Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Just a quick preface, I really like the techs & tech-tree, but was thinking of a variant that would make it easier for new players (not as daunting as starting with all techs available).

So...
1. Place ALL tech tiles in a bag/box.
2. Start of game, draw out Num.Players X 2 + 1 (so 4 players = 10) tech tiles, and place them in a public area
3. At the start of each round, draw another Num.Players X 2 tech tiles and add them to the available pool.
4. During the game, only techs in the available pool can be purchased.

I would also suggest using Page2 of ScottE's great TechRef sheet, to place the tech tiles onto. Download Here

This means each game is different, as different techs will be available each time. It also means gettings to the techs you want first can influence how you play.

Secondly, it makes it a bit easier for newer players as there aren't as many techs available each time, but eventually most techs should come out at some point so that noone misses out completely.

This reminds me a little of the tech-draw in Eclipse, and in this case, I think it could work well.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mathwise, I think you mean (Num.Players + 1) x 2. Otherwise, you should get 9 tech tiles for 4 players.

But just so I understand, the idea is that 10 techs are drawn, and then if the tech is your color, you can research it? So different players will have access to different techs each game? That's kind of interesting, though potentially unbalanced, as not all techs are equal. Certainly it could be problematic if you draw no techs (or if the only techs you draw have pre-requisites that aren't available).

It's not a bad idea to have variants that are easier for new players, but I actually think this is a challenge for more advanced players. To play well in this environment, you have to dynamically weigh the values of each technology in the particular game you are playing. To make it newbie-friendly, I would strip out all but the most essential technologies, to reduce the information overload and make decisions simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, typo. I meant PlayersX2 + 2 to start, then PlayersX2 each round thereafter.

The colors of the techs are irrelevent in this variant. So any player can purchase any of the techs on the board. It means there are 4 copies of each tech in "bag". So when drawing techs, you will see duplicates come out, and anyone can purchase anything they meet requirements for.

There should be enough options for everyone, but not so many that it's overwhelming for newer players, and the limited choices more interesting for advanced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.