Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This year I'm off to Essen, but work is really busy and I'm struggling to find the time to do my pre-Essen research, so I'm hoping the BGG community can help me out.

This year I'm particularly interested in games which I can play with my wife and children. The parameters I'm working with are:

Play well with 2, 3 or 4, but playing with 4 is more important.
Children are aged 10 and 5. The 5 year old has just mastered Marrakesh (by Haba) and Mexican Train Dominoes, and is really keen. The 10 year old enjoys games like Vegas (the dice game), Takenoko, King of Tokyo.
We often play before bedtime, so games which allow play without direct conflict are probably slightly preferred. For example King of Tokyo is popular but we tend to avoid going for the kill with Claws, although we're fine with using Claws to discourage taking up residence in Tokyo.

My wife is a non-gamer, although she sees the value of playing a game together as a family and is supportive, and will play. Her level of tolerance for rules is about the same (or possibly slightly less) than the 10 year old, although she is an intelligent woman (PhD from Cambridge).

Duration ideally would be about 30 minutes.

I'm looking for ideas for games to buy at Essen - can anyone recommend anything for me to look at?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be looking at Mucca Pazza, The Little Prince and Geister, Geister myself. In the category 'grown-up games children might like too', Leelawadee, Formula D and Mice & Mystics spring to mind.

The latter two aren't new games, but they seem to fit your criteria, so I thought I'd throw them in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I will check these out.

Game suggestions don't have to be new - I'm just looking for games available at the fair which I might want to buy.

New is always nice, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a look at the games recommended above, and found this years Kinderspiel nominations list which had Gold am Orinoko in it, which looks very good. I could only find video reviews in German but I think I got the gist of it.

Is anyone selling Giro Galoppo at Essen this year? It's been out for a while but also looks suitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Dixit? No direct conflict but there's a scoring track. Every turn a storyteller chooses his/her card and says a word/phrase/movietitle etc. and the other players would guess his/her card to score points. They would also place a card which sounds like what the storyteller is saying.

A 30min new game with little to no conflict would be Augustus. Some may call it Gamer's bingo, I would add in "with a hint of worker placement" to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
r0t1prata wrote:
Have you tried Dixit?

I own Dixit but haven't tried it yet. That's a good idea.

r0t1prata wrote:
A 30min new game with little to no conflict would be Augustus. Some may call it Gamer's bingo, I would add in "with a hint of worker placement" to that.

I'd previously considered this only as not being suitable for the other groups I play with. I hadn't thought about playing with my children.

I'm also considering a game called Golden Horn: Von Venedig nach Konstantinopel. Does anyone know if that will be available at Essen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piatnik isn't in the Spiel 2013 geeklist yet, you might want to keep an eye on that to see if they'll be there. Another game that could be good for you is Savannah Tails, a nice little racing game with ostriches - we just got it and it is well liked so far.

Edit: just saw on the 'beta' hall maps that Piatnik will be in Hall 3 - booth B108. You could mail them to see which games will be on offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am ordering The Enchanted Tower from amazon.de which would be a great game for your family.
It is a COOP, well sort of.
One person plays the sorcerer and everyone else plays Robin and you are trying to rescue a princess trapped in a tower.
This game has beautiful components and the gameplay looks fun.
Tom has a great review up you could check out.

Good luck,
Will

Edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eero Hulkkonen
msg tools
Roll D6 Games at the Arctic Union Booth Hall 1 Booth: 1-F148.

Roll D6 has family games for inexpensive Essen prices, check em out

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/21967/roll-d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damen Parker
Oman
Northampton
Muscat
flag msg tools
Trust me. You know it makes sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Uncle G,

So what did you go for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Devious,

I bought Gold am Orinoko, which has gone down very well and we have already played several times. I tried to buy another game called Richard Ritterschlag, but even though I found a copy I wasn't allowed to buy it. Haba have a booth where you can try their games, but you have to buy from their distributor booth, and while a copy of the game was in their try-it-out booth the distributor didn't have a copy. This left me in the rather frustrating position of holding a copy of the game in my hands while being told they didn't have a copy.

The other game which has gone down really well is Gesitesblitz. My daughter (10) has really got into it.

I had a look at Golden Horn, but it seemed to take slightly too long for what I was looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damen Parker
Oman
Northampton
Muscat
flag msg tools
Trust me. You know it makes sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks G,

I have Gesitesblitz already and will have a look in to the other titles you mention.

Mine (7 and 4) are both in to regular cards at the moment. It is truly amazing watching them develop strategies. The only thing they suffer from is the attention span but I am sure that will come.

Cheers
D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also "invested" in 6 nimmt and a new game called Blueprints, which I hope will be fun for them in a couple of years time. I'm sure they could play them now, but there's no need to rush them.

I own Tsuro and might try that before long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.