Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long is a player turn, in Duel of Ages II? If I understand correctly, a round for 3 players can be 15 minutes. I'm not fully sure of what a round is), so is 5 minutes per player turn a good estimate?

Furthermore, what's your take on the player turn length? Votes on how waiting for your turn would be appreciated! Here is the poll:
Poll: How does it feel to wait for your turn in Duels of Ages II?
How does waiting for your turn feel like?
I am fully involved in the game, all the time.
My mind sometimes wander while waiting for my opponents to play.
I can occasionally get bored while waiting for my turn.
Waiting is mostly uninteresting.
      29 answers
Poll created by lebigot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's fair to say a round takes 15 minutes.

Isn't the suggested game time with 16 rounds 3 hours? Something such? That's 22,5 minutes / round or 11 minutes / team round. Not that any of that matters and that that is my objection.

With more players it may actually move quicker because more people have decided what to do and there's less thinking per player. On the other hand it may still be harder to follow if more players play simultaneously.

Anyway, everyone will want to take notice of the free action.
If there is fire going on the opposite team will need to know what happen.
If you move the opposite team will need to know what happen.
If you do opfire the current team will want to know what happens.

If you play in teams with more than one person / team maybe you won't bother all that much about the other players happenings, up to you.

The only part where I don't think one have to bother all that much is the other players adventure. But then again what they receives could still be interesting.

So there is no dead time and waiting for your turn, it's always everyone's game.

The only part I'd say may slow down / feel like wasting some time is calculating numbers and drawing cards. I guess there even though I'm not one of those who have played DoA before I could see how maybe it would be fun to try out D10s anyway.

A round is many part, a round switches back and forth between teams and actions. In some games each part of a round could likely had been called a round instead where the round was a season part of a year or what not and different years had different happenings. That's not the case here but a round isn't really just one thing and just one player doing all their stuff while someone else wait for their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
If I understand correctly, a round for 3 players can be 15 minutes. I'm not fully sure of what a round is), so is 5 minutes per player turn a good estimate?

This is not a game where it's x minutes per player.

A 2v2 game has the exact same number of characters (usually 8) per side with the only difference being that in 1v1 each player controls all 8 and in 2v2 each takes 4. So the same number of actions still need to be resolved each round.

3v3 only adds one additional character per side so that adds a tiny bit of time, but the main factor in team games running longer is banter between players about strategy and action choices.

As for downtime, Op-fire means that once there are ranged attacks in play each side pays FULL attention while the enemy characters move, and then becomes literally engaged while making those op-fire shots.

With Adventures we often have the opposing team read the Adventure and Challenge cards to keep them involved during that time as well.

It is possible to have the mind wander just a bit if the other side gets bogged down in heavy analysis of their moves, but that's really down to the opponents not the game itself.

Overall I'd say there's a small amount of occasional downtime but nothing major compared to other games as long as you're not up against particularly AP prone players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think perhaps when you are discussing turn length the more salient issue is, at what point in the game are you? Midgame turns seem to take the longest, and 10-15 minutes for 2 players does not seem out of the norm for my games. The first few turns are usually pretty quick as you are for the most part just reinforcing and moving for the first 2-3 turns. And the endgame ones seem to go pretty fast as you usually know EXACTLY what you need/want to get down before time runs out, so there aren't a lot of decisions - you are at that point usually following up on a decision that you made earlier in the game. It's in the middle when everything is still up in the air that you have the most debating and waffling going on.

At least that's how it goes at my house!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I agree that downtime is really not an issue - you BETTER pay attention during your opponent's turn, or you will regret it! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
I think perhaps when you are discussing turn length the more salient issue is, at what point in the game are you? Midgame turns seem to take the longest, and 10-15 minutes for 2 players
Thank you for the detailed information. This really gives me a better feel for the game.

When you say "10-15 minutes for 2 players", are you describing the time it takes for a single player to play in a 2-player game, or for the 2 players to play in a 2-player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
When you say "10-15 minutes for 2 players", are you describing the time it takes for a single player to play in a 2-player game, or for the 2 players to play in a 2-player game?

10-15 minutes for both players, not for a single player. (Sorry so slow to respond!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.