Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
---

Mission- conduct a recon of a suspected enemy blocking position

Briefing - Tomorrow our main column will move through the mountains to secure the capital, ending the civil war and clearing the roads for foreign aid. The problem is that the quickest rout to the capital is along a tiny mountain road and we know the enemy has something nasty planned for us.

Ducos squad is tasked with determining what traps the enemy has set for us along the road and then joining up with Sharpes squad in the mountains to work with resistance fighters... cutting off the enemies supply lines and reserves.

---

We crossed through our lines just after midnight and headed south along the mountains. Something didn't feel right... Ducos was on edge and seemed to be even more nervous than usual. We made good time through the dark jungle and we all started to relax.

Then the jungle suddenly fell away and we found ourselves on the edge of a clearing. Ducos kept mumbling that the clearing was supposed to be over there, he shrugged and waved fro us to keep moving along our current heading. We looked around nervously but followed orders.

Suddenly the spotter dropped to a knee and signaled everyone down. He pointed out a small enemy patrol walking parallel to us just inside the edge of the forest. Ducos began frantically giving orders to reposition for an ambush... his flurry of motion drew the enemies attention and they opened fire. Moments later the firefight was over and all was quiet again. Lennox had a flesh wound in his thigh but could still walk and the enemy patrol were all down. The Jungle was strangely silent and we all were nervous to get under way and back into the cover of the jungle. Ducos wanted to inspect the enemy dead and seemed to be getting ready to give us a stirring speech.

Luckily he was interrupted the shriek of incoming artillery. We were caught in the open and had to scramble to get to cover. Leroy lost a leg in the first few moments and two of us ran back to drag him. Tongue took a shell to the chest and exploded in pink mist! I don't know what happened to the others but we grabbed the bodies and ran. The shelling followed us deep into the jungle and halfway up the next ridge when it finally quieted down we counted the casualties and found that Tongue and Ducos were dead and Leroy and Morris were in no shape to go anywhere.

I took command of the squad and checked our position. We were almost on top of our objective but had so many casualties that we had lost all mobility. I decided to call and request that the mission be aborted. The request was refused, the mission was to important! We dragged the wounded up over the next rise and called in medevac.

With the Casualties gone we began scouting the enemy positions along the road. The enemy forces were much smaller than expected but they had a massive bunker emplacement and several large trucks set up to act as a roadblocks. One thing just didn't make sense, their numbers were too small they could never hope to coordinate the defense of the roadblock and bunkers with only 4 men. We finished writing up our report and then headed back north to cross the mountain road as far from the enemy position as possible.

As the last of the team crossed the road we came under fire. We never saw who was firing at us but they had some serious firepower. Discipline had broken down to the point that no one waited for orders we all just ran deeper into the jungle.

The next two hours were uneventful. We passed through miles of dense jungle and skirted around a small farm before coming into the river valley. We dodge around the open clearings and tangled swamps staying in the shadows of the jungle and we were beginning to follow the river back up into the mountains when it happened.

I heard the unmistakable sound of a safety been clicked off. Then I heard the sound again and again. I stopped breathing and looked up towards the ridge line. A heavy machine gun and several dozen assault rifles were aimed at me and the remains of our doomed little squad. I began to say a prayer quietly to myself and then the jungle exploded in a eruption of bullets.

---

The next morning the convoy headed up the road until coming under heavy fire. A makeshift barricade of halted the first elements then a bunker hidden off to the side of the road opened up. Several squads attacked the rear elements form the ridgeline but we eventually drove them back. Our airstrikes in the night did very little to soften them up due to poor intel! The column was halted for nearly two hours and then the engineers approached the trucks blocking the road they found dead bodies propped up in the seats. The bodies were our missing recon squad... The enemy has a sick sense of humor. They expected us to shoot up the trucks and then feel conflicted when we found our own dead at the wheel. We quickly had the dead recon squad loaded into a truck back to the staging area and we headed deeper into the mountains.

We traveled for another 30 minutes before coming across a small village. The village was deserted except for more posed corpses. They had set Sharpe up in a chair with a beer in his cold dead hands and had posed several of the other guys in one of the beds. We sent the bodies home to be treated like heroes and then burned the town. We burned every town we passed through in those mountains and I would like to say it helped but I will never forget the faces of those dead men. Those were dark days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I was using my squad leader character cards for this mission. Each character has some stats (inspired by the DVG leader series) which changes how well they react when under stress.

Each of the quad leaders also has different personality traits and I was definitely role playing Ducos during this mision. When I realized the planned path took me through an clearing I imediately started to change the path to go around (staying in the cover of the jungle) but immidiately I had the thought that Ducos wouldn't do that. Instead of Admitting his mistake in the planning phase he blamed the map and stubbornly followed his planned rout.

Whent the enemy patrol was spotted he recklessly chose to engauge once again because it fits his character. The funny thing is that while these in character choices set me up for failure very quickly the final slaughter was jsut a random event... we stumbled into a near ambush with a strength of 34 (+MG) and even at full strength we wouldn't have been able to survive that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John, I was able to get your character/team cards from your website, but I think it is time you put these nice things here on BGG in the files section of Ranger! Cause they look great

Is there any chance of having .pdf or .svg files so that we can tweak them too?

Happy patrolling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
MaroonedMorlock wrote:
John, I was able to get your character/team cards from your website, but I think it is time you put these nice things here on BGG in the files section of Ranger! Cause they look great

Is there any chance of having .pdf or .svg files so that we can tweak them too?

Happy patrolling

Sure I have some typos to fix... then I'll upload them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.