Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: How much are third edition cards worth nowadays? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The title says it all. I uncovered a whole lot of MtG cards, around 200-400 cards all of them in very good condition. All of them are third edition in English, except a starter deck of the 4th edition.

Can you recommend me of a place to get an evaluation of these cards? or somewhere to sell them?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Depends on the cards. Some are valuable, most aren't worth much.

You can check sites like Troll and Toad to see what they can give to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://store.tcgplayer.com/magic/revised-edition

This is a great site that averages the top online retailers, and is a commonly used price guide for most players.

Revised really holds its money in the Dual Lands, with some other key cards sprinkled in like Demonic Tutor and Sol Ring.

4th Edition isn't quite so lucky, with the major draw here being just over ten dollars:

http://store.tcgplayer.com/magic/fourth-edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another site I look at for prices is MTGPrice.com. It aggregates from a few different sites, including tcgplayer.com.

http://www.mtgprice.com/spoiler_lists/Revised

http://www.mtgprice.com/spoiler_lists/4th_Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
A quick look at that site quickly warned me against using that site ever again.

The site showed two revised Islands as being worth in excess of $75. A look at the price history and I see these spikes ... most days they're worth under a dollar, but ocasional days they're worth $100 or more. Doesn't seem like a reliable source for prices to me when that happens all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the trick there is Amazon is used as a price guide as well as other shops. Amazon will have sellers that do stuff like sell booster packs for a penny... then charge 4.99 shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wow, thanks a lot for the info.

It seems I need to do a whole listing of the cards and see how many I have of each

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
drstein2004 wrote:

It seems I need to do a whole listing of the cards and see how many I have of each

Naw. You just need to see if there's any dual lands in there. And if you have spare time, sol rings, sylvan libraries demonic tutors. Maybe a swords to plowshares, wheel of fortune, fastbond or mishra's factory too. Counterspells are worth a buck maybe. But like, not worth your time pricing out bulk stuff that is, in the end, bulk. Most of the cards are worth pennies with a couple being worth 5-10 and ten of them being worth 50-200.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
drstein2004 wrote:

Naw. You just need to see if there's any dual lands in there. And if you have spare time, sol rings, sylvan libraries demonic tutors. Maybe a swords to plowshares, wheel of fortune, fastbond or mishra's factory too. Counterspells are worth a buck maybe. But like, not worth your time pricing out bulk stuff that is, in the end, bulk. Most of the cards are worth pennies with a couple being worth 5-10 and ten of them being worth 50-200.

Pretty much this. And don't forget Lightning Bolts as well, those are always in demand and worth something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
How could I forget my favorite card ever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
After a quick look I have 4 counterspells and 2 Lightning bolts. All my other cool cards (like paradise birds, clones, etc) are just worth a few bucks the kilo, right?

In that case, I am filthy rich!! Let me invite you out for dinner once I have sold my whole lot of cards for...10$ or so

Thanks anyways and if you come near Barcelona let me know. I will buy you a beer regardless of whether I sold those cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite being reprinted many times, your Birds will still be worth about $2 each. The Clones aren't worth much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Indeed; even though Clone was bumped up to Rare in every printing after Revised (it was just Uncommon in ABUR) it's still not worth much. It became even less useful when the M14 rulechange hit and it was no longer useful as Legend-killer. (Before the M14 Legendary rule change, playing a Clone of your opponent's Legend would cause both the Clone and that Legend to go to the graveyard. Now, they'll just peacefully coexist.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.