Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Short
United Kingdom
Grimsby
N.E.Lincs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I've had great fun playing this game and one of my favourite upgrades is the Muon Feedback Wave. So now I'm going to try and explain why I think this is a good option and some of the uses I found for it and tactics I use with it.

First off lets take a look at it. Muon Feedback Wave 4pt upgrade only purchasable by romulan science vessels it's effect is Action - Discard to place a Muon Token on a ship at range 1. So it is a one use affair that places a mysterious Muon token next to your opponent now you have to look at the Muon Token reference card. So when a ship has a muon token and moves it takes Hull damage in the movement round equal to the number of the manuver -1 (so do a 2 straight take a point of hull 3 bank take 2 hull; 5 straight take 4 hull!), this is pretty nasty now your opponent will want to get rid of this token quick how does he do this by preforming a green or white manuver and spending an action to do so.

Now onto tactical fun with this upgrade firstly to get the most out of this you have to give the ship it's on a low grade pilot because you move first in a round and can put a token on a ship that is yet to move this can sometimes catch your opponent off guard leading to him damaging his ship (but thats not how I plan to use it just a bonus). An opponent who recognises the threat will only attempt a one manuver hoping to immediatly rid himself of the token, knowing this use your ships in an attempt to block his 'one' manuvers as a collision prevents him from using an action to remove the token and forces him into the same dillemma the next turn (when it's also fun to try to cover a 2 manuver or two). Every turn your opponent keeps the token is a turn he cannot use an action for other purposes and limits his movement or takes damage (or even better takes damage and still can't get rid of the token). All this may seem quite minor but it puts a spanner into your opponents plans and messes up thier tempo allowing you to seize the advantage.

Ok may have rambled a bit and might not have got my point across as well as I hoped but hopefully it gives you something to think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a thread going on this in the sub-forum for the Apnex (irritating site layout), but I'm a little less sanguine about this being useful against anyone who knows you've got it and understands how it works. I don't see really huge maneuvers happen so often once you get close enough to use this, so you're spending 5 points to burn one action.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1046076/apnex-what-is-it-goo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Z
msg tools
If you can time it to when you are pretty sure the opponent is planning a come about maneuver you can make a real mess of things. Jump your science vessel with low captain skill in close, drop the muon token on them and chuckle maniacally as they enjoy 2 damage to their hull.

If you want to make it worse and don't mind all the extra set up toss the EM Pulse from the month 1 prize kit, give them an auxiliary power token first with one ship and then drop the muon with your science vessel. When they reveal what you were sure to be is a red maneuver you can turn their dial and pick their move for them. Instead of a 3 come about you pick a 4 straight and they take 3 damage instead.

Heck, the effect triggers multiple times if there are more than 1 muon assigned to a ship. Stick 3 of them on one ship when its about to flip around and it will take 6 damage to its hull!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.