Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has everyone been using the Range 1 measurement for the 4" rules? And assuming that the whole Range ruler was 1' like I have?

Before my OP1 event on Sat. I decided to check it out. The Range 1 isn't 4" long. It's 10cm. That's only 3.937 inches. Range 3 is 30cm, or 11.811 inches. While 10cm -> 4 inch difference probably doesn't matter that much, losing an 1/8 of an inch at Range 3 is not insignificant. That's more than just the thickness of the red lines between the ranges.

Are the non-English rules printed in metric and therefore match the range ruler?

I know it doesn't make that big of a difference overall as long as everyone uses the same measuring guides, I just wish they'd have put the actual length in all the rules. Drop the 4" and just say "Range 1". Don't even both with inches/cm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was kind of surprised that they quoted 4" for placement, given that this isn't a tape-measure based game. I shrugged, and had everyone just use range 1 for placement, with range 2 for mines vs DS9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did the same. Somewhere it was posted to just use range one for the measurement so that is what we went with. not sure that .063 of an ich is that much of a difference to ever matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Gould
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not near the rules, but I'm *sure* I saw it listed that you were supposed to use the rulers for measuring starting area...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 5 of the rulebook does say"...each segment on the Range Ruler is 4" long, so this will be a guide for players to measure out their starting areas." and Page 6 and 7 both show Range 1 as the length of the starting area. Except Range 1 isn't 4" long like the rulebook says. It's 30cm. Would it be illegal for me to pull out a real ruler to measure my 4" starting area, or just dickish?
Not that I'm planning on actually doing that. Things like this just annoy me. If they wanted us to use Range 1, just say Range 1. If they wanted it to be 4", make the Range Ruler actually 1 ft long. Or don't say 4", say 30cm and Range 1. But right now the rulebook is in conflict with itself AND it shows that WizKids can't measure. Or has really sloppy quality control.

I bet we can blame FFG for this, right? Is X-Wing the same way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vannueten
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the confusion. And it's not only wizkids that fails at this measuring thing. The usual space mats you can buy are 36" on 36" and between brackets it sais 90 on 90 cm which is also not the same. I think it's just of matter of rounding down/up to make it easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.