Subject: Indonesia: maybe for online play but need Inkscape help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I have been toying with the idea of programming an online (non-commercial) boardgame for some time. The game I had in mind is Indonesia. (I asked the designers if this would be okay.) I’m a programmer of 20 years experience but this would be my first attempt at making a game.

The main deterrent is my lack of skills in the graphics department. My plan is to implement the game using scalable vector graphics (SVG, Inkscape's native tongue). I am asking for help from any experienced Inkscape users out there. The main task is to chop the board into the puzzle pieces I need to implement the game. I don't need any text or details on the map whatsoever. I am merely trying to bust it up into plain spaces probably entailing 4 layers: the continents themselves, the provinces within the continents, the regions within the provinces, and ocean spaces. Having help with this would greatly increase the chances that I bring the game to fruition.

What might be a couple weeks of effort on my part might take only hours from someone with true Inkscape/graphics experience. (I was deliberate about not posting this under the Indonesia subforum because I wanted to reach a broader audience of game enthusiasts with graphic skills.)

Thanks for your consideration.
Mario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have negative graphical skills, so I can't help - but I would be ecstatic if you put this together. I've been thinking of doing it myself, but I'm not a programmer by trade. Out of curiosity, what type of implementation are you looking at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be an interactive web site with a nodejs server. All the code would be javascript. I'd probably use RaphaelJS or SVG.js for the GUI but all this is new to me so I'll have to learn as I go. Getting the map broken down into SVG spaces is really my main problem. I think if I get that I'll be good to go.

Potentially down the road other programmer could create AI bots to play. I may take a crack at that myself, but that's V2 not V1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I can send to you adobe illustrator work I did for my indomap. It's all in vector, and most of the work it done. I never finished all of it(just no time). But if you want to save some time, you're welcome to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Chapel, that would be kind of you. I'll see if I can make use of it. I ultimately have to get each area (continent, province, region) broken down into polygons to make it work as I intend. I'm trying to be general about the underlying abstraction (i.e. how a map is represented) so that it would be possible plug another map (maybe the Philippines) into the same engine at a later time.

I don't have Illustrator. Is it possible to convert your files to the standard SVG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
You can open it in inkscape(What I was showing in the image is in inkscape). I don't own Illustrator anymore, so any conversions will have to be done by someone else.

Geekmail me you email account and I will send it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is this map available in this thread

And I'm working on a revised version for myself:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan,

I have to ask. Do you have SVG files of that you're willing to share?

Mario

PS: I had already been using the other file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlanza wrote:
I have to ask. Do you have SVG files of that you're willing to share?

I'm not familiar with that format, but I'm using Photoshop CS2 so I'll have to check but I might be able to generate that format. I still have a few things that need to be cleaned up on the image, but I'd be willing to share it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.