Subject: New gamer - thoughts on board gameing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Sixsmith
United Kingdom
Tyldesley
Salford, Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
I'm 23 years old and aside from old family favorites like Risk, Monopoly, Game of life and Cluedo I have never had experience playing board games.

Due to the selection I have had played with I've always pictured Snakes and Ladders when some one suggests playing a board game... being 23 and owning an Xbox, understandably I usually scorned or outright laughed a the idea whilst loading up Call of Duty.

Around a month ago my work friend and long time contributer to BGG van00uber and I were on a night shift together; He slapped a big Ikea bag down on a desk and excitedly proclaimed "Hay Rich, I've brought in a load of board games for us tonight".

I have great respect for van00uber, and night shifts with him are always enjoyable, but it took every fibre of my being not to roll my eyes and snort "bored game more like" at him.
Being a nice guy I thought I'd give one a try (It's hard not to pat an excited puppy after all).

Lord of the Rings - Reiner Knizia

First impressions of this game were OK, I'm a big Tolkien fan so this was already peaking some interest.
I got to be Samwise (excellent, this allowed me to play the enitre game in character) and we played through a full campaign.
I found the entire experience enjoyable, it was relaxed and a good introduction into board gaming. I felt it could of been more challenging, but van00uber rest-assured that it has good increased difficulty set up.
I wasn't in a hurry to play it again afterwards, once was enough for that night. I have since purchased this game, as I have several LotR fan friends and this would go down well with them.

Strozzi - Reiner Kiniza

First impressions were underwhelming, The art work wasn't as exciting as LotR and the components weren't as fancy, but I could tell by van00uber's enthusiasm whilst shuffling the cards looks would be deceiving.

Wow. Most fun I've ever had with a small group that doesn't involve moisture.
This game sealed it for me; we played half a dozen games of it with 3 players. I picked up on it fast, and won the first round (I think). It offered plenty of good belly laugh moments the two that continue to stick in my mind was when van00uber pushed his luck trying to hold out for a very possibly game winning final card, and got slapped by lady luck.

The other being my other friend and colleague starting a round in great spirits as a very useful (useless to me) card to him became available... which I slapped my pirate card onto at the moment his happy little fingers touched it; his eyes were literally full of soulful pain and confusion as to why I had done this to him (Imagine someone just pushed your mother of a cliff, thats the look) This was my first experience of a 'F**K YOU' moment and I must say it was unbelievably satisfying for me.
I've literally just clicked of Amazon and I am now impatiently waiting for my own copy of this superb game to arrive in the post.

Dungeon Roll - Chris Darden

By this point any game van00uber produces is being wolfishly ate up by me, I cant believe I've wasted years and money on xbox games that I barely think about let alone play anymore.
Dungeon roll is a charming little game, very fun, very easy to pick up. If it was available in shops I'd buy it, but currently its post Kickstarter, per-distribution.

By the time the night shift was over I was giddy about the prospect of attending one of van00uber's game nights. Another mutual friend hosted one at his a week or so after the night shift. Aside from the good conversation and multitude of snacks, the whole experience of a group game was very enjoyable.

Love letter - Seiji Kanai

A nice light introduction to the night. A good party game, relaxed but not overly fun for me (mainly because one of the party was exceedingly good at it) but a good game nonetheless. Defiantly one that I would consider buying for playing with my partner and her friends / family at a dinner party etc.

The Castles of Burgundy - Stefan Feld

This was a great game to play, the 'F**K YOU' moments were a plenty, the real sense of strategy appealed to me greatly and the whole concept was of interest to me. I am now looking forward to playing similar but more complex games of this nature on future game nights. I am not going to purchase a copy simply because the only person / group I would play this with includes an owner.

Sitting here now typing this I can look back and fully appreciate van00uber's excitement when he dropped down the big Ikea bag of boardgames , and I thank him massively for doing so.
If you feel like thanking him (and want to read any of his excellently written reviews/blogs) here he is:
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb

Currently I am organising a game night which I will host, and I have also started designing my own game (http://rpggeek.com/thread/1045830)

Thanks for reading - Richard

Updated: I forgot to add these other games I have since played with van00uber

Ascension/magic the gathering - I can't remeber what it was

It was probably a bit late at night, but I found this to be a difficult one to get my head round. The art work was fantastic and I can fully appreciate the desire to own hundreds of these cards.
I've had experience with Top Trumps, but this was like going from sniffing gluesticks to freebasing crack; probably didn't help that van00uber was showing me how to lose, more than how to play, my turns lasted about 40 seconds and involved at most a few movements of my hands; van00uber looked like an absolute pro swapping stacking exchanging etc... looked like a Chinese maths prodigy using an abacus, just baffling.
I would give it another go however.

Blokus - Bernard Tavitian

I really enjoyed this, I'm fairly good at shape puzzles and this was like Tron and Tetres in one, best of all I actually beat van00uber a few times cool

Abalone - Michel Lalet and Laurent Levi

Good game, I probably wouldn't buy it myself, but it was fun to play; once again I got annihilated by van00uber, who took GREAT pleasure in watching me lose (I do believe there is a picture of me on his profile flipping him the finger when he took me picture for his blog)
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Rushman
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the addiction laugh
The only problems with board games is that they take up a LOT more space than the XBOX games... but they do have a lot more replay value in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fix
United States
Marlborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not saying I invented the fedora, but I was the first to recognize it's potential as a gaming accessory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sixsmith
United Kingdom
Tyldesley
flag msg tools
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Haha, yes im fully prepared to spend money and space now!

Ive just moved into a new house and have set up an office, I have an entire bookcase section to fill...
Unfortunately I have a guitar addiction too, may need to flog afew laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Your job sounds alright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of us
One of us
One of us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
6myth wrote:
...and I have also started designing my own game (http://rpggeek.com/thread/1045830)

This is the part that made me realize you really are a gamer. Welcome to the club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby

And I apologise in advance for how hopelessly complicated this website will seem to be for... oh, six months at least
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it!

Welcome aboard.

Best make sure:
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb

Gets some commission

Here are some guides to the site:
Every-Gamer BGG Guides

While on the design side you seem to be more on the RPG side of things, do check out the BGG Board Game Design forum, as there is lots of cross over and important information/contacts to be found there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sixsmith
United Kingdom
Tyldesley
flag msg tools
Haha absolutely, I wasn't sure how to link him in... like
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
said, it'll take a while to figure out the forum.

ye, I've already had a nosey at the design forum. I reckon I have a good idea for a game, but due to lack of variety of games on my side I need experienced players to test it and make sure is not accidental plagiarism

(credit to myself, I just figured out how to link in a user and will now amend OP to include van00uber, though I will certainly check out the BBlink cheers)

Quote:
your job sounds alright

It has it's ups and downs. Occasionally it's quiet enough to spend an hour or two faffing about, other times its all systems go. cool

@killer ardvark: Haha, ye, Ive always been interested in animation, art and history/fiction so it was a logical step. So far its been surprisingly easy, my main problem is trying to get all the ideas and mechanics I've thought of down on paper before I forget!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! What a great story. And what a random group of games to have as your first experience.

Luckily you've already got a friend with tons of games you can try before buying. That will save you lots of money in the end!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
6myth wrote:

It has it's ups and downs. Occasionally it's quiet enough to spend an hour or two faffing about, other times its all systems go. cool

Is it a pressurized nuclear reactor, or a boiling nuclear reactor?

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sixsmith
United Kingdom
Tyldesley
flag msg tools
Sagrilarus wrote:
6myth wrote:

Is it a pressurized nuclear reactor, or a boiling nuclear reactor?

S.

Shit, is that you Boss? I was only joking about the playing on shift, I assure you it was in my allocated break, I'm not like those Magic: The Gathering guys at Fukushima! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sixsmith
United Kingdom
Tyldesley
flag msg tools
cbazler wrote:
Welcome! What a great story. And what a random group of games to have as your first experience.

Luckily you've already got a friend with tons of games you can try before buying. That will save you lots of money in the end!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Yes, van00uber said he wanted to show me a few different types, and I liked them all. I forgot to mention a game of Ascension that we played, but tbh, I didn't really dig the deck building type of game; whether that it because it was a bit complex and I didn't get my head round it easily, or because even in the dummy run he decided to utterly cream me at it...

You'll be able to see via the user profile link, I'd probably never have to buy a game EVER aslong as he's invited to the game night haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to our community. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see you here man. The community is great here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! As someone who also re-discovered the hobby in the past year, you've found a great community to enhance the joy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb

For this interested, this is our game of The Castles of Burgundy, 6Myth is the guy on the far left (both in the picture, and in his politics; bloody commie). I would post the picture that you referenced from our game of Abalone, but the mods took it down; maybe because you were giving me the finger in the picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn O'Connors...whistle

Ultimately you will need to find what you like to play and it would seem you are off to a good start.

As far as reviews go you may want to take a look here:
http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/

Maybe you will have better luck understanding their jokes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sixsmith
United Kingdom
Tyldesley
flag msg tools
Was a fun game, though I think I was busy checking sickipedia at that moment.
You should of pixilated my visually offensive hand gesture out... btw are you ok if I load the pic of your Strozzi disaster?

Miss O'Conner: lol yes, the occasional Ascension / M:tG joke came up which were totally wasted on me. Suppose I still have to catch up with a while new geek language

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
6myth wrote:
btw are you ok if I load the pic of your Strozzi disaster?

go ahead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sixsmith
United Kingdom
Tyldesley
flag msg tools
Edited it in. I like seeing you like that, far better than you smug "I win again mwhahaha" look

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.