Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
twitch.tv/zenxacred
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick clarification needed.

In the rulebook, on page 4, it details what I do when I win against the hazard (the words "win against the hazard" and "win the fight" are in bold btw). I rotate the card and put it in the Robinson discard to be used as a fighting card.

However on page 5, under losing the hazard, it details what I have to do if I can't match the hazard value. It tells me I can pay life points to the reserve to match the points I am missing to "win against the hazard".

Reading the rest of the rulebook (with the examples) I conclude that if I lose and pay life, I don't keep the hazard card as a fighting card. It goes to the hazard discard and I move on with less life. I am able to cull my deck a bit with the life paid, of course.

A friend of mine has played this game and she has concluded that given she paid life and the rules say that doing so lets her "win against the hazard" (quoting the rulebook text here), that she keeps the hazard card and it goes into the Robinson discard pile to be used as a fighting card later on. Also she culls the deck with the life she paid, as per the rules.

Her way lets one win with much more ease than how I've been playing. Have I been playing this wrong or has she? The wording in the rules seems to be able to be taken either way.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no "can pay life points to the reserve to match the points". There is must.
And you still don't win. You are reading You lose against the hazard? paragraph, which means that you already lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not sure how your friend got the idea that she keeps the hazard card when she loses, instead of discarding the undefeated hazard card. The rules clearly state:
rules wrote:
4. You lose against the hazard?

You must place the undefeated hazard card on the hazard discard pile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the confusion here is the use of the word "win" in the text: "you must pay life points to the reserve matching the number of points you are missing to win against the hazard".

Your friend is interpreting this to mean that if she pays those life points this enables her to win that fight. But that's not what it means. It could perhaps be more clearly phrased as "you must pay life points to the reserve equal to the number of points by which you failed to win against the hazard".

What it means is if you needed 7 to win and you got 4, you are missing 3 points to win against the hazard -- i.e. you have failed to win by 3 points -- so you must pay 3 life points.

As Radziol mentioned, this section is about what happens if you lose. At this point you've already lost against the hazard, so there is no possibility to win against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I interpreted the rule just as the OP's friend did but felt uneasy about this as further in the rulebook there is an example fight where one of the options describes losing the fight and therefore the hazard card.

I came on here to see if anyone else had been confused by this. Glad to see they had!

Now to go back and have a go at the game properly! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
russ wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure how your friend got the idea that she keeps the hazard card when she loses, instead of discarding the undefeated hazard card. The rules clearly state:

The rules are not clear, that's why. I consulted the German original version, and that version was as vague as the English. The problem is not in lost in translation, it is in a very sloppy rule editor. I played just like that GF the first few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kosterix wrote:
russ wrote:

The rules are not clear, that's why. I consulted the German original version, and that version was as vague as the English. The problem is not in lost in translation, it is in a very sloppy rule editor. I played just like that GF the first few times.

In all sincerity, what is vague about this rule (which you removed when quoting me)?

Quote:
4. You lose against the hazard?

You must place the undefeated hazard card on the hazard discard pile

How could that sentence make someone think that they keep the hazard card when they lose against the hazard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.