Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
I need to come up with a better name for my group. How about GRAB, Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers? Sounds a little presumptuos, there's only a very small group right now. Oh well, better than nothing.

Chris and Elaine came over Saturday night. We played Doge and Perudo (at least 6 times).

This is one of the new releases that I wasn't all that interested in trying until quite a while after Essen. Then some of the positive comments here and elsewehre started getting me interested, so I broke down and bought a copy. Am I glad I did! I won't describe the mechanism of the game here, but it seems remarkably balanced. I zoomed off to an early lead but within a turn or two had no real clear advantage. Unfortunately, since I wasn't totally familiar with the game, I also had no real clear clue how to proceed. I stumbled along until something clicked and I realized that I was just two palaces away from winning the game. In sizing up the situation, it was obvious that everybody else was almost as close. In a sudden mad dash I began working on San Marco, the last district I needed. It took a few rounds to build up enough houses when it came down to the Quarantia in the last round. Winning this region gave me one house in San Marco. I only needed one more to make 6 and buy a palace. But Chris came in second in Quarantia and, playing kingmaker (or kingkiller!) moved a house into San Marco too, raising the price of my palace to 7 houses. Out of reach. Because I hadn't anticipated this, I was unprepared to fight for the last district Theresa needed for her last palace, and she was able to win this region and the game with only token resistance from Elaine in a different region. A wonderful, tense, and enjoyable game. Also kind of a brain burner. Rating after 1 game=7, very good. I think this one has the potential to move up, possibly as high as a 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.