Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played in my Month 2 event yesterday. 6 people in total, and we played all three games.

My build:
Gor Portas
Thot Gor
ED
Photons
Aide

Kraxon
Gul Danar? (Allows 1 reroll)

Valdore
Mirok

It was humorous, people were always thinking I was protecting my Breen ship, but it was just the captain order that caused my initial placements.

First game was against Klingons, 1 Negh'Var and 2x Vor'Cha build. I ran right along 1 edge, alwasy managing to stay slightly further from the OWP than my opponent. Kraxon dies first, then the Breen, but the Valdore shots combined with sequential OWP hits took out his fleet by the last turn. Win, he scored 68 pts.

Second game was another klingon fleet, Negh'Var and a Vor'Cha max build with the attack die. He also had the Admiral re-roll chit.
We both ran along the side again, and same situation developed where I lost the Kraxon first then the Breen. We took turns takinf hits from the OWPs. He played better though, and I had some bad turns where I lost actions by running into ships. Ended up losing, but I scored ~ 50 pts by killing the neghVar.

Third game was against Romulans, and was the most enjoyable game. The judge was running 2 D'deridex and 1 Valdore, with Donatra, Toreth, and someone else. He was bolder, and planned to run straight thru the OWP to get to me early before I could set up a Breen alpha (needing TL and hopefully Sensors). Turn one he ended up taking FIVE hits by 2 OWP to tear up one D'deridex, Long range sniping on turn 2 took it out. He played quite well on the next turns, crippling the Kraxon and the Breen, but losing position with me on his tail. The last couple turn I lost the Breen to an OWP hit, he lost his 2nd Deridex to Valdore disruptors, and I made a bad call and ran my Cardassian tugboat off the table. (Doh!) I had about 3 runs of 4 hit rounds, and his last ship (Valdore was crippled and I had position.

Last round it was Valdore vs Valdore, and while he got in some shots I survived to land another 5 hit round on him for the win.

Great second tourney. The OWPs were pivotal in almost every game, and position was key. In most games I managed to stay just slightly further away, and rolled some good damage rounds.

In every game, my Kraxon died first, then the Breen, and I only lost the Valdore in game 2. The Breen never got to set up an ED attack, as I could not lock onto the cloaked ships. The Kraxons healthy 4 attack dice and 180 arc helped, but the star was definitely my Valdore, performing great in all games. All my games had the critical last turn, making each one a nail biter.

I ended up winning the tourney, and took home the BoP. Very nice ship indeed. I may play that in another OP2 event...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great report! So you did find that the one time it survived an initial pass that the Galor's maneuverability is too low really be effective after the joust?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the first joust run, the Galor (if it lived) was more a hindrance in trying to keep it out of OWP range yet trying to get it back into battle. If I play again, that ship is out. More maneuverable ships will have an advantage in this layout.The Valdores and Klingons U-turn ability was much in evidence this game. Even our normal Federation players swapped to Klingons for this battle just for the maneuvering.

On a flip side though, for whatever reason the Kraxon was always the first target, and so saved and protected the more critical Valdore.

With only a narow corridor on the map sides allowing free movement, captain abilits was also key, more than upgrades.Its such a restriced space than ships often ran into each other, thus losing critical actions.

If I play again, I may go back to my 2 Valdore 1 D'deridex fleet. Captains like Donatra who bump other ships will almost always be in effect here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on winning the Klingon BoP!

Thanks for the batrep. Can't wait for mine but it isn't until October 19th!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Skillman
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
I'm curious why not having a lock would prevent you from using the Breen Energy Disruptors? You don't need a target lock to use them like you do torpedoes, and they are an awesome weapon, as a single hit getting through decloaks them, lowers their shields, AND gives you a free attack with a different weapon, primary or secondary. But yeah, you don't need a target lock for all secondary weapone, just the ones that say so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanIsSkillman wrote:
I'm curious why not having a lock would prevent you from using the Breen Energy Disruptors? You don't need a target lock to use them like you do torpedoes, and they are an awesome weapon, as a single hit getting through decloaks them, lowers their shields, AND gives you a free attack with a different weapon, primary or secondary. But yeah, you don't need a target lock for all secondary weapone, just the ones that say so.

A target lock would help that weak 3 die attack get through a Cloak + Sulu defense pool. Most 3 dice attacks will be easily evaded by 7 or 8 defense dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.