have no friend cards in your hand, is it possible to still use the 'Ask Friends for Money' action?

Of course!

Asking friends for money has three possible choices:

- 2 money for free
- 3 money for 1 honor point
- 4 money for 1 honor point and 1 friend card

If you have no friends you must go with the first option.

-----

Now to why you ask this question - the friends you have in your hands aren't specifically those that you ask the money for. The friends in your hands are those that have eligible wedding candidates. They're your family connections. I would assume your 'friends' are a lot closer to you. In fact, you could even argue that the friend you lose in option three isn't even the friend you ask money for - this is someone who has heard about your borrowing habits and unseemly need for money, and wants no part of it. It's the word on the street that has its effect in options 2 and 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. I was hoping there was a thematic story for the answer. Everything else in this game makes for an interesting story to tell...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bradandmary wrote:
Ah. I was hoping there was a thematic story for the answer. Everything else in this game makes for an interesting story to tell...

Thanks!

First of all, no problem - I do indeed find it important to highlight the theme behind the game decisions. As to the why..., well, your example is very very specific, actually, and is an extremely rare occurrence. Money and friends are two of the resources found in this game, and you need to have a fair few of both to give you enough options and flexibility in the game. Therefore, if you're asking for money, the general assumption is you have enough friends, but need money. If you're socializing the reverse is generally true. To have neither (or very little money and no friends) is rare.

As to the theme, well, it's thematic enough, just not specifically for this case. The theme is that when you visit the literary salon and hang out with your friends and ask them for some money, this is of course no problem, depending on the amount. They are happy to help out - money is no real issue. It is when you get greedy that your friends are still willing to help out, but they gossip about you and your honor decreases. If you are really very greedy, out of all proportions, then the gossip is so bad that one of the connections you've made - a family actually interested in joining theirs to yours, hears about it and feels this union is no longer appropriate. I would say this works perfectly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.