Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Sansone
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I opened up my Eclipse box over the weekend ...

As a proud owner of Axis & Allies (4th edition), I am quite familiar with the "tackle box" mode of storage solution.

My question for the studied and heavily experienced Eclipse players out there is this: would you recommend the tackle box as an optimal storage solution for this fine game? I don't mind buying "the tackle box" if you tell me it's an effective means of containing the chaos.

Thank you in advance for considering this humble question from a newbie Eclipse gamemaster/gamerunner.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

Not sure what the "tackle box" is, but I use these:

And they work a treat. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT trays work great as well and they occupy very little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently just use plasti-bands and ziplocks. It sets up fairly fast - the compromise is that I bag up every two columns of the upgrade tiles, so each bag does require a little sorting during set up.

But, I have nowhere near 100+ plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
50+plays I have the whole base game in one big tackle box with all components separated to their own sections, setup/cleanup time has decreased to few mins. ROTA stuff fit in their box just fine without any boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Lochi wrote:

They are great for the ship pieces. And using the bags for each player components, usually is enought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zorro_jv wrote:
Lochi wrote:

They are great for the ship pieces. And using the bags for each player components, usually is enought.

Enough

We have to play Eclipse again so you can beat me once more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for GMT trays - 90% of stuff goes in there. Very convenient and still fit into the original box. Ships into plastic bags separated by color and hexes stored separately in the box. The setup is relatively quick, but what matters most, is that you can operate the game smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Another vote for GMT trays - 90% of stuff goes in there. Very convenient and still fit into the original box. Ships into plastic bags separated by color and hexes stored separately in the box. The setup is relatively quick, but what matters most, is that you can operate the game smoothly.

could you post a photo to see how it fits in the GMT trays ? can't imagine to be efficient...

thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
powerwis wrote:
could you post a photo to see how it fits in the GMT trays ? can't imagine to be efficient...

thanks !

Second this. And these GMT trays, are these the ones (sorry for the non-English site, this is one of the stores I buy from): http://www.worldofboardgames.com/counter_tray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, these are the GMT trays. They're sometimes hard to come by, but they're really cheap.

I'll post pics later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sansone
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

Not sure what the "tackle box" is, but I use these:

And they work a treat. cool

Excellent recommendation; thanks.

Care to illustrate your actual use of these types of storage containers with this particular board game, Eclipse?

Tim

(edited to clarify question)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also use two GMT trays, a Plano 3500, and baggies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
kirkbauer wrote:

For the base game only, or with the expansion? If with the expansion, this setup may be what I've been looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my setup (Eclipse + Rota + Pulsar + Supernova) :

It might not be super-neat, but it has two significant pros:
- it's cheap (couple of trays + baggies)
- it fits perfectly in the box, without the lid being pushed up

Reuptation tiles and technology tiles are kept in cloth bags, as they're drawn from them anyway. Baggies are organized per player, so player receives it's own "set", he's responsible for during and after the game.

Hexes are separated by ring or type (for expansions).
Bigger elements, I just put in separate baggies (pawns, dice, cards, ancient ships). It doesn't matter that much where you store them, as they're pulled out to the game anyway.

3 trays are organized as follows:
- first one has another set of "startup items" per player - resource markers, colony ships and ambassador tiles. All the other slots are occupied by tiles that are either needed occasionally in the game, or tiles you draw from (that's why discovery tiles are in 3 slots and 6 piles - to allow for better "randomness")
- second one has all the upgrade ship tiles that are not weapons, organized by power and type
- second one has all the upgrade ship tiles that are weapons, organized by power and type

These trays usually sit somewhere close to the main table, opened, and are either passed to the player who makes the decision, or they're operated by one designated player that gives out the desired elements. Tiles are never pulled out from them, to the table, always sit in there, keeping the table relatively (for Eclipse ) clean. It's very useful to have ship tiles arranged like this, because it gives you instant visual feedback for comparison and available options (especially for new players). Obviously, a bigger tray for both weapons and ship parts would be cool (as you can see, 2-3 more columns would fit perfectly), but since GMT have only one sizes, I've decided to arrange them like this, with all the necessary breathing space, that might not look very neat, but helps during actual game.

I've tried plano box in the past, but I couldn't find one that would fit in the box (but as you can see on previous posts, it's not impossible) and would store the tiles in a such way, that I don't have to "reorganize" them during the game for better clarity/operability. Still, they're sort of clunky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
* Ship parts in a tackle box, which can be passed to the player who needs them. Alternatively, I've heard posters state that they just put all the parts in one large bag or box, and players can fish for the part they need. They say that this is pretty quick.

* VP tiles and technologies are kept in the bags they need to be in in the game anyway.

* Player parts each in their own ziploc bag. If you don't mind spending a bit of money, keeping the cubes in trays that can be placed swiftly on the player mat decreases set-up time. Bradley Eng-Kohn produced bottomed trays which you can store, with cubes, in the box, but he seems to have stopped producing game bits. Instead of ziploc bags, you can create tuckboxes for each player. At least two templates can be downloaded from the files section (I think that my template is the better looking one ).

You can go a bit over the top and get to solutions like this one (my system) or this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
kollapse wrote:
kirkbauer wrote:

For the base game only, or with the expansion? If with the expansion, this setup may be what I've been looking for.

baggies in nine colours, presumably for the player pieces. And that means that the expansion is included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Whymme wrote:
baggies in nine colours, presumably for the player pieces. And that means that the expansion is included.

Well, I guess one could count the baggies to find out. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
kollapse wrote:
kirkbauer wrote:

Correct. I should have stated that this includes the expansion. Originally I only needed one GMT tray for the base game, but with the expansion I added the second GMT tray and of course 3 more baggies.

The nice thing about the GMT trays for the ship components is I never sort them out, I just pop the lids off and use them as the storage area during the game.

The box is full but the lid fits on completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
kirkbauer wrote:
Correct. I should have stated that this includes the expansion. Originally I only needed one GMT tray for the base game, but with the expansion I added the second GMT tray and of course 3 more baggies.

The nice thing about the GMT trays for the ship components is I never sort them out, I just pop the lids off and use them as the storage area during the game.

The box is full but the lid fits on completely.

I have actually ordered a Plano 3500 after I saw your solution, and will get a couple of GMT trays. Those nice looking baggies however I have no idea where to get around here. A nice looking solution nonetheless. You're not using the included baggy for the reputation tiles btw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kollapse wrote:
I have actually ordered a Plano 3500 after I saw your solution, and will get a couple of GMT trays. Those nice looking baggies however I have no idea where to get around here. A nice looking solution nonetheless. You're not using the included baggy for the reputation tiles btw?

The white black cloth bag that you can't see is the reputation tiles bag. The white cloth bag is the technology tiles bag.

Only place to buy the colored baggies is www.boardgamestorage.com (international shipping available, although of course it does cost extra).

Edit: confused my cloth bags!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Thanks! Are these the larger ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kollapse wrote:
Thanks! Are these the larger ones?

These are the 4"x6" size which work perfectly for this game (I even have the reference card in there). The 3"x5" size won't quite hold all of the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
rattkin wrote:
- first one has another set of "startup items" per player - resource markers, colony ships and ambassador tiles.

Question: why don't you put them in the player bags?
In my box, these items are stored in the tuckboxes for each player. The shrine markers for Lyra are also kept in the Lyra tuck box. For me, the advantages are that the player immediately has all the parts that he needs, and that no extra parts are lying around the table during the game. Cleaning up goes a bit faster as well, as you don't have to gather these resources from every player mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
rattkin wrote:
- first one has another set of "startup items" per player - resource markers, colony ships and ambassador tiles.

Question: why don't you put them in the player bags?
In my box, these items are stored in the tuckboxes for each player. The shrine markers for Lyra are also kept in the Lyra tuck box. For me, the advantages are that the player immediately has all the parts that he needs, and that no extra parts are lying around the table during the game. Cleaning up goes a bit faster as well, as you don't have to gather these resources from every player mat.

err.. because I don't want to bind colors to races. I know that the manual and pictures "suggest" the race color, but it's a game for human beings, who tend to have their own color preferences and don't want to be limited by arbitrary color-race setup. This way it's disjointed. It doesn't change anything in the setup, as ship pack is just given out - you don't have to do much with it during the setup. The main tray lies in the middle of the table, so that everyone can reach for their set of additional tokens.

The other reason is that I absolutely abhor mixing components that have different functional or thematical "appliance", if you will.

The cleanup after Eclipse is always insanely long, unless you just grab everything from the table and throw willy-nilly into the box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.