Subject: [Poll] What do you think of Obamacare? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
The costs will be published tomorrow. So...

What do you think of Obamacare (the Affordable Care Act)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obamacare

Poll
12. [US CITIZENS] Do you support Obamacare?
Strongly support
Somewhat support
Don't know/Don't care
Somewhat opposed
Strongly opposed
13. [Non-US CITIZENS] Do you support Obamacare
Strongly support
Somewhat support
Don't know/Don't care
Somewhat opposed
Strongly opposed
14. In your best judgment, in 5 years what will have been the overall effect of Obamacare on the lives of Americans? (Obamacare's present form, assuming it is not altered or repealed by congress)
Much better off.
Somewhat better off.
No better or worse.
Somewhat worse.
Much worse.
15. More
I am happy with the status quo US health care system.
I am not happy with the status quo US health care system.
      139 answers
Poll created by tesuji

Because it feels good to voice your opinion.

Of course free to add additional polls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As someone with kids whose scared shitless of losing healthcare coverage if/when I get laid off, I'm all for health insurance exchanges so I don't have to be dependent on my employer.

The rest of it? I didn't see how the ACA would fix the problem with spiraling healthcare costs when it was first passed, and I really don't see it now. ACA was a huge missed opportunity, and not getting Republicans on board with a compromise measure was a huge mistake.

So guess that puts me in the somewhat support category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
The ACA is sort of the Emancipation Proclamation of health care. It's going to take the USA another hundred years to attain a universal health care system. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
dtolman wrote:
I didn't see how the ACA would fix the problem with spiraling healthcare costs when it was first passed, and I really don't see it now. ACA was a huge missed opportunity, and not getting Republicans on board with a compromise measure was a huge mistake.

As far as I understand it, one of the main ideas was to give poor people insurance so they wouldn't have to use the ER for routine care, a very expensive route that we all end up paying for anyway.

The political evolution of this this whole thing has been underwhelming, and it's surely far from perfect. But at least it got passed. Hopefully it will be better than the status quo - seems to me it can't help but be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it does some good, some bad and fixes none of the basic fundamental problems of the US health care system. I think only a nationalized or at least a state-level equivalent health care system can do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
whac3 wrote:
I think only a nationalized or at least a state-level equivalent health care system can do that.

Nothing that reasonable has a chance of happening in America 2013.

In the Semi-Mythical Golden Ages past, it was "We're Americans. We're all in this together."

Now its "Every man/woman for him/herself. And keep your hands where I can see them."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
tesuji wrote:
whac3 wrote:
I think only a nationalized or at least a state-level equivalent health care system can do that.

In the Semi-Mythical Golden Ages past, it was "We're Americans. We're all in this together."

Now its "Every man/woman for him/herself. And keep your hands where I can see them."

Ahh yes, the United States is well-known for its centralized, command economy directed from above.

FDR, Ike and highways,... Sound familiar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtolman wrote:
The rest of it? I didn't see how the ACA would fix the problem with spiraling healthcare costs when it was first passed, and I really don't see it now. ACA was a huge missed opportunity, and not getting Republicans on board with a compromise measure was a huge mistake.

I think the ACA may set us on a path to improved health care in the US but it is not great legislation in and of itself. That said, given that the central component of the ACA was originally a conservative/republican idea first proposed by the Heritage Foundation and later adopted by a republican governor (Romney - Massachusetts) the idea that there needed to be more compromise is absurd. That bill itself is one huge compromise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
whac3 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
tesuji wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Ahh yes, the United States is well-known for its centralized, command economy directed from above.

Totally passé dude. Republicans can't wait for those highways and bridges to crumble. They're no longer needed, apparently. And they're so expensive to maintain. Undoubtedly local bands of citizen patriots will step up and maintain it all themselves, once the evil government fades away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I share the Conservative distrust of the gov't at all levels. I think the legitimate jobs of the federal gov't are:
1. Protecting people, interests and property within the country, protecting citizens, their interests, and their property abroad.
2. maintaining basic infrastructure
3. rendering emergency assistance when requested.
Lower level gov'ts mirror this.

IMO highways, public services (fire depts, police, medical care) are in category 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
whac3 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
tesuji wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Totally passé dude. Republicans can't wait for those highways and bridges to crumble. They're no longer needed, apparently. And they're so expensive to maintain. Undoubtedly local bands of citizen patriots will step up and maintain it all themselves, once the evil government fades away.

No. We will just be riding around in ATVs, Humvees, and repurposed Shermans from the local veteran's lodges.

Roads are for liberal cry babies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
tesuji wrote:
whac3 wrote:

But the Interstate System was primarily conceived by Ike for "National Defense". That it became so much more, including a backbone for commerce was just a bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
SpaceGhost wrote:
tesuji wrote:
whac3 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
tesuji wrote:
whac3 wrote:

No. We will just be riding around in ATVs, Humvees, and repurposed Shermans from the local veteran's lodges.

Now it all makes sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
whac3 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
tesuji wrote:
whac3 wrote:

But the Interstate System was primarily conceived by Ike for "National Defense". That it became so much more, including a backbone for commerce was just a bonus.

No, commercial interests had been uselessly pushing for a highway system for years. Nat'l defense just sold it to the general public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:

Says you, I am going to offer strong poor men free health insurance if they carry me around in a litter:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Meerkat wrote:
whac3 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
tesuji wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Now I understand why the Republicans want to increase defense spending even while calling for reducing the deficit by cutting food stamps. It helps business. Duh. This thread has been so enlightening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry, folks, I'm in a grouchy mood.

Back to the poll, it's interesting that only about half think Obamacare will make things better, but almost everyone thinks the status quo sucks.

So you Obamacare-haters, what system would you propose instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

Now I understand why the Republicans want to increase defense spending even while calling for reducing the deficit by cutting food stamps. It helps business. Duh. This thread has been so enlightening.

The Republicans like the Democrats are for big business. When the Republicans fought for small businesses, they had the support of those Americans who owned businesses or wanted to. The Democrats were then for laborers and the workers.

Big business was assumed to be in an inherently privileged position already by both parties who held the Robber Baron stigma at bay. That system actually worked fairly well.

It's gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
tesuji wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Sounds unamerican

Short period of strong government in the 30-70ies was an aberration caused by specific historical contingencies rather then a culmination of a historical trend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

Back to the poll, it's interesting that only about half think Obamacare will make things better, but almost everyone thinks the status quo sucks.

I think Obama's proposal is an idiotic half-measure made to benefit the insurance companies more then anyone.
There is infinite number of economic reasons as to why it makes no sense whatsoever.

I think that the universal baseline health-care paid out of general revenue while allowing individual purchasing of "luxury"/non-covered add-ons (either directly or through additional insurance) is the only reasonable and ethical way to run health-care system in modern democratic society.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I voted that it hasn't really improved my life much, but then again, given that most of the actual benefits of the law weren't supposed to come into effect until this October anyway, I'm not surprised.

I think that Obamacare is an imperfect solution to a real problem. My hope is that either it gets gutted, forcing a new solution to the health care crisis, or that as problems come up its fixed.

This current situation of government shutdowns over an imperfect law which hasn't really even come into effect is intolerable, however. Either repeal the law, or get out of the way and try and implement the thing.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
New poll out today says that 57% of Americans oppose Obamacare. Which is absolutely amazing given the Democrats' control of the media. Can you imagine if we had an unbiased media what those polls would say?

Quote:
The Democrats are going to face an uphill battle from here on out. We are not just up against the Republican party, we are also up against a systematic, highly-effective campaign of misinformation conducted by their guard/attack dog: the corporate media.

An estimated 80% of all news outlets in the United States are now corporate owned, according to a recent survey. It decides what news we see and why and it decides to an alarming extent what movies, books, and television programs will be pushed at the public, and which will never see the light of day. Even scarier, this Media Mafia can also “fix” the stock market reports, manipulate elections and drive any opposition into the ground with their financial clout.

By controlling the media outlets, they (the GOP) maintain a grip on the mind of the average American, who only knows “I saw it on the news.”

"The Media Mafia" by Cheryl Seal, Democrats.com

http://archive.democrats.com/view.cfm?id=1275

I love how both sides are absolutely convinced that the media is biased- if not actively working against them.

Fun fun fun.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

I'm not a hater, but why can't we start with a law that requires medical services to actually publish their costs/services? I mean, we can do it when it goes to how many calories my #16 from McD's will get me, so why not at the doctor's office? I can't think of a single other good or service where you walk in and simply take your chances when it comes to costs.

I know there was one doctor I think in the NE who was going to stop accepting insurance, and simply post the costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
New poll out today says that 57% of Americans oppose Obamacare. Which is absolutely amazing given the Democrats' control of the media. Can you imagine if we had an unbiased media what those polls would say?

Is that the same one that says
Quote:

39% of all Americans oppose the health care law because it's too liberal, with 11% of the public saying they oppose the measure because it isn't liberal enough. Add that 11% to the 38% who say they favor the law and that means that about half the public supports the law or don't think it goes far enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
tesuji wrote:

The Republicans like the Democrats are for big business. When the Republicans fought for small businesses, they had the support of those Americans who owned businesses or wanted to. The Democrats were then for laborers and the workers.

Big business was assumed to be in an inherently privileged position already by both parties who held the Robber Baron stigma at bay. That system actually worked fairly well.

It's gone.

Now now Moshe. Businesses are people too, the Supreme Court said so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.