Popular Tags: [View All]
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought the base game and like it.

Have played the mirkwood scenario about 7-8 times to get the hang is the game. Only using one set of heroes from one sphere of influence and not playing shadow cards until I'm a little more xperienced.

My Q is this. I've had about 2 games where even though the encounter deck was well shuffled four locations came out on after the other and I got crucified with all the locations threat and it was game over even with all my heroes committed to the quest. They had a combined willpower of 4 Legolas Gim and Thain.
Was I playing wrong or was it just crap luck.
Or is there a way to overcome or minimise the chances of it happening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alogos teeheehee
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The core set allows you to grasp the pros and cons of all sphere.

It will be hard, even with all the cards, for a mono Tactic deck, to quest enough to beat 3/4 locations coming out. Questing is, has you have discovered yourself, the nemesis of Tactic.

So, bad luck for you to draw your nemesis 4 times in a row.

If you play with the Spirit deck, you'll see yourself having bad times dealing with enemies.

Beating the first scenario with the core set with a Tactic deck is all about drawing tons of ennemies and very few locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rougebladez wrote:
Bought the base game and like it.

Have played the mirkwood scenario about 7-8 times to get the hang is the game. Only using one set of heroes from one sphere of influence and not playing shadow cards until I'm a little more xperienced.

My Q is this. I've had about 2 games where even though the encounter deck was well shuffled four locations came out on after the other and I got crucified with all the locations threat and it was game over even with all my heroes committed to the quest. They had a combined willpower of 4 Legolas Gim and Thain.
Was I playing wrong or was it just crap luck.
Or is there a way to overcome or minimise the chances of it happening?

You should try playing with Leadership or Spirit. You chose the hardest sphere to play the Core Set with, due to the low questing ability of the Tactics heroes and allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the 'playable out of the box' positioning, it isn't really. You really need to be deckbuilding, since the mono sphere decks are not comprehensive enough to get you very far. Sure, you can beat the first quest with them, but not much more, and for tactics you need lots of luck to even manage that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should seriously post a warning inside the rule book to not use mono tactics (EDIT: solo) as the first deck.

Edit: clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if you're playing solo. If you're playing with at least one other player, a mono-tactics deck is fine (since the other player is picking up the questing slack).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Only if you're playing solo. If you're playing with at least one other player, a mono-tactics deck is fine (since the other player is picking up the questing slack).

-shnar

Yep, with a friend Tactics is great, but solo I'd avoid it. If, in time, you choose to start building your own decks you'll have far less to worry about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar
True. I tend to forget that some people even play this as a co-op, rather than a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to try playing two handed solo, three heroes of one sphere and a second "hand" of three heroes form another sphere. That will let you see more of the nuance of sphere interaction as well as help get you through the quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vexx Veldarr

California
msg tools
Robrob wrote:
You might want to try playing two handed solo, three heroes of one sphere and a second "hand" of three heroes form another sphere. That will let you see more of the nuance of sphere interaction as well as help get you through the quests.

Yes! I advise new players to play two-handed. It seems at first, like it is more complex - more cards, more counters, etc. But it really isn't and the game is balanced for two. Suddenly Ranged and Sentinel mean something and the combination possibilities open up since you get more cards from more spheres to deal with. Things like Unexpected Courage added to Gimli or Legolas (that in a single handed mono tactics deck is impossible) suddenly make the scenarios a lot easier to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have all your games been with only the Tactics sphere? As others have said, use the first Quest to get used to the game and test out the different Spheres. But start with the spheres in order. There is a reason why Leadership is listed as the first Sphere as it's the most well-balanced. You move through the other mono-sphere decks to learn they have specific strengths and weaknesses. As you've found out with the Tactics sphere, it's a combat powerhouse, but weak in Willpower for questing.

Continue playing through each of the mono-spheres until you learn when you need to use the abilities of which sphere. A big part of the game is knowing what resources you need in your player deck to meet the challenges of whichever scenario you're playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ah, the memories of when I crashed and burned in my first attempts due to the Tactics deck (who doesn't want to start out with Gimli and Legolas?), and my subsequent post on BGG...

OK, on review, my memory is a bit flawed. I started with each deck in player card order (Leadership, then Tactics, then Spirit and Lore). But I still remember being really excited about playing with Legolas and Gimli, only to get pwnd several times before posting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Piepho
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with others that a Tactics monosphere is indeed the toughest to beat the core set quests with. But never rule out crap luck. I remember well playing The Hunt for Gollum, and waiting to acquire the Signs of Gollum clue card so I could advance to the last stage of the quest. I needed the one card, and there were 4 in the encounter deck with only 12-15 cards left, so I figured that I couldn't miss. One finally came up in the staging draw. So, I drew the next card, as the clue was to be "guarded", and the next card was another Signs of Gollum. Yes, this occurred four times in a row, followed by a Hunters from Mordor, which gains +2 threat and +2 attack for each clue card in play. So, I ended up with a 10 threat attack monster! And, yes, the encounter deck had been thoroughly shuffled many times, as I had played the scenario at least 4-5 times before that fateful and highly unstatistical quirk of fate. So, as they say, (stuff) happens!
But, hang in there, as this is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar
True. I tend to forget that some people even play this as a co-op, rather than a solo game.

Pretty much every thread complaining of difficulty is from someone playing alone. I've certainly no complaints even when using just the core set preset decks, but have played exclusively with another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much every thread complaining of difficulty is from someone playing alone. I've certainly no complaints even when using just the core set preset decks, but have played exclusively with another player.

Dont get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I'm just wondering if I was playing it wrong.
As I said earlier I was only using one sphere and not using shadow cards until I got the hang if the game.

I think I'm up to shadow cards now so I'll have a good whack at it during lunch. With just one sphere again and when I've more time I'll try two player hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played it with shadow cards and was doin fine until "the cork in the road when I got hit with two treachery cards that dealt one damage each to gimli and Thalin(?) and lost them both.

Legolas lasted half way down Bjeorns path before the threat beat him.

I reckon I'm ready for a two player hand now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.