BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Party game recommendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
Hey guys, so here's the deal: my fiancé and I get together with another couple quite regularly for board game nights. They aren't gamers, however they are very open minded and have enjoyed a fair few games we have showed them. Currently, I don't really own any party games. Literally one of the only games they own is Cranium. I had never played it until we played it with them. I now HATE Cranium with a passion. I really would like a party game that we can pull out that will phase out Cranium completely, as I know there are many, many party games worlds better than it. As they are open minded, I believe that once we play games that are more fun than Cranium, we will be playing those rather than it.

One issue that I'm finding in selecting a game though is that it's mostly only the four of us playing, occasionally with a fifth and maybe a sixth. Lots of party games I've seen that look great really need more than four.

A few that look good to me are: Wits and Wagers, The Resistance and some of the werewolf games. As you can see, as far as I'm aware those ones don't really work with four players...do they? Dixit seems fun too.

So I'd love to hear some recommendations you guys have to help me get Cranium gathering some dust thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taboo
Dixit
Forbidden dessert
Pandemic
Hanabi
Mascarade
Ticket to ride
All work well in couples settings and with the odd number
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Witt
Canada
Smithers
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dixit is fabulous - but i prefer it with five or more. Saboteur gets a lot of play, but again, it seems to be problematic with four. also: Dutch Blitz is fabulous.

extending things a bit: King of Tokyo and No Thanks. And a new one for us: Las Vegas is GREAT for easy pickup and fun game with many fun decisions (though competitive for new players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Begs the question, if they are happy playing some other games that you own, why do you want to get a party game to play with them? I find that most "party" games play best with lots of people to stimulate discussion etc.

I love The Resistance and Dixit, but I prefer Dixit with 5-8 and Resistance with 7-8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
losfp wrote:
Begs the question, if they are happy playing some other games that you own, why do you want to get a party game to play with them? I find that most "party" games play best with lots of people to stimulate discussion etc.

I love The Resistance and Dixit, but I prefer Dixit with 5-8 and Resistance with 7-8.

Well, as I don't have anything similar to Cranium at all, when people feel like playing a game of that style (trivia/party) that is always the one that comes out. I'd like to be able to show them that there are similar games, but 100x better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
Wits and Wagers was a big hit at our last couples "game" night. We also played Creationary and Cards Against Humanity. Dixit is on my short list for party games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
A party game that I've found to be quite fun is Say Anything. Those who are recommending Wits and Wagers may be forgetting that you are not from the U.S. From what I understand the majority of questions in that game are about the U.S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Agent
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm going to throw another vote behind Dixit, and add Snake Oil to the mix. Snake Oil plays well with 4 (but gets even better with more people), is fast, and will definitely get people laughing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Less intellectual, but more fun: Jungle Speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
... Wits and Wagers ... From what I understand the majority of questions in that game are about the U.S.

Actually, the game isn't too US centric. Works fine, however there aren't that many really good party games. With 4-6 there are many options and many aren't technically party games. I think what you are looking for really are lighter games (under 60 mins.) that play well for 4-6.

So check out ...Great 6 Player games that play in under 60 minutes (including some overlooked gems) ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kacy Crawford
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
I would suggest Dixit. It is wonderful party game designed for 3 to 6 (12 with expansions) players and is literally accessible to anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Dixit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
I love party games, but I'd be the first to recognize one of the genre's faults: lack of replayability. Also, 4p party games are elusive. The genre almost demands more players.

I love Dixit. I own all the expansions. Therein is part of the problem. The OP says he plays "regularly." How often is that? If we're talking more than once a month then Dixit is going to require getting all the expansions. It's a great game, but it could get quickly stale with the same people with games spaced too closely together.

Here are a couple more party games, but I'm not sure party games are the best choice in this situation.

Off Your Rocker

A bit theatrical so it might not be a good fit. Definitely a very social game and for people who know and like each other.

Cat & Chocolate Do not get Texas Zombies. This is a bit sillier and just more fun.

Train of Thought Some people hate this game. Definitely be cautious with this one.

+1 for Jungle Speed.

I'm wondering if light fillers might be a better choice. If that, I'd add:

Clubs to name just one card game. Or perhaps team Loot.
For Sale
Dog
Tayu
6 Nimmt
Indigo
That's Life!
Cheeky Monkey
Lost Temple

I'm sure there are many other easy light fillers that could be added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.