Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Lords of Waterdeep» Forums » General

Subject: Game board concern rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Larson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I've had the game for a month now and my board is seriously starting to bow on two sides. I know some other people have posted about the board warping as well. Is it worth going through the trouble of getting it replaced? I would assume that the boards are all manufactured the same way so there's no guarantee the replacement would be any different. Not to mention the possibility of being responsible for shipping it back to Wizards of the Coast. Finally, not being able to play for the duration it's being replaced. In the meantime, I've been using some heavy books to try to weigh it down as a solution, but it only helps a small bit. Some feedback would be helpful.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the reason for the warping boards isn't so much due to the quality of the material -as it is because of the game's insert...

You see, when mine began to warp, I placed it under some of my heavier games until it straigtened out (i.e. Middle Earth Quest), and afterwards returned it back into the box -but this time; I stored it under the insert (rather than on top).

Since then, my LoW board hasn't shown any signs of warping.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game somewhere between 30 and 40 times since I got it several months ago and have no board issues. I also store it on top of the insert. Are you in a high humidity area? Where does your game spend most of its time? Some boards are known to warp when they pass between indoor and outdoor temperatures frequently.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
I've played this game somewhere between 30 and 40 times since I got it several months ago and have no board issues. I also store it on top of the insert. Are you in a high humidity area? Where does your game spend most of its time? Some boards are known to warp when they pass between indoor and outdoor temperatures frequently.

I don't know about Shane, but the humidity at my place isn't exhuberant, and my games never leave my gaming room.

Yet the reason I believe that my warping was due to the insert -was because of its tight fit. Because if humidity was the culprit; then regardless if I stored my board on top, or below the insert, the warping would have persisted.

I know that having to remove the insert to place the board back in can be a drag -but like I said; that's what I've been doing, and I haven't had a problem since .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game a week ago, and it's been sitting unfolded on my table ever since. We've only played it 3 times. The two flaps of the board are seriously bowing upwards. No liquids have been near it, and it's winter time with not much humidity. It's not caused by the insert, since my game hasn't been in the box.

Any ideas if I can get a replacement?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ibarker3 wrote:
I got this game a week ago, and it's been sitting unfolded on my table ever since. We've only played it 3 times. The two flaps of the board are seriously bowing upwards. No liquids have been near it, and it's winter time with not much humidity. It's not caused by the insert, since my game hasn't been in the box.

Hi Ivan. Based on what you said above, I find it funny how you've come to the conclusion that the warping can't be due to the insert -because ur board has been sitting on the table for a week...?

Well, guess where it's been sitting since it left the production line (probably in 2012); in a tight-fit plastic insert.

Forgive me if that sounded rude (because I didn't mean it to be). You see, I'm only bringing this up to further my point that after opening my game, I found my board in the exact same condition as you did yours (flaps bowing and all).

But the thing is -unlike you, I didn't just leave mine out waiting, or hoping for the board to straighten itself out. I placed it under 4 of my heavier game boxes (specifically: MeQ, Claustrophobia, Space Hulk & Earth Reborn), and after a couple of days; my board was straight as an arrow. And its been so ever since (after storing it under the insert)...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries, both sides of the story are good for people to know. Sorry I should have stated, it was fine when we first put it on the table (last week - it was perfectly normal when it was first in the box). It warped over the week while it was just sitting there on the table doing nothing. That's why I'm mentioning it now, not when we first pulled it out of the package.

I for sure didn't leave the game out to test the warping or hoping it'd straighten out, we left it out because we kept playing it. I only noticed the warping last night after we finished a game.

I've uploaded some pictures to here, I will post them when I get a chance.

Either way, I've emailed Wizards of the Coat, and we will see what they have to say.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ibarker3 wrote:
No worries, both sides of the story are good for people to know. Sorry I should have stated, it was fine when we first put it on the table (last week - it was perfectly normal when it was first in the box). It warped over the week while it was just sitting there on the table doing nothing. That's why I'm mentioning it now, not when we first pulled it out of the package.

Oh, now I see your point.

ibarker3 wrote:
I for sure didn't leave the game out to test the warping or hoping it'd straighten out, we left it out because we kept playing it. I only noticed the warping last night after we finished a game.

I've uploaded some pictures to here, I will post them when I get a chance.

Either way, I've emailed Wizards of the Coat, and we will see what they have to say.

Well, good luck with that, and let us know how it plays out. Hopefully WotC will send you a replacement .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the pictures of the warping





I've also noticed a large crease has formed at the board fold (I've only opened it twice). No other board has a fold this bad

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a deja-vu!

Hopefully, with these pics u shouldn't have any problems getting a replacement. But if you do; try salvaging the board by putting some weight on it. Cuz I swear, your board looks exactly like mine did when I first opened my copy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey JJ,

Send Wizards of the Coast an email. I sent them one this morning, a few hours later I got this email in return:

Quote:
Greetings Ivan,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your copy of Lords of Waterdeep. I have placed an order for your replacement game board and you should receive it within 15 to 20 (3-6 weeks internationally) business days depending on your local postal services. We appreciate your understanding in this matter and please feel free to contact us with any other questions or comments.

Take care and happy gaming!


I had to sign up to their website, but I'm pretty impressed!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizards has awesome customer service. My board warped so bad the picture was bubbling. I just took pictures and sent them in, got a confer matin not long after and a new board no long after.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ibarker3 wrote:
Hey JJ,

Send Wizards of the Coast an email. I sent them one this morning, a few hours later I got this email in return:

Quote:
Greetings Ivan,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your copy of Lords of Waterdeep. I have placed an order for your replacement game board and you should receive it within 15 to 20 (3-6 weeks internationally) business days depending on your local postal services. We appreciate your understanding in this matter and please feel free to contact us with any other questions or comments.

Take care and happy gaming!


I had to sign up to their website, but I'm pretty impressed!

Well that's great news! Happy to see that they're on the ball!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.