Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne Applewhite
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have waited a very long time to play this gem and finally, Saturday night we got it on the table.

It was start/stop (rules check) for about the 1st 25 minutes and then it was smooth the rest of the way (did not remember if the price changed as you made new tanks available and found it to be true only if you did not have new tanks for the next turn and if ore or energy was at 0, the price for that resource went up 4 in price). Other than that and a minor issue with claiming zones, no problems with the rules.

Kurt jumped out with the lead, building an engine of water and energy on the river and placing the support airship to boot - lots of resources collected. I went second and acquired a nice synergy system for water and energy too. Knut thought it too expensive and did not by any tanks; hmmmmm.

Then it was bid each other up, grab the support airship, build converters, take certificates and generally learn the game this first time around. Kurt took advantage of importing tanks, Knut with lots of money still strategically built tanks, sold resources and grabbed the auction lead here and there, while I lost my place on the map and did not fare well with zones (ended the game with only 6 zones). I did manage to purchase 4 of the certificates that netted 200 credits for me at game end, but I had a brain fart and did not have enough water (I'm talking I only needed 1 more water than I had) to purchase a tank to cover my last zone on the map and get lots of credits (I was going to generate lots of ore and sell it as ore was at 18!). But, that did not happen because of my failure to think it all through and did not have that one needed water...

Soooooooooo, Knut having a large footprint on the map, a superconductor, lots of tanks, and enough resources to cash in, came away with the victory! I took second while Kurt was left in the Steam whistle.

Both Knut and I liked the game a lot. Kurt wants to play again to give it another try.

I found it to be very fun. It has many avenues to victory. There is a lot going on all at once and yet, very simple in a linear sort of way. The player aid is great sans the need for energy to engage your tanks (have to remember that one).

The board is fabulous and the bits (this is the FFG edition)are excellent if not superb! I am on the hunt for a small Zepplen to replace the support airship maker as opposed to the 2D cardboard one that comes with the game.

We also just placed the tanks themselves on the tank market row as opposed to the "marker" and it added to the great looking board; just a thought.

Anyway, I have rambled on too long but it was a very fun time, just over 2 hours.

Can't wait to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great to hear! This is my Wealth of Nations replacement, a game I loved but took far too long. This appears somewhat similar but without the negotiation of that game, a blessing and a curse. A curse because negotiation is fun! A blessing because negotiation was the reason each game took far longer than we normally have time for

I was supposed to break it out Saturday but my opponents decided to be annoying and just leave after lunch, despite our plans. Ah well, maybe I can put it in the New To You geeklist for October.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game last week as well and really enjoyed it.

Maybe the Wings of War zeppelin may be what you want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this game set up on my table last week, and ended up just doing a few play-through turns to get the rules down. Next time I set it up, I swear I'm going to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.