18 Posts

Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Allies, Camping Down, and Adventuring Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
. .

California
msg tools
After demoing this at Gencon, I was finally able to get a copy recently and play it today. It's such a great game though I wish the rules were a little more clearer and had an index. That said, we had a couple of questions today.

1. When an ally gives you a +2 to wounds, does it add to your base wounds or does it have it's own wounds? The way it's worded, we leaned towards the first one but the second one might make a little more sense as the ally could theoretically absorb damage before going away.

2. Can you Camp Down after you recover an artifact? It says you can Camp Down after a Danger is overcome but not before recovering an artifact.

3. We were a bit confused on Heroes on the Same Adventure. When Player A and C are going for the same artifact and it's Player A's turn, after he decides whether he wants to continue or Camp Down, is it Player B's turn immediately and those pair go back and forth, or does it go to Player C's turn for Adventuring then eventually back to Player B?

Thanks for answering my questions! Now just got to get these figures painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deusface wrote:
2. Can you Camp Down after you recover an artifact? It says you can Camp Down after a Danger is overcome but not before recovering an artifact.

Here's one I do know. You cannot Camp Down after you recover an artefact but must go to a city where you can heal at a Glory cost of 1 per wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Adds to your base wounds.

3. There's little practical difference. I keep going with C, then back to B so as to not split up C's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only camp down between dangers
DangerCampDangerCampDangerArtifact

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deusface wrote:
After demoing this at Gencon, I was finally able to get a copy recently and play it today. It's such a great game though I wish the rules were a little more clearer and had an index. That said, we had a couple of questions today.

1. When an ally gives you a +2 to wounds, does it add to your base wounds or does it have it's own wounds? The way it's worded, we leaned towards the first one but the second one might make a little more sense as the ally could theoretically absorb damage before going away.

3. We were a bit confused on Heroes on the Same Adventure. When Player A and C are going for the same artifact and it's Player A's turn, after he decides whether he wants to continue or Camp Down, is it Player B's turn immediately and those pair go back and forth, or does it go to Player C's turn for Adventuring then eventually back to Player B?

Thanks for answering my questions! Now just got to get these figures painted.

1. Allies are like gear. So it adds your your characters wounds, the ally itself does not take wounds.

2. No. You can camp between dangers, but not once you've recovered the artifact.

3. Players A and C essentially have the same exploration. It doesn't really matter how you play it, but it just seems simpler to continue with the current adventuring (Player C) than interrupting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
Thanks for the replies everyone. Can't wait to play again! Though I do wish I had bought one of the expansions at Gencon. Didn't realize that the missions pack was part of an expansion and not the base game. I really miss those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deusface wrote:
Didn't realize that the missions pack was part of an expansion and not the base game. I really miss those.

Interesting. You're making me definitely consider getting the expansion with those in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
Bagpuss42 wrote:
Deusface wrote:
Didn't realize that the missions pack was part of an expansion and not the base game. I really miss those.

Interesting. You're making me definitely consider getting the expansion with those in.

The missions were great and did a few things.

1. They sped up the game because there were so that could give you Fortune. Though there were others that boosted your stat or gave you an ability.

2. They gave you more of a focus on what to do. One of the ones I drew said
I'd get X Fortune if I recovered an artifact with five dangers.

3. They add a little bit of a surprise factor.

I'm not too sure about the Rise of the Crimson Hand expansion, but I will be getting the Treasure Hunters one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deusface wrote:
The missions were great and did a few things...

If you aren't already in the field, you should enter sales; your endorsement pushed this into the 'Must Have' of expansions for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deusface wrote:
Bagpuss42 wrote:
Deusface wrote:

I'm not too sure about the Rise of the Crimson Hand expansion, but I will be getting the Treasure Hunters one.

The Crimson Hand expansion adds a lot more than just a fantastic new Vile organisation. Get it, don't regret it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
Deusface wrote:
Bagpuss42 wrote:
Deusface wrote:

The Crimson Hand expansion adds a lot more than just a fantastic new Vile organisation. Get it, don't regret it

I'm conflicted. While I really enjoy the game and do want more options such as more dangers, enemies, and characters. I hate it when expansions bog a simple game down with more mechanics thereby making it complicated and convoluted. There is a reason why those mechanics weren't added in the game in the first place.

I'm a lot more choosy when it comes to buying expansions. I'll have to wait and see other's reviews before I decide to buy The Crimson Hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
Mont Van wrote:
Deusface wrote:
The missions were great and did a few things...

If you aren't already in the field, you should enter sales; your endorsement pushed this into the 'Must Have' of expansions for me.

Thanks for the kind words. Still kicking myself for not picking it up at Gencon though since I have to wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding the new mechanics is optional and can be phased in. As a Memoir '44 fan I know what you mean about adding new expansions / complications to a basically simple game but clearly a lot of thought has gone into the Crimson Hand and FANG is a gift that keeps giving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deusface wrote:
I'm conflicted. While I really enjoy the game and do want more options such as more dangers, enemies, and characters. I hate it when expansions bog a simple game down with more mechanics thereby making it complicated and convoluted. There is a reason why those mechanics weren't added in the game in the first place.

I'm a lot more choosy when it comes to buying expansions. I'll have to wait and see other's reviews before I decide to buy The Crimson Hand.

Just a quick note, the Rise of the Crimson Hand expansion doesn't really add new mechanics. Deadly Dangers are extremely easy to understand and can effectively be ignored if you like, and the Major City Events are pretty much the same--though I'd never ignore either. What you do get is a lot more variety, and that's always welcome.

If you'd like to dip your toe in the less expensive waters, look up the two small web-exclusive supplements on FFP's website; I think you'll be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
Eyefink wrote:

Just a quick note, the Rise of the Crimson Hand expansion doesn't really add new mechanics. Deadly Dangers are extremely easy to understand and can effectively be ignored if you like, and the Major City Events are pretty much the same--though I'd never ignore either. What you do get is a lot more variety, and that's always welcome.

If you'd like to dip your toe in the less expensive waters, look up the two small web-exclusive supplements on FFP's website; I think you'll be happy.

I actually did pick up the web exclusive cards and do enjoy them. I didn't realize that the Deadly Tests weren't not in the base game. So many things in the Gencon demo that aren't in the base game that I enjoy.

I'll probably end up picking it up, but it's going to be on the back burner. My only problem will soon be where will everything go? With the web exclusive stuff and the two expansions, the base box won't comfortably fit everything unless you take out the insert. The cards won't fit in completely in the slots now and I only have the web stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, no joke. What I've done with past FFP hames is keep an expansion box and split things up in a way that makes sense. Maybe throw all the artifact/adventure cards and heroes into an expansion box so I can keep everything somewhat organized... I don't know. But the Crimson Hand will be waiting for you when you're ready!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimson Hand is a great expansion that adds variety rather than complexity. If you like the base game getting Crimson Hand is a no brainer :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
So I went to a not so local gaming store because I was in the area today. I had planned on picking up Crimson Hand. However, I noticed that they were selling Treasure Hunters and I picked that up instead! I'm sure I'll get Crimson Hand soon, if only to get the updated Adventure cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.