Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday evening I discovered the idea of being 95% Vegan. I never knew a vegan diet could be so easy. As I was running the numbers in my head I realized I was doing this all along pretty much my entire life!

I don't eat any animal products for about 95% of every day, leaving me free to indulge in meat, cheese and other such goodness during meal times... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been vegan for over ten years.

I don't think its for everyone.
Even simply reducing the amount of meat and dairy consumed is going to be beneficial for most people on a typical western diet, and it certainly will be great benefit to the planet.
Being vegan is a journey not a destination. I'm not sure it is possible to eliminate animal products from a persons purchasing habits, they show up in products well beyond foodstuffs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
What if you dream about eating bacon? Does that bring your percentage down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
What if you dream about eating bacon? Does that bring your percentage down?
Does dreaming about work put more money into your account?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a pescatarian for over 6 years and feel great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've been cutting back on the amount of meat I eat. When I was younger, I felt like I needed to eat meat at least once a day to feel right. Now I feel like I only need it a couple of times a week.

No one can convince me that a strictly vegetarian diet is more healthy than a diet with a little meat here and there, because there are essential nutrients found in meat that are difficult or impossible to get anywhere else. But I strive to have the vast majority of what I eat be plant-based and as natural as possible. We have been hitting the farmers' markets hard all summer and loving all the local fresh fruits and vegetables. The last one of the summer was this past week, and we're sad that it's over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have cut my beef+pork back to twice a week (once at lunch, once at dinner). I mostly have chicken and turkey instead now. I'd say that only about 30%-40% of my meals are vegetarian. I'd like to increase that though. (Actually, all my breakfasts are vegetarian, I always have plain yogurt with oats, but I mean 30%-40% of my lunches+dinners are vegetarian).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
I've been cutting back on the amount of meat I eat. When I was younger, I felt like I needed to eat meat at least once a day to feel right. Now I feel like I only need it a couple of times a week.

No one can convince me that a strictly vegetarian diet is more healthy than a diet with a little meat here and there, because there are essential nutrients found in meat that are difficult or impossible to get anywhere else. But I strive to have the vast majority of what I eat be plant-based and as natural as possible. We have been hitting the farmers' markets hard all summer and loving all the local fresh fruits and vegetables. The last one of the summer was this past week, and we're sad that it's over.

I'm not even vegetarian let alone vegan, but I suspect we need far less meat than people realize and some people might need zero.

Google Seventh Day Adventist and longevity. Study after study has shown that they live longer than others regardless of where they are located. SDA's don't smoke, don't drink and most are vegetarian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicken isn't vegan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Chicken isn't vegan?

Depends on who is manufacturing it.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/09/fakemeat/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
Leezer wrote:

I'm not even vegetarian let alone vegan, but I suspect we need far less meat than people realize and some people might need zero.

Google Seventh Day Adventist and longevity. Study after study has shown that they live longer than others regardless of where they are located. SDA's don't smoke, don't drink and most are vegetarian.

Thats the three most common causes of cancer gone (that of course do not mean no cancer just reduced risk)

(As for the ground post, this gona be hard not to rsp)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
(As for the ground post, this gona be hard not to rsp)
You mean my post virre? To be honest all I ever intended to do was post a little quib at vegiternianism.

Personally I've been trying to cut back on meat as well. Mostly for ecological reasons. But it isn't easy when our lunch cafeteria insist on putting such abominations like Quorn into pretty much every vegetarian menu... There's so much good stuff you can do without resorting to that.

As for health benefits. I'm sceptical that a vegan/vegetarian diet really is healthier than a balanced meat diet. I've heard time and again that you really need to be careful with your diet when going vegi. So really the comparison most commonly made is not between mixed diet and vegi diet but between casual meat heavy diet and carefully crafted vegi diet. To me it is not surprising that someone who puts more effort into crafting a balanced diet is going to enjoy higher benefits than someone who just eats what he feels like. It'd be interesting to see at what point reducing meat intake comes with diminishing returns assuming you balance your diet with equal care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Per aspera ad astra.
badge
I'm complately nermal.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about 95% vegetarian, working on the vegan and "responsibly consuming"/"healthier diet" part.

I'd love to go all vegan but I don't realistically see it happening, BUT I'm working on phasing out 95% of my milk & cheese, because I don't think there's any true "ethical" or "cruelty free" way to produce them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I've been a pescatarian for over 6 years and feel great

I find your claims to be fishy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A meal without meat isn't a meal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Vegetables aren't food.. they're what food eats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Play along at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I was 95% raw food for 3 weeks. The results were amazing. I would love to get back to that but my living situation changed and it's difficult to do when living with others. Side effects: allergies disappeared (I even tried to provoke them), lost 5 pounds a week, restroom breaks were super quick, I had more energy all day, I could go to sleep within 2 minutes of lying down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
I was 95% raw food for 3 weeks. The results were amazing. I would love to get back to that but my living situation changed and it's difficult to do when living with others. Side effects: allergies disappeared (I even tried to provoke them), lost 5 pounds a week, restroom breaks were super quick, I had more energy all day, I could go to sleep within 2 minutes of lying down.
Wow! Three weeks of Sushi and Carpaccio? Impressive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Kempeth wrote:
toober wrote:
Wow! Three weeks of Sushi and Carpaccio? Impressive!

No, no carpaccio. Sushi maybe and jerky definitely. But mostly vegetables, fruits, nuts (natural peanut butter). The 5% I allowed myself bread so I could still make sandwiches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.