Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ubaldo Bastardo
United States
Nonantum
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through this a few times now with the GF and we both love the game. Our only complaint is that it seems to end a little too soon. We've always played the first scenario. There are very few opportunities to use spells and advanced actions before the game ends. We've hardly been able to recruit any advanced units, and when we have they're just for score only. They don't see any action. We do have the luxury of leaving the game out and playing it in sessions over a few days. Does anyone have a suggested set up for maybe a 5day/5night game, or something else to extend the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not enough experience with this game to give you a thorough counsel, but my impression is that you can hone your skills at MK through through repetitive plays.

The more you play, the less errors you make, the more optimal your rounds become, and the earlier you start to acquire spells, artifacts and elite units. Discovering a core tile within the second day (thus triggering the elite units), is definitely possible. It's a matter of pace.

Also, under the variant rules, the "More Deckbuilding" one (page 15) may help your case. It gives both more versatility to your decks and more fuel to acquire and use other "power" cards before game end.

That said, I think that adding 4 rounds to the game is not a great deal when the players aren't experienced; but with veteran players it may lead to incredibly powerful decks that may explode in a giant atomic mushroom of awesomeness. This may seem cool, but I also suspect that it could become a very unstable ("swingy") game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the first Scenario you mean, FIRST RECONNAISSANCE?

That scenario should only be played once to learn the game That's why you don't get to use the cool stuff.

Try a Full Conquest (long game)
or a Blitz Conquest (same game but faster).

You should have more interesting turn with those 2 scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you been playing "First Reconaissance" or "Full Conquest"? And how many is "very few opportunities"?

If you're playing First Recon, yes, it ends too soon! It's meant to be a tutorial scenario. You should be playing Full Conquest as soon as you can.

If you're playing Full Conquest and it's not even taking the full 3 days / 3 nights, you might want to first try increasing the city levels, so that you both need to go a little slower instead of ending the game as soon as possible.

If you're playing Full Conquest and it's taking the full six rounds, it might be worth trying to level up faster -- getting powerful cards earlier can mean using them once or even twice more before the game ends, which I guess doesn't sound like much, but... I dunno, using a spell even ONCE can be a huge deal.

[Edit: Ninja'd.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
morni wrote:
If the first Scenario you mean, FIRST RECONNAISSANCE?

That scenario should only be played once to learn the game That's why you don't get to use the cool stuff.

Try a Full Conquest (long game)
or a Blitz Conquest (same game but faster).

You should have more interesting turn with those 2 scenario.

I don't think he's talking about the training scenario, as he mentions advanced units and wanting to extend the game to 5 days and 5 nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubaldo Bastardo
United States
Nonantum
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't recall the name, but Full Conquest sounds right. It's the first one listed in the scenario list at the end of the manual, definitely not First Reconnaisance. I understand the comments about pacing and proficiency at the game. I'm sure we're not even approaching optimal play, but we're having fun. I don't want to throw the game balance off, but it feels like we're just getting to the midpoint of a good game when it's done. We'll reach the core tiles on day 3, probably conquer the cities, then it's time to tally scores. I'm just curious if anyone has a good suggestion to extend the game a bit past this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing the 6 round Full Conquest, then I cant understand how you are not getting opportunities to recruit Advanced Units or use spells, etc. All of this normally happens in a full game.

But... if you are happy playing for another X hours then I'm not sure. I guess you could just play with more tiles, and more cities. Play a 3 player game, but with only 2 of you. That would sure make it harder I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
just use all the game tiles and stretch that game out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubaldo Bastardo
United States
Nonantum
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
If you are playing the 6 round Full Conquest, then I cant understand how you are not getting opportunities to recruit Advanced Units or use spells, etc. All of this normally happens in a full game.

But... if you are happy playing for another X hours then I'm not sure. I guess you could just play with more tiles, and more cities. Play a 3 player game, but with only 2 of you. That would sure make it harder I guess.

That sounds like a good suggestion, we'll try it the next go round. Only for clarification: we do get spells and use them. Sometimes spells/advanced actions that are acquired in round 5 or 6 can only be used to play sideways for +1 something. The bigger problem is the advanced units. We can recruit them, but only on the final 1 or 2 turns. Given what others are saying, it's probably more an issue for us than the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add an extra city with level + 8 or something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Libonati Rocha
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubaldo Bastardo wrote:
I couldn't recall the name, but Full Conquest sounds right. It's the first one listed in the scenario list at the end of the manual, definitely not First Reconnaisance. I understand the comments about pacing and proficiency at the game. I'm sure we're not even approaching optimal play, but we're having fun. I don't want to throw the game balance off, but it feels like we're just getting to the midpoint of a good game when it's done. We'll reach the core tiles on day 3, probably conquer the cities, then it's time to tally scores. I'm just curious if anyone has a good suggestion to extend the game a bit past this point.

the Lost Legion expansion brings new features and new scenarios that could be what you`re looking for!

Try to increase the city levels or play with magalopolis (is this the name when you put two cities together?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin George
United States
New York
flag msg tools
If your not getting the opportunity to use your advanced units then it might mean that you are not unlocking them soon enough. When the others say learn to optimize your play you must know when attack, interact, move, and explore. Consider pushing forward faster, especially when you have a hand full of moves. Learn when to pass up early opportunities for future goals (I.e different forts, enemies, and most importantly gold tiles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Knauth
Germany
Erdmannhausen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubaldo Bastardo wrote:
Only for clarification: we do get spells and use them. Sometimes spells/advanced actions that are acquired in round 5 or 6 can only be used to play sideways for +1 something. The bigger problem is the advanced units. We can recruit them, but only on the final 1 or 2 turns. Given what others are saying, it's probably more an issue for us than the game itself.

We always play the Full Conquest Scenario as 2-player-game, but add 2 more city-tiles and one more brown non-city-tile.
The last two cities revealed will have level 6 each.

So you have the chance to really use the golden units which are only available in cities.
And even with the 4 cities we mostly can finish the scenario before the end of the 6th round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.