Hide
13 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Another game mat question???? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Swedge Swedge
msg tools
another game mat question.. seems all the mats are made of cloth,vinyl and or felt. having not seen any of them in the flesh i was wondering if they shift around when you move the ships on them etc? seems like the felt and fabric ones would? currently I am leaning toward the rubberized yoga mat myself. i actually have one that i do use a a workout mat, and the ONLY problem with it is that it has a slightly textured finish. just wondering if ANYBODY makes a rubberized and or silicone game mat? ships wouldn't slide around, mat wouldn't shift and it would deaden sounds and be good for dice rolling as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Personally I use a sheet of felt I got from the fabric store. The felt can shift a little when working around but the great thing is nothing else does. The ships or asteroids never move because a twist of the felt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mork Toblerone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swedge66 wrote:
(snip) seems all the mats are made of cloth,vinyl and or felt. having not seen any of them in the flesh (snip)

What an interesting idea! I assume that you mean leather or some other hide, and not human flesh. On the second thought, a living person's skin would probably be just the right consistency. Maybe you could convince your Significant Other to lie down and you could play a game on his or her back? "Time for the trench run--careful, things could get hairy!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
Swedge66 wrote:
another game mat question.. seems all the mats are made of cloth,vinyl and or felt. having not seen any of them in the flesh i was wondering if they shift around when you move the ships on them etc? seems like the felt and fabric ones would? currently I am leaning toward the rubberized yoga mat myself. i actually have one that i do use a a workout mat, and the ONLY problem with it is that it has a slightly textured finish. just wondering if ANYBODY makes a rubberized and or silicone game mat? ships wouldn't slide around, mat wouldn't shift and it would deaden sounds and be good for dice rolling as well...

In my experience, the 3x3' vinyl ones do not shift during normal play. You've got to intentionally to move them, as the back of the vinyl sheet does have a slight texture and the vinyl tends to stick slightly to whatever surface you're playing on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I predominately use a 3 x 3 piece of felt that i painted with a starfield because I like the simplicity and the way that the bases rest on the felt. I also had a mat printed from a banner company that works well (but doesn't unroll very neatly) and I've played on the GF9 mats and those are great as well. I've even played on my slate topped lab tables at work by taping off a 3 x 3 area. The truth is that as long as you're careful and everyone is understanding and there to have fun, you can play X-Wing on damn near anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mitchell
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use a piece of felt that I created a star-field on, then I clip it down to the table. It doesn't move at all and it looks great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best playing surface is a yoga mat. I know it sounds weird, but once you try it you won't want to go back to another surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swedge Swedge
msg tools
yep looking for a yoga mat that does not have the pattern on it... or a similar material...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Best playing surface is a yoga mat. I know it sounds weird, but once you try it you won't want to go back to another surface.

Jeff, do you mind sharing where you found the yoga mat that you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will cut pretty perfectly into two 3x3 mats:

http://www.amazon.com/YogaAccessories-TM-Extra-Wide-Deluxe/d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swedge Swedge
msg tools
yeah that is the mat I use for workouts, however it has striations on it.. What I am looking for is something like a giant mouse pad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swedge Swedge
msg tools
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington-Industries-Carpet-Replac... just picked up one of these.. i mean for 8 bucks how can you go wrong... its like a thick black felt.. however the one i got is black on both sides..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Watts
msg tools
The Gale Force Nine Mats are GREAT, don't know about your currency, but if you can get one at about £25 GBP (UK Sterling). Dave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.