Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this still worth getting? It seems to be a cool minis game. Is there a list of all minis/cards/maps/etc. available anywhere?

From the rulebook, it says that a Party can have any amount of Honor. If so, what is it's purpose?

Also, what would be a good setup rule for Party composition? 3x3, no Honor limit?

How hard would it be to get a full playset? Are there any minis worth getting in multiples?

At last, how does it compare to Krosmaster: Arena, Heroscape and other miniature skirmish games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is off the top of my head, WoW Miniatures is a great game and was my favourite for a long time.

Honor is the points cost for each figure.
In a typical battle you score 4 Victory points every time you defeat an enemy (8 for a Legendary figure) and then he respawns, in addition to VP locations.

Victory by VPs is done by scoring as many or more Victory points equal to the Honor Cost of your party
So if you build a force with cheaper figures you need less points to win but they might not be as effective as a more expensive force who need even more points to win.

By comparison it is similar to Heroscape but the Base10 mechanic makes all the difference - what it is is a 'clock' counting from 1-10 and cycles back around.
Characters act on Tick one, then are moved on the clock based on the speed of their action taken during their turn - A Warriors slow and powerful swing might cost 4, so taken on Tick One the Warrior won't be able to act again until Tick 5.
A fast Rogue might have a weak attack with speed of 1 or 2, allowing them to activate a lot more often.

Also if you move and do no action, your Tick goes up by 1 count.

Great game, highly and thoroughly recommend it - I made a lot of custom content for it back in the day including the Arathi Basin map with a French Graphic Artist friend, and some custom raid scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The above set up was for a Battle Ground type game, you can also do an Arena style game where you determine how many figures ie 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 and set an Honor cap as the maximum total points your team can cost.
Figures do not respawn in Arena game play so last man standing wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conlledo
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is worth it, plus it's a lot cheaper now

I'm hunting for some miniatures and recently I bought 8 of them... and I have this game since it's launch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete already mentioned two of the things that make this game a lot of fun. The way teams are built allowing both players to have teams of different strengths was a brilliant design decision. Also the tick clock is really what drives this game and makes it so much fun.

By limiting parties to 3 characters (3 is standard though there are variable party rules) it keeps party building a bit simpler. In addition to choosing your three characters you get to choose two action cards for each of them. Options are spells, various abilities, scrolls, potions, pets, armor, weapons, etc. Party building is a lot of fun as well.

You don't need to be a Warcraft player to understand the game but it would probably be more interesting to you if you'd played WoW at some point.

You don't have to have multiples of any one mini to enjoy the game. I personally never have doubles or triples of an Alliance or Horde mini in my party (maybe more than one of a monster, but it's not necessary).

It would probably be easy to find someone who would trade you some wow minis for a board game. This was a collectible game so there are people who probably still have hundreds of minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squallgoku wrote:
This is off the top of my head, WoW Miniatures is a great game and was my favourite for a long time.

Honor is the points cost for each figure.
In a typical battle you score 4 Victory points every time you defeat an enemy (8 for a Legendary figure) and then he respawns, in addition to VP locations.

Victory by VPs is done by scoring as many or more Victory points equal to the Honor Cost of your party
So if you build a force with cheaper figures you need less points to win but they might not be as effective as a more expensive force who need even more points to win.

By comparison it is similar to Heroscape but the Base10 mechanic makes all the difference - what it is is a 'clock' counting from 1-10 and cycles back around.
Characters act on Tick one, then are moved on the clock based on the speed of their action taken during their turn - A Warriors slow and powerful swing might cost 4, so taken on Tick One the Warrior won't be able to act again until Tick 5.
A fast Rogue might have a weak attack with speed of 1 or 2, allowing them to activate a lot more often.

Also if you move and do no action, your Tick goes up by 1 count.

Great game, highly and thoroughly recommend it - I made a lot of custom content for it back in the day including the Arathi Basin map with a French Graphic Artist friend, and some custom raid scenarios.

I just read the rules, that's why I asked, it seems a pretty interesting mechanic.

squallgoku wrote:
The above set up was for a Battle Ground type game, you can also do an Arena style game where you determine how many figures ie 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 and set an Honor cap as the maximum total points your team can cost.
Figures do not respawn in Arena game play so last man standing wins.

I see... I'm more interested in the point-buy system.

Scratches wrote:
Pete already mentioned two of the things that make this game a lot of fun. The way teams are built allowing both players to have teams of different strengths was a brilliant design decision. Also the tick clock is really what drives this game and makes it so much fun.

By limiting parties to 3 characters (3 is standard though there are variable party rules) it keeps party building a bit simpler. In addition to choosing your three characters you get to choose two action cards for each of them. Options are spells, various abilities, scrolls, potions, pets, armor, weapons, etc. Party building is a lot of fun as well.

You don't need to be a Warcraft player to understand the game but it would probably be more interesting to you if you'd played WoW at some point.

You don't have to have multiples of any one mini to enjoy the game. I personally never have doubles or triples of an Alliance or Horde mini in my party (maybe more than one of a monster, but it's not necessary).

It would probably be easy to find someone who would trade you some wow minis for a board game. This was a collectible game so there are people who probably still have hundreds of minis.

I'm an old WoW player (played from AQ launch 'till Firelands)

I was curious if it was useful to have duplicates of some monsters/familiars/non-named characters (like Voidwalkers, Elementals, etc.) to be used... I think that having duplicates for named characters a lil' bit cheesy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some duplicates are pretty decent, as for named characters they struck me more as 'Belf male hunter' or 'Nelf Rogue' - only the Legendaries were/are something unique. A conversion and a paint job goes a long way into killing the cheese of doubles.
Otherwise most of the reason to get doubles would be for the cards that they came with.
Also you might have an extra Void Walker or Hunter Pet to use as a miniature on base instead of a token.

I cannot emphasise this enough, I really loved this game and was so sad to see Series 3 SoV go unreleased - particularly as there was a video of a sculptor working on a Series 5 figure at a Con a while ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squallgoku wrote:

I cannot emphasise this enough, I really loved this game and was so sad to see Series 3 SoV go unreleased - particularly as there was a video of a sculptor working on a Series 5 figure at a Con a while ago.

Agreed. This game looked like it was only going to get better. Death Knights, large creatures, instances, Onyxia, etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game really did die before its prime, so much untapped potential.

@OP - Yup, this game is that fun, and probably extremely cheap to get now too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anywhere I can get a full list of Miniatures, Cards and Maps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://warcraftminis.com/checklist/core/

As for the maps, the promo maps were just printed paper versions of the standard maps that you get in the starters just with terrain included in specific locations, so nothing you couldn't recreate with a blank map and terrain tiles from the Deluxe starter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
endou_kenji wrote:
Is there anywhere I can get a full list of Miniatures, Cards and Maps?

There is a pretty extensive list further back in the forums that lists almost everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squallgoku wrote:

As for the maps, the promo maps were just printed paper versions of the standard maps that you get in the starters just with terrain included in specific locations, so nothing you couldn't recreate with a blank map and terrain tiles from the Deluxe starter.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just FYI, for those interested in picking up the whole set, you can get them all here: http://www.wholesalegaming.biz/worldofwarcraftminiatures/

That's where I got my sets. The full set from the base game (70 figures plus cards) is $75. The full set from the expansion (51 figures plus cards) is $65.

That's a pretty good deal on a pretty good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Payton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have this game. It's a lot of fun, and has LOTs of replayability. Since it's so cheap now, I'd definitely recommend getting into it. I have at least 1 of every mini, and I'll never sell them, because it's such a great game.

The Vassal mod for it is also very well done, if you're into that: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:World_of_Warcraft_Mi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefamo de Gemmis
Italy
Salerno
flag msg tools
endou_kenji wrote:
squallgoku wrote:

Thanks!

The link doesn't work anymore. Anyone who still has the file?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.