Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game with expansion cards and rules, no optional rules

The opening victory at Pearl Harbour forced Nimitz to retreat to the West Coast, and was an invaluable lesson to the Japanese army and navy that greatly increased their combat abilities. Elsewhere their forces were similarly successful, forcing the Chinese from Hunan, the British from Hong Kong, and dislodging MacArthur from Luzon. More importantly their forces quickly captured Java to take control of the vital oil supplies. However, these successes were taking a toll on the Japanese troops and a defeat at the Battle of Coral Sea caused significant casualties amongst their experienced pilots and troops who could only be replaced by raw recruits.

Fierce fighting occurred trying to stop Nimitz advancing from Midway, which he had quickly captured once reorganised from the defeat at Pearl Harbour and starting his campaign. This fighting required a lot of oil, and despite the resources at Java, the Empire found itself quickly running low on this precious resource. With Nimitz threatening the Solomons the Japanese risked an attack on his base at Midway but the results in a mighty battle were inconclusive. A more direct approach of attacking Nimitz's forces succeeded in pushing him back to the New Hebrides and the Japanese promptly fortified the Solomons.

Whilst the Battle of the Bismarck ended in a tactical Japanese victory, their forces were unable to prevent MacArthur returning to Luzon or Nimitz blasting through the fortifications on the Solomons. A concerted effort by the Allies carried Chang Ku-Shek into Manchukuo and Nimitz on to the islands at Iwo Jima. Meanwhile, an extremely effective submarine initiative by the Americans started to have a detrimental impact on the Japanese war effort.

As Wavell made an emotional return to Hong Kong, MacArthur made a triumphant entrance in Formosa, and Nimitz captured Okinawa, things began to look very bleak for the Empire. Their prestige had plummeted and with the Japanese mainland now threatened their preparations for invasion were revealed to be woefully inadequate. After organising a massive thousand bomber raid that decimated what scant defences were on the mainland, the forces of Wavell, MacArthur and Nimitz all simultaneously stormed Japan and completely overwhelmed the Empire.

Analysis: For most of the game I was able to keep my resources at reasonable levels, although towards the end the Army-Navy were down to 1 and Prestige on 0. But by then a military defeat seemed inevitable. I was unable to keep MacArthur or Nimitz at bay with an awful lot of 1s and 2s being rolled! This enabled the British to sneak back into Hong Kong which resulted in a pre-invasion preparation disaster (these rules are from the expansion). With both American units and the British units sitting on the 1 spaces things didn't look good, but the end result was spectacular with the next card drawn being the Thousand Bomber Raid. This calls for all armies to advance except one, with the force not advancing being determined by a die roll. And it was the Chinese that didn't advance! With 3 units in the Japanese homeland and 3 actions available I was going to need some amazing rolls! Which I didn't get. And even if I had it would have only prolonged the inevitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Plaything through my Victory Point Games titles
Good job placing your session within the historical context, Paul.

One rule of thumb for the Japanese: "Don't Panic!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed it, Steve. You've given me plenty of enjoyment with your game so it's nice to be able to return the favour in my own small way.

Couldn't agree more about not panicking. Unfortunately I definitely did panic with Nimitz, MacArthur, and Wavell all on the their 1 spaces and no home island defence!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would change your dice if I were you, Paul!

Enjoying your session reports. Nice little game, this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.