Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you move onto a monastery and provoke a rampaging enemy with that move, then provoking the enemy has priority, and a battle against the provoked enemies (only) starts. Fair enough.

If I move onto a monastery and don't provoke an adjacent rampaging enemy with that move, and after that decide to burn down the monastery, am I allowed to fight against the purple enemy and additionally and voluntarily against the adjacent rampaging enemy?

I ask, because the rules only seem to forbid, to enter an adventure site and fight against rampaging enemies at the same time (rulebook p.7, 2d). A monastery is no adventure site. I cannot find a similar rule for burning down monasteries, although I have to admit, that it seemed inconsistent to me, if it would be allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only "bring in" adjacent rampaging enemies when you assault a fortified site (keep, tower, city)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that lightningfast official answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC burning a monastery is an action unto itself.

Rampaging enemies are engaged in 2 instances.
1) You move within their "threatened area" (not the case of your example). In this case the attack counts as an action for your turn. It also happens when you move in a fortified site to laid siege to it (but still it's the move that triggers the rampaging enemies).
2) You spend your action to attack them from an adjacent square.

If you choose option number 2, you can't also burn down the monastery (because it would be a second action, but you only have one).

Also, entering an adventure site is an action, so you can't both enter one and provoke or attack a rampaging enemy because of the limit of one action per turn.

Edit.
I stand corrected by Hermjard, Dulkal and morni. Thee is also an option:
3) You can actively challenge adjacent rampaging enemies during an assault to a fortified site (but still not during a monastery burning).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2) is not entirely true, because you can assault a fortified site (which is an action on its own) and additionally attack adjacent rampaging enemies at the same time. If attacking adjacent rampaging enemies would be an action on its own, that would not be allowed.

Instead starting a battle (forced and/or volutarily) is part of an action, which is as such embedded into an action (for example burning down a monastery, assaulting a fortified site, entering an adventure site). Which pieces are your opponents in this battle depends on the action, which "surrounds" this battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you assault a fortified site is the move that triggers both the rampaging enemy and the siege, and that's consume your action for the turn.

Edit.
Rewording: When you move into a fortified site, you trigger an assault (combat with the defenders) and that's consumes your action for the turn. If the move also provokes rampaging enemies, they are added to the same combat.

The same does not apply when you burn a monastery because, in order to burn it down you don't move, thus you can't provoke rampaging enemies.

2nd Edit.
I stand corrected by Hermjard, Dulkal and morni. You also can actively challenge adjacent rampaging enemies during an assault to a fortified site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
When you assault a fortified site is the move that triggers both the rampaging enemy and the siege, and that's consume your action for the turn.

Edit.
Rewording: When you move into a fortified site, you trigger an assault (combat with the defenders) and that's consumes your action for the turn. If the move also provokes rampaging enemies, they are added to the same combat.

The same does not apply when you burn a monastery because, in order to burn it down you don't move, thus you can't provoke rampaging enemies.

That does not really cover it, since you are allowed to challenge rampaging enemies when you assault a keep, even if your move did not provoke them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
[...]

That does not really cover it, since you are allowed to challenge rampaging enemies when you assault a keep, even if your move did not provoke them.

I'm sorry, but I can't find this in the Rulebook. Where is this explained?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:

Edit.

If you assault a fortified location, and their a rampaging monster (orc or dragon) around it.. even if not provoke you can add them to the battle.

Rule Page 7, section : Combat with Enemies, 2 c
Quote:
If your move started a combat and there are one or more
rampaging enemies adjacent to the space you moved into,
you may challenge them to join the fight. This means:
• You may provoke a rampaging enemy by your move,
then challenge one or more rampaging enemies adjacent
to the space you moved into, and then fight them all.
• When assaulting a fortied site, you may also challenge
any rampaging enemies adjacent to that site. They join
the defenders in combat, but are not fortied and you do
not need to defeat them in order to conquer the site

Rule Page 7, Section : Combat with enemies, 2d
Quote:
You cannot challenge extra enemies when entering an
adventure site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Thanks a lot! I was searching for keep but it is a more general rule. laugh
This really improves the action economy in some cases laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.